[ironclaw] Question: Use of Experience Points in Revamping Old Characters

  • Plano Cutie
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      Ok, so as I'm going along I've gotten a good load of experience going in the last dozen sessions or so. The fact is I've designed the character pretty weakly to begin with and so I'm suffering on buying extra skills, improving my body and mind dice, and thinking of buying an extra career. The GM has given everyone permission to re-organize themselves. Design a BRAND NEW beginning character, and use the dozen experience points awarded to put him up to the current campaign level, even with NPC's the magic dice have been turning up absolute failure on key rolls.

      So on designing a character from top to bottom for spell casting (no one bothered to be a cleric and the NPC cleric kept getting killed off, two overwhelming failures in a row on death test) Anyone got any ideas to keep spell caster on par with the rest of the folks in fighting without sacrificing too much? I'm trying to make an Apprentice / Journeyman Cleric + Apprentice Thaumaturge with 'A' fighting skill or two to keep from looking too much of an NPC.

      Everyone in the campaign has a minimum of 2 careers, and I'm still wondering how someone fitted Sailor, Marine, Water Elementalist, Merchant with the gifts of Wealth and Royalty together.

    • Mark Harrington
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
        The following is a NPC I supplied running an adhoc Ironclaw game at
        A-Kon a couple of years ago:
        NAME: Sister Fionna of S'allumer;
        RACE: Female White Cat
        JOB: Journeywoman Cleric/ Journeywoman Thaumaturge
        BODY: d6 [] Extra Trait/ d4 (03)[] Curious [-03]
        MIND: d8 [] Strength +1 (02) [] Duty/ Healer [-03]
        WILL: d10[] Belongings-2 (02) [] Gregarious [-01]
        SPEED:d12[] Claws (01) [] Soft-Hearted [-03]
        CAT: d4 [] Night Vision (01) []
        CLERIC:d8[] Teeth (01) []
        THAUMATURGE: d4 [] TOTAL 10 [] -10 = 0
        SKILLS: pts Stat Race Clc Thau Skill Total
        Acrobatics: -- d12 d4 --- d12, d4
        Climbing: -- d12 d4 --- d12, d4
        Stealth: -- d12 d4 --- d12, d4
        Literacy: -- d8 d8 d4 --- 2d8, d4
        Lore/ Magic:-- d8 d4 --- d8, d4
        Meditation: -- d8 d8 d4 --- 2d8, d4
        Theology: -- d8 d8 --- 2d8
        Dodge: 05 d12 d12 2d12
        First Aid: 03 d8 d8 2d8
        Observation:01 d8 d4 d8, d4
        Resolve: 05 d10 d12 d12, d10
        Staff: 05 d12 d12 2d12
        TOTAL 19 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        ADEPT SPELLS: pts /Type/ Effect [] SOAK: d8, d6, d4
        Circle of Protection: 02 / WA / 2d12, R [] INIT: d12, d8
        Cure – I 05 / WA / 5d8, R [] ATTACK/S: 2d12
        Dispel Magic – I 03 / TA / 3d12, R [] PARRY/S: 2d12, d6
        Healing – I 03 / WA / 3d4, R [] DAMAGE/S: d10, d8
        J. Privilege Thaum 01 / TJ / 1d12, P [] ATTACK/N: d12, d4
        J. Privilege White 01 / WJ / 1d12, P [] PARRY/N: d12
        Lesser Facility 01 / TJ / 1d12, D [] DAMAGE/N: d8, d6
        Life's Whisper 02 / WA / 2d10, R [] LIFT: +3
        Light 01 / TA / 1d6, R [] DASH: 12
        Protection/ Rain 02 / TA / 2d8, R [] STRIDE: 03
        Protection – I 02 / TA / 2d6, R [] HEIGHT: 13 hands
        Scry Magic – I 01 / TA / 1d10, R [] WEIGHT: 44 kilograms
        Scry Spirit – I 01 / WA / 1d10, R [] MASS: 07 Stone
        EQUIPMENT: Books: Kyndrangar's Thaumaturgy, Testaments of Helloise;
        Reinforced Leather Armor, ½ Stone Staff, Pack Rouncy, Camping
        Supplies, Healing Supplies, Field Kit, 2x Changes of Clothing,
        WORKING ON: Spells: Delay (3), Lazarus Heart (2), Life's Breath (3),
        Protection versus Weather (2)
        The character for the adventure were built on 10 xp awards but to
        fit in everything she needed she ended up with 12xp!