Re: a dicotomous situation

  • Sarcosis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
      "You'll have to be more specific on where these bonuses are coming
      from. if they are favored uses that apply, then the more than likely
      will."

      basically the jist of my question was: if a spirit or which hunter
      runs across somthing like a pack of pixies, a ghost, a vampire, leigon
      of zombies or random other mystic creature of supernatural basis,
      would they get plusses to battleing it instead of being a regular joe
      schmoe?

      > 05: how would you deal with a necromancer in IC/JC? do healing spells
      > do double damage on him rather then heal him? what about his minions
      > and undead leigons?

      "Necromancers are affected by white magic in the same way as anyone
      else would be. their undead minions on the other hand carry the
      "Unholy" trait, and will not be affected by any positive healing
      measures that white, or sacredotal magic has to offer. Further, they
      are susceptible to damaging clergy spells, such as "Turn Unholy".
      Their living masters are nothing more than mortals who carry dread
      knowledge, and therefore will not be affected in any way that is
      adverse (barring they don't bear a mark of nine or similar curse)"

      1: Sacredotical? please explain?
      2: Mark of Nine? again, please explain? is that like the Evil eye from
      the Phelan book?
      3: basically put, healing magic doesn't do jack squat and a cleric is
      what is needed in said situation, correct?

      aside from that, thanks for the advice. I shall relay that to the
      group for future reference so as to make sure things flow smoothly.
    • Frank Sronce
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
        Sarcosis wrote:
        > "You'll have to be more specific on where these bonuses are coming
        > from. if they are favored uses that apply, then the more than likely
        > will."
        >
        > basically the jist of my question was: if a spirit or which hunter
        > runs across somthing like a pack of pixies, a ghost, a vampire, leigon
        > of zombies or random other mystic creature of supernatural basis,
        > would they get plusses to battleing it instead of being a regular joe
        > schmoe?

        In general, the only bonus that you might get is getting to include your
        Career die with tests even if it doesn't exactly match one of your
        Career skills.

        >> 05: how would you deal with a necromancer in IC/JC? do healing spells
        >> do double damage on him rather then heal him? what about his minions
        >> and undead leigons?
        >>

        > "Necromancers are affected by white magic in the same way as anyone
        > else would be. their undead minions on the other hand carry the
        > "Unholy" trait, and will not be affected by any positive healing
        > measures that white, or sacredotal magic has to offer. Further, they
        > are susceptible to damaging clergy spells, such as "Turn Unholy".
        > Their living masters are nothing more than mortals who carry dread
        > knowledge, and therefore will not be affected in any way that is
        > adverse (barring they don't bear a mark of nine or similar curse)"
        >
        > 1: Sacredotical? please explain?
        > 2: Mark of Nine? again, please explain? is that like the Evil eye from
        > the Phelan book?
        > 3: basically put, healing magic doesn't do jack squat and a cleric is
        > what is needed in said situation, correct?

        "Sacerdotal" magic is a spin-off form of White Magic from the
        Avoirdupois supplement. The Mark of Nine is a black magic curse from
        that same supplement.

        There's nothing _inherently_ evil about knowing Black Magic in the
        Ironclaw setting, so necromancers are just ordinary folk who know how to
        do bad things. White Magic affects them normally.

        Kiz

      • foxwinter1995@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2007
          Well, you could gain bonuses against them in a situation where the character might favor an attack "Against those with an Unholy Trait" or "Against evil Wizards/Against Necromancers", but doing so is less advantageous than simply specializing "With Favored Weapon".

          "Mark of Nine" places a curse on the recipient in which they become considered "Unholy" for the purposes of White Magic.  It is listed in an appendix of Avoirdupois entitled "Secrets of the Apostasy" or something like that.  Apostatic or Etegnoir magic is specialized Black Magic designed by members of a cult that is dedicated to discrediting and destroying the church of S'Alumer.  It has two increased forms:  The Mark of 27, and the Mark of 81 that have increasingly negative effects (including causing White magic cast on the bearer of the mark to suffer the same chance of summoning an evil spirit as Black magic).

          As far as being ordinary people who know evil magic goes; that is true in mechanic.  On the other hand, a person who learns black magic usually does so for the purpose of furthering evil designs, as the craft has no application other than to destroy.  It is an evil art evidenced by the whole 666 summoning of evil thing.  In my games, I slowly degrade the character's morality due to their exposure to the essence of evil that they use, but that is something that I add.

          See what's free at AOL.com.