Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

(Yet another) new internal flaw or two

Expand Messages
  • script-fox
    I wrote this one up some time back but I don t think I ever posted it to the list. If my memory has short-circuited and I did, please forgive the double post:
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      I wrote this one up some time back but I don't think I ever posted it
      to the list. If my memory has short-circuited and I did, please
      forgive the double post:

      Paranoia: (-1 to –5)
      In general, paranoia is an intense feeling of persecution or trouble
      that is often (and usually unreasonably) blamed for any problems or
      potential problems. The modifiers for paranoia are determined by the
      object of the paranoia (frequency) and the strength of it (how
      obsessed you are with the object of your paranoia).

      Frequency-

      Rare: The target of your paranoia is limited to a specific person or
      object. E.g. "The Baron Dupris" or "that cursed Autarch tablet I
      broke". –1 points

      Uncommon: The target of your paranoia could be multiple people or
      objects, but they are linked in a specific way to some particular
      event or idea: e.g. "The people who saw me at the hanging" or "the
      goods of my mother that I abandoned on her death." –2 points

      Common: The target of your paranoia is a broad class or range of
      people or objects, linked in no specific way except as a vague idea.
      "The Rich", "Innkeepers", "Thieves and cutpurses", etc… -3 points

      Strength-

      Moderate: You logically assume the object of your paranoia is the
      cause of any trouble that can be traced back to it. Your attempts to
      trace it back seem logical on the surface, and a stranger to you would
      easily be persuaded that you had a normal, rational reason to assume
      what you do. As they know you better, they realize that your logic is
      serving your paranoia, not the other way around. No points

      Strong: You seize upon any pretext to blame your object, to the
      amazement of anyone trying to logically understand your argument.
      Given a moderate amount of provocation, you can hold forth
      passionately on your subject. Extra –1 points

      Extreme: The object of your paranoia has reached obsession level. It
      is all you can think of, to the exclusion of anything other than
      perhaps things related directly to your health and well-being. Given
      little or NO encouragement, you can hold forth on your subject for
      hours, in a rambling and totally nonsensical matter. Extra –2 points

      Note: anyone with a paranoia strong enough to qualify for -5 points is
      about two steps ahead of the men in white coats.

      Hair Trigger (Common, Moderate; -3 points)
      This is the flip side of skittishness. Where a skittish person's
      instinctive reaction to unexpected happenings is fear and flight, the
      reaction of a person with a hair trigger is anger and fight. It
      results in instinctive attacks against the perceived threat. Possible
      results can be as mild as embarrassment (e.g. the waiter coughs behind
      you and your upflung paw throws the plate of food onto his face) to
      downright tragic (one of your friends or family grab you from behind
      with no warning, and you bury a dagger in them in a split-second.)
    • tim
      ... i don t think i understand this. don t non-paranoid people assume that something is the cause of any trouble that can be traced back to it? maybe it just
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        > Paranoia: (-1 to –5)
        > Moderate: You logically assume the object of your paranoia is the
        > cause of any trouble that can be traced back to it. Your attempts to
        > trace it back seem logical on the surface, and a stranger to you
        > would
        > easily be persuaded that you had a normal, rational reason to assume
        > what you do. As they know you better, they realize that your logic
        > is serving your paranoia, not the other way around. No points

        i don't think i understand this. don't non-paranoid people assume
        that something is the cause of any trouble that can be traced back to
        it? maybe it just needs to be worded more clearly for thick-headed
        people like me.

        > Hair Trigger (Common, Moderate; -3 points)

        i like it.



        tim
      • Christian Clampitt
        ... the ... attempts to ... assume ... logic ... to ... I like the way you deal with Paranoia, and Hair Trigger seems interesting too. Just curious now, how do
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "tim" <silat_guy@y...> wrote:
          > > Paranoia: (-1 to –5)
          > > Moderate: You logically assume the object of your paranoia is
          the
          > > cause of any trouble that can be traced back to it. Your
          attempts to
          > > trace it back seem logical on the surface, and a stranger to you
          > > would
          > > easily be persuaded that you had a normal, rational reason to
          assume
          > > what you do. As they know you better, they realize that your
          logic
          > > is serving your paranoia, not the other way around. No points
          >
          > i don't think i understand this. don't non-paranoid people assume
          > that something is the cause of any trouble that can be traced back
          to
          > it? maybe it just needs to be worded more clearly for thick-headed
          > people like me.
          >
          > > Hair Trigger (Common, Moderate; -3 points)
          >
          > i like it.
          >
          >
          >
          > tim


          I like the way you deal with Paranoia, and Hair Trigger seems
          interesting too. Just curious now, how do you think you'd go about
          making a Schizophrenia (excuse me if the spelling is off) flaw?
        • Rikoshi Kisaragi
          ... if the spelling is off) flaw?
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Clampitt"
            <chichiobears@y...> wrote:

            >>how do you think you'd go about making a Schizophrenia (excuse me
            if the spelling is off) flaw?<<

            I'm going to maintain that a character with schizophrenia would be
            entirely unsuitable for just about any role-playing game campaign, to
            be honest.

            ==Rikoshi
          • chris kidder
            ... Not necessarily true... There is a great game out there called Asylum by Clockworks that depends on everyone having afflictions such as Schizophrenia.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              >I'm going to maintain that a character with schizophrenia would be
              >entirely unsuitable for just about any role-playing game campaign, to
              >be honest.
              >
              >==Rikoshi


              Not necessarily true... There is a great game out there called "Asylum"
              by Clockworks that depends on everyone having afflictions such as
              Schizophrenia. However, in creating the trait, one has to know if you
              mean true Schizophrenia which mostly involves hearing voices, or
              Multiple Personality Disorder, which is what used to be called
              schizophrenia by most. Either way, I'd recommend grabbing a copy of
              Asylum and see how they treated each, and then adapt it to IC.
            • Kevin Clark
              ... From: Rikoshi Kisaragi To: Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 11:01 AM Subject: [ironclaw] Re: (Yet
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                ----- Original Message -----
                From: "Rikoshi Kisaragi" <rikoshi_kogara@...>
                To: <ironclaw@yahoogroups.com>
                Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 11:01 AM
                Subject: [ironclaw] Re: (Yet another) new internal flaw or two


                > --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Clampitt"
                > <chichiobears@y...> wrote:
                >
                > >>how do you think you'd go about making a Schizophrenia (excuse me
                > if the spelling is off) flaw?<<
                >
                > I'm going to maintain that a character with schizophrenia would be
                > entirely unsuitable for just about any role-playing game campaign, to
                > be honest.

                I'm mostly with Rikoshi on this one, though the gift of "Past Life" comes
                close.
              • Ted MacKinnon
                ... comes ... Hah. One of my online characters should start hearing voices, soon (Charism: Locutions), and it has nothing to do with being crazy. Only thing
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Clark" <tarotmage2002@n...>
                  wrote:
                  > I'm mostly with Rikoshi on this one, though the gift of "Past Life"
                  comes
                  > close.

                  Hah. One of my online characters should start hearing voices, soon
                  (Charism: Locutions), and it has nothing to do with being crazy.
                  Only thing is, this was bought with experience, so what do you
                  suppose the character will think? :)

                  "I'm going mad! I must tell...nobody!" [gibber gibber]

                  Ted
                • athelind@stormdancer.net
                  ... You THINK. -- Your Cynical Serpent
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 3 Jun 2004 at 18:47, Ted MacKinnon wrote:

                    > Hah. One of my online characters should start hearing voices, soon
                    > (Charism: Locutions), and it has nothing to do with being crazy.

                    You THINK.

                    -- Your Cynical Serpent
                  • Rikoshi Kisaragi
                    ... soon ... Would it be bad of me to point out, here, that NIKULAI hears voices, as well? ==Rikoshi, not-so-innocent Game Host
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, athelind@s... wrote:
                      > On 3 Jun 2004 at 18:47, Ted MacKinnon wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hah. One of my online characters should start hearing voices,
                      soon
                      > > (Charism: Locutions), and it has nothing to do with being crazy.
                      >
                      > You THINK.
                      >
                      > -- Your Cynical Serpent

                      Would it be bad of me to point out, here, that NIKULAI hears voices,
                      as well?

                      ==Rikoshi, not-so-innocent Game Host
                    • athelind@stormdancer.net
                      ... You think His Most Learned Excellency isn t doubting his OWN sanity? You KNOW he s taking said voice(s) with a grain of salt, rather than just assuming
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 4 Jun 2004 at 1:23, Rikoshi Kisaragi wrote:

                        > Would it be bad of me to point out, here, that NIKULAI hears voices,
                        > as well?

                        You think His Most Learned Excellency isn't doubting his OWN sanity?

                        You KNOW he's taking said voice(s) with a grain of salt, rather than
                        just assuming they're Divinely Benevolent.

                        It's rather surreal that they only seem to speak to him when he's
                        about to fire his carbine...

                        -- Athelind

                        (Nik... use the Force, Nik... trust your feelings...)
                      • Rikoshi Kisaragi
                        ... to ... called Asylum ... you ... Granted, in this instance, we re talking about a game system that s specifically *designed* to deal with people who have
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                        • 0 Attachment
                          --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "chris kidder" <chris.kidder@s...>
                          wrote:
                          >
                          > >I'm going to maintain that a character with schizophrenia would be
                          > >entirely unsuitable for just about any role-playing game campaign,
                          to
                          > >be honest.
                          > >
                          > >==Rikoshi
                          >
                          >
                          > Not necessarily true... There is a great game out there
                          called "Asylum"
                          > by Clockworks that depends on everyone having afflictions such as
                          > Schizophrenia. However, in creating the trait, one has to know if
                          you
                          > mean true Schizophrenia which mostly involves hearing voices, or
                          > Multiple Personality Disorder, which is what used to be called
                          > schizophrenia by most. Either way, I'd recommend grabbing a copy of
                          > Asylum and see how they treated each, and then adapt it to IC.

                          Granted, in this instance, we're talking about a game system that's
                          specifically *designed* to deal with people who have mental
                          disorders. I think it would take a very specific sort of Ironclaw
                          campaign to accommodate such a character.

                          ...

                          Then again, I'm thinking about a whole host of my OWN characters in
                          my current campaign... Bianca, Ilandru, Shen Yi... I think I've
                          talked myself straight into Hypocrites' Corner (tm)! HUZZAH!

                          ==Rikoshi

                          P.S. Thankyouthankyouthankyou THANK YOU for knowing (and NOTING)
                          that schizophrenia is NOT the same thing as multiple personalities.
                          That's one of my pet peeves, for some reason...
                        • fsronce
                          ... Yeah, I was just thinking that Schizophrenia might only exist in Ironclaw as a negative form of Past Life or Locutions... if the voices in your head tell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 3, 2004
                          • 0 Attachment
                            athelind@... wrote:

                            > On 3 Jun 2004 at 18:47, Ted MacKinnon wrote:
                            >
                            >
                            >>Hah. One of my online characters should start hearing voices, soon
                            >>(Charism: Locutions), and it has nothing to do with being crazy.
                            >
                            >
                            > You THINK.
                            >
                            > -- Your Cynical Serpent


                            Yeah, I was just thinking that Schizophrenia might only exist in
                            Ironclaw as a negative form of Past Life or Locutions... if the voices
                            in your head tell you to do _bad_ things, then it's a flaw, not a Gift.

                            Kiz
                            --
                            http://www.kizandjenn.com
                            Nuclear Beasts Design Blog! http://www.kizandjenn.com/blog
                          • athelind@stormdancer.net
                            ... Of course, all of them are NPCs, so you re covered there. Of course, the PLAYER CHARACTERS are all hearing voices in one manner or another, too. Nik is
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On 4 Jun 2004 at 1:29, Rikoshi Kisaragi wrote:

                              > Then again, I'm thinking about a whole host of my OWN characters in
                              > my current campaign... Bianca, Ilandru, Shen Yi... I think I've
                              > talked myself straight into Hypocrites' Corner (tm)! HUZZAH!
                              >

                              Of course, all of them are NPCs, so you're covered there.

                              Of course, the PLAYER CHARACTERS are all "hearing voices" in one
                              manner or another, too.

                              Nik is very much wondering if this stuff isn't contagious.

                              -- Athe
                            • Ted MacKinnon
                              ... soon ... ..... Given the GM, that s a good point. Ted
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 4, 2004
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, athelind@s... wrote:
                                > On 3 Jun 2004 at 18:47, Ted MacKinnon wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hah. One of my online characters should start hearing voices,
                                soon
                                > > (Charism: Locutions), and it has nothing to do with being crazy.
                                >
                                > You THINK.
                                >
                                > -- Your Cynical Serpent

                                .....

                                Given the GM, that's a good point.

                                Ted
                              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.