Request for Ideas for "Underground Civilization"

  • chichiobears
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2004
      Alright, the Norikins is the name of an underground dwelling
      civilization that has had no contact with the above world for their
      entire known existance, and inhabit a series of large, deep caves
      and cave systems spreading from Western Calabria to as far as the
      Reed Cave in Zhongguo. I'm posting it now, in a very scattered
      unorganized way right now, because it is all that I have, *so far*
      and I will definitely be working on it a lot more in the future.

      The Norikins

      Norikin

      Norikin (noor-ick-inn) is the name of the strange, earth-dwelling
      foreigners that live underground on the far west side of the
      Calabrian coast. Inhabiting the barren and dark system of caves that
      run underneath most of Calabria and as far as the Reed Cave in
      Zhongguo, which they call Nora Almunekth, they have lived in
      complete seclusion from other civilized nations for countless
      centuries. Only recently, when a Calabrian explorer chanced upon a
      small, hidden crevice in the rocky western beaches of Calabria, were
      the Norikins confronted face to face. While some are afraid of these
      new, non-surface dwelling `aliens', there are some who already have
      ambitious plans to exploit them...

      Customs

      Because Norikin society has been completely isolated from the rest
      of the known world, their culture is very unique. Different factions
      or `tribes' live at different depths and heights in the caves. Those
      who live the closest to the surface are called Sel-Geths, or `Faded
      Earthspawn Dwellers'. The Norikins who inhabit the approximate
      middle are aptly named Torians, or `Diluted Earthspawn Dwellers',
      and the most secretive and unknown group that supposedly dwells at
      the heart of the earth, the Feth Ghans, or `Pure Earthspawn
      Children'.

      Architecture: The `pillar' or column is a predominant symbol in
      Norikin architecture. To them, it resembles part of the cycle of
      life, the center of the earth supporting the middle and the middle
      supporting the top. Entire temples and housings can consist of
      highly-decorated, carefully placed pillars spanning from the ground
      to ceiling.

      Religion: The Norikins practice the disturbing and wry religion of
      the Earthspawn order. Norikins believe that they are all descended
      from the core of the earth, which they call `Mother Nora'. She is
      the source of all life and warmth. She forged and created the
      Norikins to be her loving children. However, she found them to be
      too wicked and cruel and cast them out into her maleficent husband's
      courts. `Father Kolderkin', her husband, is the source of all death,
      cold, and hate (this is how the Norikins were named). Until they
      learn the impossible, to abandon the cruelty and coldness that
      plagues them, they will remain rejected by their mother. It is
      believed that Father Kolderkin lives in his black palace somewhere
      on the surface of earth, and that those who live or come in contact
      with the surface have committed an unforgivable crime.
      Every month, on the last day of the month, a high priest and his
      followers select the `purest person' in the settlement, and ritually
      disassemble them, body part by body part, making sure all their
      blood is spilled onto a designated statue, in front of the entire
      population. This is done in hope that eventually, Mother Nora will
      have enough blood to re-forge them, in a perfect, blameless
      existence. To outsiders, this `furry-sacrifice' seems outrageous and
      insanely barbaric, but to the Norikins, this is completely necessary
      and crucial. Norikins believe that if someone is killed in
      a `righteous' battle, self-sacrifice, or die when they are less than
      four years old, Mother Nora takes pity on them and lets them live in
      her grand heavenly palace in the center of the earth, but never meet
      or see her. This sometimes prompts mothers to commit `mercy
      killings', killing their child when they are just babies. Any other
      death, especially disease, results in being condemned to the black
      courts of Father Kolderkin, to be tortured and wracked until the day
      of re-forging. Father Kolderkin is usually shown as a giant, bluish
      hued badger or wolverine, while Mother Nora is depicted as a yellow
      furred cat or dog. Other gods the Norikins acknowledge are:

      Nayrukin: Goddess of Birth and Women. She is said to bring fire from
      the core of the earth and give it to women so that they may become
      mothers. Nayrukin is regarded as a weak god with no real power, but
      she is still respected because she is considered to be the renewer
      of the population, relatively important considering the Norikins'
      rituals of sacrifice.

      Kino: God of Water, Diamonds, and Lust. One of the sons of Father
      Kolderkin, he is said to live in the cold and dark depths of
      underground lakes and rivers. Every time another furry feels
      sensuality or lust towards another furry, he molds those feelings
      and passions into a beautiful, raw diamond as a symbol of that love.
      Diamonds are highly valued among the Norikins and it is said every
      couple has a diamond, and if they find it, their feelings of first
      love will remain in their hearts until death.

      Tierin: God of War and Courage.

      Names: Norikins list their surname first, and then their father's
      and mother's name after that, qualifying as a type of `last name'.
      However, in Norikin society, at what depth in the earth you live is
      typically much more important than who your father or mother was.
      Some male Norikin surnames include: Kenion, Bain Torain, Neth, Seth,
      Ghalath, Orian, Kine, Kino, Kond and Granth. Some female Norikin
      names include: Nora, Nori, Noria, Nayru, Sayru, Alruse, Reth, Karin,
      Bek, Talia, Alia, Nemya, and Tenya.

      History:

      Armed Forces:

      Exports and Imports:

      Flora and Fauna:

      Friends and Foes:

      Language:

      Laws:

      Norikin Calendar:

      Entertainment:

      Yes as you can see, it is very disorganized and
      I've start and stopped in many places.

      What I was looking for was someone or anyone that had ideas for this
      kind of thing, and here are some guidelines for designing things for
      it:

      The Norikins prefer names and words
      with "Nore", "Kin", "Ayru", "Geth" or "Gath" and sharp sounding K's.

      The Norikins are brought up to hate the outside world and do not
      engage with foreigners in a friendly manner, any surface-dweller
      that might accidenlty drift down to their home would instantly be
      brutally sacrificed.

      I am also currently working on a metal and mineral version of the
      Blessed Paths for the Norikins, since they live deep within the
      Earth. I am also at the same time developing another path-like idea
      including torture and sacrifice, like the Hairmorrs, except unholy.
      I am trying to find a clever way to combine the two in a way and
      have the two ways compliment themselves.

      Note: Before I go, I know this question will be asked, and so I'm
      gonig to answer it now; they Norikins have visibility because of a
      type of moss and fungus that grows under ground. The moss and fungus
      feed on the nutrient-rich soil and illuminate brightly because of
      it. There are virtually no torches in Norikin society, and fire is
      generally looked down upon (it is considered sacriligious and it
      could easily it up all the oxygen in a Norikin cave, and people
      would have no where to flee).
    • Barnowl
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
        Race recommendation would be Moles. A major enemy/vermin could be cave crickets. Possibbly a variant or two of other deep burrowing raceslike prarrie dog or rabbit. I think a Snake breed would also be right.

        Evan

        --
        Microsoft is not an International or Open Standard.
        I can only access International or Open standard documents.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
          --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, Barnowl <barnowl@u...> wrote:
          > Race recommendation would be Moles. A major enemy/vermin could be
          cave crickets. Possibbly a variant or two of other deep burrowing
          raceslike prarrie dog or rabbit. I think a Snake breed would also be
          right.

          The Blind Albino Cave Ho√ęk.

          Ted
        • Frank Sronce
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
            Barnowl wrote:
            > Race recommendation would be Moles. A major enemy/vermin could be cave crickets. Possibbly a variant or two of other deep burrowing raceslike prarrie dog or rabbit. I think a Snake breed would also be right.
            >
            > Evan

            In my campaign, the PCs once ran afoul of the Namora... The NAked MOle
            RAts. Since they're underground-dwelling colony critters with an
            insect-like hive society, they were pretty alien.

            Kiz
            --
            http://www.kizandjenn.com
            Nuclear Beasts design blog http://www.kizandjenn.com/blog.php
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2004
              will you be creating an 'albino' flaw?

              when an outsider is 'sacrificed', is that to `Father Kolderkin' with a
              minimum loss of blood or just killed?

              should races be limited to burrowing animals, or at least to ones with
              digging?

              if the cave opening was near the sea, do they have problems with
              flooding?

              how big are the settlements that they can afford to kill one member a
              month?

              is it a theocracy (priest lead) or an empire (hereditary government)?
              how are priests chosen if the purest are automatically killed?

              beside some reference to the anisazi, is there a real world culture that
              the Norikin are based on?

              what do they eat? who are the farmer/fishermen equivalent that gather
              the food and how much territory do they need to do so?

              cinematic caves or realistic? do they have to worry about air and smoke
              (forges, kilns, cooking fires) or not?

              sorry for all the questions, but i don't want to step on any missing
              ideas.

              john tobako

              Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!