Super-Echolocation

  • Bengaley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
      A friend of mine in a completly unrelated online RP has a blind character who has an internal radar that, within a certain radius, provides something nearly similar to sight. In his head he has a detailed 3D picture of his topological surroundings.

      He cannot read printed text, but if it is engraved he can read it.

      What I would like to do is try to bring this ability to Ironclaw, perhaps as Super Echolocation?
    • athelind@stormdancer.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2004
        On 1 Jan 2004 at 20:02, Bengaley wrote:

        > A friend of mine in a completly unrelated online RP has a blind character
        > who has an internal radar that, within a certain radius, provides
        > something nearly similar to sight. In his head he has a detailed 3D
        > picture of his topological surroundings.
        >
        > He cannot read printed text, but if it is engraved he can read it.
        >
        > What I would like to do is try to bring this ability to Ironclaw, perhaps
        > as Super Echolocation?

        Honestly? You don't really need a new ability. Just read up on what
        real bat echolocation can do. Most RPGs assume that "Radar" and
        "Sonar" senses will just give "blips" with no real details. Bat
        echolocation is a lot more sophisticated than that. After all, it
        evolved to pick insects out of the air. Bats can detect and avoid
        objects as fine as a human hair. They can determine movement,
        direction, and velocity; they can distinguish between textures and
        densities, being able to pick flying insects from the midst of dense
        tree foliage.

        It's not just an "inferior vision substitute". Think of it more like
        "touch, with range". It's a highly sophisticated and effective
        sensory mode that provides levels of detail that vision can't. It
        really does provide that "detailed 3D picture of his topological
        surroundings", with vector motion data and some material analysis to
        boot.

        I will note that, for bats, standard Echolocation is highly
        directional. You'll get that nice "detailed 3D picture" of a cone
        right in front of you. I don't know what plans they have for the
        Dolphin Races in High Seas....

        -- Your Obedient Serpent
      • Bengaley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2004
          Heh, I was playing normal echolocation as "You can sense where the wall is and isn't."
          > A friend of mine in a completly unrelated online RP has a blind character
          > who has an internal radar that, within a certain radius, provides
          > something nearly similar to sight. In his head he has a detailed 3D
          > picture of his topological surroundings.
          >
          > He cannot read printed text, but if it is engraved he can read it.
          >
          > What I would like to do is try to bring this ability to Ironclaw, perhaps
          > as Super Echolocation?

                Honestly? You don't really need a new ability. Just read up on what
          real bat echolocation can do. Most RPGs assume that "Radar" and
          "Sonar" senses will just give "blips" with no real details. Bat
          echolocation is a lot more sophisticated than that. After all, it
          evolved to pick insects out of the air. Bats can detect and avoid
          objects as fine as a human hair. They can determine movement,
          direction, and velocity; they can distinguish between textures and
          densities, being able to pick flying insects from the midst of dense
          tree foliage.

                It's not just an "inferior vision substitute". Think of it more like
          "touch, with range". It's a highly sophisticated and effective
          sensory mode that provides levels of detail that vision can't. It
          really does provide that "detailed 3D picture of his topological
          surroundings", with vector motion data and some material analysis to
          boot.

                I will note that, for bats, standard Echolocation is highly
          directional. You'll get that nice "detailed 3D picture" of a cone
          right in front of you. I don't know what plans they have for the
          Dolphin Races in High Seas....

                -- Your Obedient Serpent

          Yahoo! Groups Links