[irmxstuff] Timeouts and iRMX Calls from DOS?

  • RichardCarver@eMail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 1999
      I thought there was something in the iRMX manuals that suggested you
      shouldn't use WAIT_FOREVER with iRMX calls from DOS. Unfortunately I
      can seem to find the reference. Wasn't there something like this or
      am I dreaming things!

      Thanks in advance!

      Rich :o)

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/irmxstuff
    • Leon Opit
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 1999
        Hi Richard,
        Hmmm, I think what you may be referring to is the use of the real-time
        extension calls
        when running in Windows (standard mode of course) or from a DOS box running
        from Windows.
        In either of those two cases you may only set a wait time_limit of 0 or 1.

        This is 'cos Windows is still a single task but at the same time it is event
        driven (via the Windows dispatch function)
        If you were allowed to wait for more than a 1 system click the Windows would
        stop responding (no events).
        If you work only from DOS (the VM86 dispatcher) you can wait as long as you
        like (even forever) as DOS
        code is not event driven and is single threaded. DOS is still a single
        encapsulated task but the DOS code typically
        expects to wait on resources (e.g. there is no asynch I/O in DOS).
        Hope that answers the question,
        regards

        Leon

        P.S. have a look at our revamped Web site, we think it is a big improvement!

        LocSoft Limited
        "The key to your embedded solutions"
        www.locsoft.com
        Phone +44 (0) 1793 432557