Re: [irlp-embedded] Time Change

  • Nate Duehr
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12 10:06 PM
      Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
      seem to be some version of Slackware?

      Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
      they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
      have that command?

      If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
      with :

      cat /etc/timezone

      If it is... read on...

      Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
      CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
      happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
      to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
      on the correct day.

      Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
      only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
      don't think you guys have that.

      Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
      from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
      like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
      (GRIN)

      And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
      wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
      it then! (GRIN)

      If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
      suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
      to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

      http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

      Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
      really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
      on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
      know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

      Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
      the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
      another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
      Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

      I'd say in summary...

      Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
      appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
      know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
      other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
      specific place).

      Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
      everyone... heh heh...

      Nate WY0X
      CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
      reference...

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 13 12:32 PM

        The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

        > Hi Dave or Nate,
        >

        > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
        > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
        > time.
        >

        > Mike K7PFJ
        >

        > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
        >
        > Mike Mullarkey
        >
        > 6886 Sage Ave
        >
        > Firestone, Co 80504

        > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
        >
        > 303-718-8052 Cellular

      • Mike Mullarkey
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 13 4:52 PM

          Hi Dave,

          Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

          Mike K7PFJ

          Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

          Mike Mullarkey

          6886 Sage Ave

          Firestone, Co 80504

          303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

          303-718-8052 Cellular

          The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

          --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dave or Nate,
          >

          > The day light savings time has changed out here in
          w:st="on">Colorado and was
          > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
          correct
          > time.
          >

          > Mike K7PFJ
          >

          > Colorado