Time Change

  • Mike Mullarkey
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009

      Hi Dave or Nate,

      The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct time.

      Mike K7PFJ

      Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

      Mike Mullarkey

      6886 Sage Ave

      Firestone, Co 80504

      303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

      303-718-8052 Cellular

    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 12, 2009
        Honestly I know nothing about the embedded nodes other than that they
        seem to be some version of Slackware?

        Doing a Google search for "setting time zone on slackware" I see that
        they have a program called /usr/bin/timeconfig - do the embedded nodes
        have that command?

        If so, is yours set right? I think on Slackware you can look at it
        with :

        cat /etc/timezone

        If it is... read on...

        Knowing that last year or the year before or whatever... when our US
        CongressCritters started mucking around with the day our DST changes
        happen (ostensibly to "save the planet" or something), many OS's had
        to have updates to their time zone configuration files to switch over
        on the correct day.

        Did the embedded nodes get those changes? The CentOS "regular" nodes
        only did if people kept up on their updates via the yum tool -- but I
        don't think you guys have that.

        Finally, don't forget whatever the command is to write the changes
        from the OS running in RAM to the hard disk, or you'll be fighting it
        like I was that day I was working on your node up on the mountain!
        (GRIN)

        And if it's set right... and it didn't switch -- I bet you could just
        wait a couple of weeks until the old DST changeover day, and it'll do
        it then! (GRIN)

        If you wanted to you could try to fix the TZ info manually, I
        suppose... if you're up to that. See Section 6.4.7 of this document
        to see where the files that set it live at on the filesystem:

        http://slackbasics.org/html/custom-installation.html

        Then you'll have to REALLY dig in if you want to know how it all
        really works in Linux... this link explains ALL of how timezones work
        on Linux, and it's WAY more information than most people EVER need to
        know, but if you're crazy enough to care... here it is...

        Even after doing Linux professionally for many years, I'd never run
        the "zdump -v /etc/localtime" command before. Fascinating. And yet
        another time-sink I have wandered down now, looking into the "guts" of
        Unix/Linux. Uggh... moving on.

        I'd say in summary...

        Find the updated DST files for Slackware somewhere and put 'em in the
        appropriate directory (where ever that is on Slackware... I don't
        know, really... but usually they're somewhere "similar" to all the
        other distros, since glibc is usually hard coded to look for them in a
        specific place).

        Or wait for Master Dave to decide how he wants to update 'em for
        everyone... heh heh...

        Nate WY0X
        CC: the main IRLP list for folks to have the above links for
        reference...

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

          The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dave or Nate,
          >

          > The day light savings time has changed out here in Colorado and was
          > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the correct
          > time.
          >

          > Mike K7PFJ
          >

          > Colorado Telecom, L.L.C
          >
          > Mike Mullarkey
          >
          > 6886 Sage Ave
          >
          > Firestone, Co 80504

          > 303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax
          >
          > 303-718-8052 Cellular

        • Mike Mullarkey
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 13, 2009

            Hi Dave,

            Thanks for the help as always. The pictures looks just like the one you have on the web site.

            Mike K7PFJ

            Colorado Telecom, L.L.C

            Mike Mullarkey

            6886 Sage Ave

            Firestone, Co 80504

            303-954-9693 Home Office & Fax

            303-718-8052 Cellular

            The link above is to the fix-dst script that was made 2 years ago to fix the DST issue. Your node should have it installed by default. I have logged in and run the fix-dst script, and your timezone seems to be working correctly now.

            --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave or Nate,
            >

            > The day light savings time has changed out here in
            w:st="on">Colorado and was
            > wondering how to change the time on my embedded node to reflect the
            correct
            > time.
            >

            > Mike K7PFJ
            >

            > Colorado