Re: flaws

  • CrashFu
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 2009
      Speaking of flaws! I've been considering one myself, and haven't been exactly sure how to do it.

      The idea is an "Oath of Blindness" flaw. Essentially, the character willingly keeps themselves blindfolded, for whatever reason, gaining all of the disadvantages of actual blindness, except that in extreme enough cases they might take a peek.

      I imagine one would just go with blindness but lower the point value one or two points, depending on how severe the circumstances have to be for the character to break their oath? IE, "almost never" would make it a 4-point flaw, while "any time they need to read something" would only be 3-points?

      --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, Ithiaca Dreamweaver <Ithiaca@...> wrote:

      > Check the files section, there are several lists I do believe?
      >
      > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Donkey <donkeyears@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I was not a member a year ago. There is a great deal that has been said
      > > that I know nothing about.
      > >
      > > Has someone done a list of advantages and flaws that are not in the books?
      > >
      > > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Henry Thiel <
      > > bengaley.summercat@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >> Yup. Vanity, especially in the nobility, is genderless. It just varies
      > >> depending.
      > >>
      > >> It's definatly a Social/Personal Flaw, and at one point, just limits your
      > >> options. Mmm.
      > >>
      > >> Wasn't this suggested before, a year or so ago?

      > > I don't know that many guys that are vain. With me not liking pretty boys I
      > > would really not know any guys that are vain.

      > --
      > The fears, prejudices and limitations that we impose on ourselves must
      > someday pass, because they are not as real as hope, tolerance and
      > possibility. - Gene Roddenberry, Creator of "Star Trek"

    • hobbygoblin_1086
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
        Just out of curiosity, what would be the point value and possible game effects of a "gelded" flaw?
      • Frank Sronce
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
          That would basically just be being a eunuch, in human terms. I'd put it
          at a -1 Flaw in the typical Ironclaw setting, about like being declawed.

          In a Roman-esque setting, where being a eunuch actually opened up new
          political opportunities, it might be 0 points.

          Kiz

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
            One from my own campaign:

            Berserker (-1 Points): Whenever you would become Confused, Enraged or
            Afraid, you become Berserk instead.

            The only person with it so far is a wolverine atavist known as "The
            Beast". :-)

            Kiz
          • Ithiaca Dreamweaver
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
              Gelded- I think would also have a Social Stigma attached to it ( just like being de-clawed). Mostly for the fact of why would someone need to be Gelded in the first place? I can think of several good reasons to the Punishment of Guilding to fit the Crime.

              hobbygoblin_1086 wrote:
              > Just out of curiosity, what would be the point value and possible game effects of a "gelded" flaw?

              The fears, prejudices and limitations that we impose on ourselves must someday pass, because they are not as real as hope, tolerance and possibility. - Gene Roddenberry, Creator of "Star Trek"
            • Donkey
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
                being declawed is worth two points. One for not having the claw advantage and another for the stigma of being declawed.

                hobbygoblin_1086 wrote:
                > Just out of curiosity, what would be the point value and possible game effects of a "gelded" flaw?

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mailto:ironclaw-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mailto:ironclaw-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Roadstripe
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 3, 2009
                  I think how much of a Flaw being a eunuch is would depend on the setting. It would probably be a greater flaw in Calabria than in Zhongguo.

                  I think the Calabrese in general would probably see it as a loss of "manliness" (for a lack of better term) unless the eunuch belonged to one of the stricter orders of S'allumer (eg. the Haimorrs) or has a Career or something that would benefit from being Gelded (eg. the castrati of the musical scene -- basically, someone with the Career of Entertainer and the Skill of Trade: Singing. Of course, why a castrati would waste his time gallivanting around with adventurers instead of raking in the aureals in the theaters is beyond me.)

                  In Zhongguo, eunuchs would be much better appreciated. In China, there was a long tradition of distinguished eunuchs serving as generals and admirals. Many of the emperor's closest advisers were eunuchs. I imagine Zhongguo would be the same.

                  Perhaps eunuch should not be a Flaw. A character who is one should take an appropriate Bad Reputation: Unmanly, Good Reputation: Dedicated to the Emperor/Haimorrous, or whatever, depending upon Career and setting. Still, anyone trying to influence them with Sensuality would get a Penalty while Romance and anything related to Lust would not affect the eunuch as much as a regular person (if at all).