Re: [ironclaw] Well, a decent question (racial die specailites)

  • Gaze
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
      Arlene Medder wrote:

      > Are any of them atavists? That's one reason right there. There's also
      > the higher level die beats the same number (ie a 6 from a d12, d4,
      > beats a 6 from a d8)
      > Arlene J.
      >
      > Quoting narsith <Auralance_1ad@...
      > <mailto:Auralance_1ad%40hotmail.com>>:
      >
      > > I noticed something.....not many players have anything higher than a
      > > d12 in there race die...they mostly dont feel that its worth it because
      > > they dont get anything special. my players are driving me nuts
      > > complaining about it....im asking you guy if you know of a way to
      > > balance this mess....or could help me with some of it?
      > >
      > > Leerrii U. Narsith
      > > ...oh p.s.: Pax Vobiscum.... laters

      yep i have a 3d12 in race here just because of atavist here
    • Gabrial Fox
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        I tend to use the racial die a lot in my games, and in the ones I run. See I use the "in
        environment" stats a lot (maybe more loose than y'all). I also tend to use the "racial sense" in
        a wide variety of situations. Perhaps it is just a difference in game style, but I find that by accentuating the animalistic side of both the characters and the societies it balances the use
        of the racial stat and gives the whole thing that extra sense of the alien that shows off the
        difference between this system and some of the others on the market.

        --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "narsith" <Auralance_1ad@...> wrote:

        > I noticed something.....not many players have anything higher than a
        > d12 in there race die...they mostly dont feel that its worth it because
        > they dont get anything special. my players are driving me nuts
        > complaining about it....im asking you guy if you know of a way to
        > balance this mess....or could help me with some of it?
        >
        > Leerrii U. Narsith
        > ...oh p.s.: Pax Vobiscum.... laters

      • Michael Lipton
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 12, 2007
          Rare is it for any of my players to change their traits after startup,
          except for their careers. This is because of the massive amounts of
          points it takes mostly, and I don't give out tons of free XP like I
          have seen other GMs do.

          Often race can be ignored as it is not seen as directly applicable to
          combat, if your group is the smash-and-bash type of players. Speed,
          Will, Body and Career usually are what are looked at for such things.
        • gunslinger_fabbit
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 12, 2007
            --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Lipton" <tahlorn@...> wrote:

            > Rare is it for any of my players to change their traits after startup,
            > except for their careers. This is because of the massive amounts of
            > points it takes mostly, and I don't give out tons of free XP like I
            > have seen other GMs do.
            >
            > Often race can be ignored as it is not seen as directly applicable to
            > combat, if your group is the smash-and-bash type of players. Speed,
            > Will, Body and Career usually are what are looked at for such things.

            Just to throw in my two cents... in the one game I was successfully
            able to run (hard to find people interested in IC/JC in my area it
            seems) I had a character that would put most points into Race. He was
            a hand to hand fighter, so the extra dice to his natural weapons
            helped him, plus I think he had dodge as one of his race skills. Just
            proves that picking race can sometimes be more important than picking
            class ^_~.
          • Arlene Medder
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 12, 2007
              There is a way, if the host likes, to encourage smash-&-bash types to
              raise their race die. Put them in situations in which they rely upon
              their natural weapons (to hit = brawl skill, race, and speed, after
              all).

              If their weapon(s) is not particularly valuable or difficult to
              replace, then have someone sabotage their weapon(s) so that it breaks.
              If it is valuable/hard to replace, then have someone steal it. That
              leads to the whole chase/quest thing to recover the stolen weapon(s).

              Arlene J.