Shield Fans

  • David
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
      Can you gain the Shield Fan's cover die if it's used as a weapon in
      the round?

      May the sheild fan be used as a weapon and Shield in the same round?
      (IE: to attack and Block?) Or can it only then be used to Parry?

      This becomes important for specific Exploits and manuevers, and such,
      allowing extra attacks, blocks, etc.

      I suppose it would not matter saying a character with 'attack
      twice/thrice' could alternate his weapons, and still use the 'off
      hand' one to block with. (Attack Twice this taking place of 'Strike
      Tandem'.) Only in the low levels is this important, when Strike
      Tandem is all you have. Aslo, I assume since 'tandem' is a manuver,
      as is 'Attack Twice/Thrice' the off hand weapon becomes moot, IE: no
      additional attack, when you gain 'Twice/Thrice.

      Also, it stands to reason that as Shield Fans go up in size, so too
      does their cover dice? Or is it simply their size in relation to the
      characters?

      Finally:

      Full stone Fan: Damage is listed as 2d8. 3/4 Stone fan is listed as
      d8, d8...
      Given the progression of d4 / d8 / d8, d4 / 2d8 / I'd assume the Full
      Stone's Damage to actually be 2d8, d4?

      I don't have the new printing of JC (I really really want it! I can
      finally afford it, but can't ORDER it, for all my trying...)
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
        This needs answered soon, hopefully officially, as it's an issue on
        RPOL for my new character.

        > Full stone Fan: Damage is listed as 2d8. 3/4 Stone fan is listed as
        > d8, d8...
        > Given the progression of d4 / d8 / d8, d4 / 2d8 / I'd assume the Full
        > Stone's Damage to actually be 2d8, d4?
      • eric_kreon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
          --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arkloyd_duwier@...> wrote:

          > This needs answered soon, hopefully officially, as it's an issue on
          > RPOL for my new character.
          >
          > > Full stone Fan: Damage is listed as 2d8. 3/4 Stone fan is listed
          as
          > > d8, d8...
          > > Given the progression of d4 / d8 / d8, d4 / 2d8 / I'd assume the
          Full
          > > Stone's Damage to actually be 2d8, d4?

          what game? I was looking to join one, then rl shot up and all went to
          pot.
        • David
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2007
            I'll leave that up to who's running it. I'll not presume to say if
            their's an opening or not, because I'm simply not sure.

            I'm just trying to get a question answered that I should have asked a
            long time ago, should be in errata (but has carried over to the new
            edition) and has become an issue to my current character.
            The GM and I would both like to know about the damage progression of
            both Iron Fans and Fighting wheels.

            I'll ask if their's an opening, after I get an answer to this question.

            --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "eric_kreon" <jdkammerling@...> wrote:

            > --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arkloyd_duwier@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This needs answered soon, hopefully officially, as it's an issue on
            > > RPOL for my new character.
            > >
            > > > Full stone Fan: Damage is listed as 2d8. 3/4 Stone fan is listed
            > as
            > > > d8, d8...
            > > > Given the progression of d4 / d8 / d8, d4 / 2d8 / I'd assume the
            > Full
            > > > Stone's Damage to actually be 2d8, d4?
            > >
            > what game? I was looking to join one, then rl shot up and all went
            > pot.

          • Sanguine Marketing
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
              Hi David,

              per JC page 87 under Shield Fan note, you can only do one defense maneuver per fan. So yes, you can use fan to attack and then use it to either parry or block.

              No, the shield fan's size remains the same because it is their size in relation to the character. Plus it needs to be flexible ( i.e. flimsy) enough to be able collapse and open smoothly.

              Yes, you are corrected. Full Stone Iron Fan has damage of 2d8, d4.

              hope these helps,

              --
              Cordially,

              Chuan Lin