Re: [ironclaw] Re: And another flaw...

  • athelind@stormdancer.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30, 2004
      On 30 Jun 2004 at 9:15, jj tobako wrote:

      > it's more about gameplay and is -3 fair. a social game where you stay
      > away from the dukes wife when she's in heat but you don't know that
      > because your pheromone receptors are shot and now she's after you (as is
      > her husband) might be -4; a game where tracking people across the
      > wilderness is the norm might be -3 (you loose your race die and maybe
      > more if there aren't footprints and such); and a wargame or one that the
      > host doesn't deal much with the furry difference (the fursuit option) -2
      > or less.

      I might rate it higher if your Race has Smell as a Racial Sense --
      it's a bigger handicap, both personally, and in your racial
      subculture.

      -- Your Obedient Serpent
    • Athelind Stormdancer
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2004
        --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "" <pbourque@c...> wrote:
        > Just as an aside, do any of you folks have (potentially)
        anachronistic characters that wear corrective eyewear? I forget
        offhand what the point rebate is for Poor Vision (-1?). Depending
        on how the GM handled things (...does getting his/her glasses
        knocked off happen very often?), I can imagine wanting some kind of
        rebate for the flaw. If Poor Vision is -2 or -3, having "Needs
        Glasses" as a -1 point Flaw seems somewhat appropriate...

        "Needs Glasses" IS the Flaw of Poor Vision. There's no price change.

        The listing for Poor Vision STATES:

        "You may be able to get 'spectacles' to correct your vision. Such
        lenses must be custom-made for you and are an Expensive item."

        The cost of the Flaw does not change. The "reduced value" of the
        Flaw is reflected in the point you spend for the Gift of Belongings
        (or the five points you spend for the Gift of Wealth). You've spent
        points that other characters don't have to spend -- and as a
        beginning character, that's one of only ten points you can spend on
        Gifts.

        IRONCLAW doesn't double-charge characters by charging points for a
        Gift that compensates for a Flaw AND reducing the value of the Flaw
        itself.

        Yes, someone who has the Flaw of Poor Vision and the Gift of
        Belongings: Spectacles has a slight edge over someone who only has
        the Flaw, but that can be easily removed with a good cuff to the
        face and a quick stomp. If you've cut the cost of the Flaw to
        reflect the Spectacles, what do you do then? Suddenly bestow more
        points upon the character?

        If you don't take the Gift at character creation, but later have a
        windfall of money at some point during play and can PURCHASE
        spectacles, that's still an Opportunity Cost that other characters
        don't have to pay. If you tend to break your spectacles a LOT, then
        that's an ONGOING expense that those around you needn't, um, expend.

        If you're really, really careful and cautious and AVOID doing things
        that will break your spectacles, then that's a limit on your ACTIONS
        that, once again, those around you don't have. Right, Tybalt?

        Note, finally, that The Flaw of Poor Vision covers not only near-
        sightedness, but the Flaw of One Eye, mentioned in PHELAN (under the
        Evil Eye Trait) but never actually listed by that name. The only
        difference is narrative -- someone with One Eye can't purchase the
        Gift of Belongings to compensate. He doesn't get any ADDITIONAL
        points -- other than NOT having to spend those Gift points on
        spectacles. He might also use that to justify the Flaws of Ill-
        Favored or Eerie -- or he cut a dashing, swashbuckling figure in
        that eyepatch, like Captain Harlock.

        --Your Obedient Serpent
      • jj tobako
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2004

          > > it's more about gameplay and is -3 fair. a social game where you
          > stay
          > > away from the dukes wife when she's in heat but you don't know
          > that
          > > because your pheromone receptors are shot and now she's after you
          > (as is
          > > her husband) might be -4; a game where tracking people across the
          > > wilderness is the norm might be -3 (you loose your race die and
          > maybe
          > > more if there aren't footprints and such); and a wargame or one
          > that the
          > > host doesn't deal much with the furry difference (the fursuit
          > option) -2
          > > or less.
          >
          > I might rate it higher if your Race has Smell as a Racial
          > Sense --
          > it's a bigger handicap, both personally, and in your racial
          > subculture.
          >
          > -- Your Obedient Serpent

          i was assuming the race had a smell test, otherwise you don't loose the
          game effect such as tracking by smell. for races without smell tests,
          maybe -1 or -2 (-2 if pheromones are used/important)

          don't forget that a flaw that can kill you on a regular basis is only
          worth what, -4? (once a session, risk your life) so the numbers i have
          are probably high, even with a racial test being taken away.

          john tobako

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!