Re: Node rebooted will it recover? No static IP.

  • Don
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
      It should reboot and choose an ip from the router but you will most
      likely have to reset the portforwarding in your router unless you are
      lucky and have it choose the one it was on before.

      Don VE7EDA

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "garyp609" <gary.paul@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I rebooted my Embedded Node tonight remotely through Putty with the
      > reboot command. When the node booted back up the router and internet
      > connection were down. The node booted back up without getting assigned
      > an IP address. I am not using a static IP. The internet connection is
      > now back up. Will my node recover and grab an IP address from the
      > router or do I have to go to the repeater site and reboot the node
      > manually now that the router and internet connection are back up?
      > Thanks & 73's
      > Gary K2ACY

    • Gary Paul
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
        Does the embedded node reboot in a script file that runs at a specific time?
        I was thinking that the node would just sit there until it was rebooted manually to grab an IP.
        Thanks & 73's
        Gary K2ACY

        On Feb 1, 2009, at 12:26 AM, "Don" <donmor46@...> wrote:

        It should reboot and choose an ip from the router but you will most
        likely have to reset the portforwarding in your router unless you are
        lucky and have it choose the one it was on before.

        Don VE7EDA

        --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, "garyp609" <gary.paul@. ..> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I rebooted my Embedded Node tonight remotely through Putty with the
        > reboot command. When the node booted back up the router and internet
        > connection were down. The node booted back up without getting assigned
        > an IP address. I am not using a static IP. The internet connection is
        > now back up. Will my node recover and grab an IP address from the
        > router or do I have to go to the repeater site and reboot the node
        > manually now that the router and internet connection are back up?
        > Thanks & 73's
        > Gary K2ACY

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
          Gary K2ACY wrote...

          > I am not using a static IP... The internet connection is now back up.
          > Will my node recover and grab an IP address from the router or do I
          > have to go to the repeater site and reboot the node manually now that
          > the router and internet connection are back up?

          If it's behind a router, tell the IRLP node to use a specific IP
          address. The port forwarding in the router will have to be set up to
          that IP. If you can't log in remotely, then it will mean a trip to the
          site. If you can't update the router remotely, it will mean a trip to
          the site.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
            The DHCP service will run continually, so it should grab an IP. I am not
            sure of the interval. It would depend if the ethernet card had a "link
            up" or not during the boot cycle. If not, it may not come back up.

            However, is there any way to assign a static IP to the system? Then this
            will never happen again.

            Gary Paul wrote:

            > Does the embedded node reboot in a script file that runs at a specific time?
            > I was thinking that the node would just sit there until it was rebooted
            > manually to grab an IP.
            > Thanks & 73's
            > Gary K2ACY
            >

            > On Feb 1, 2009, at 12:26 AM, "Don" <donmor46@...
            > <mailto:donmor46@...>> wrote:
            >

            >> It should reboot and choose an ip from the router but you will most
            >> likely have to reset the portforwarding in your router unless you are
            >> lucky and have it choose the one it was on before.
            >>
            >> Don VE7EDA
            >>
            >> --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
            >> <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "garyp609" <gary.paul@...>
            >> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Hello,
            >> > I rebooted my Embedded Node tonight remotely through Putty with the
            >> > reboot command. When the node booted back up the router and internet
            >> > connection were down. The node booted back up without getting assigned
            >> > an IP address. I am not using a static IP. The internet connection is
            >> > now back up. Will my node recover and grab an IP address from the
            >> > router or do I have to go to the repeater site and reboot the node
            >> > manually now that the router and internet connection are back up?
            >> > Thanks & 73's
            >> > Gary K2ACY

          • Gary Paul
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
              Thanks to all that helped. I went to the site this morning and reset the computer.

              73's Gary K2ACY

              Gary Paul wrote:

              > Does the embedded node reboot in a script file that runs at a specific time?
              > I was thinking that the node would just sit there until it was rebooted
              > manually to grab an IP.
              > Thanks & 73's
              > Gary K2ACY
              >

              > On Feb 1, 2009, at 12:26 AM, "Don" <donmor46@gmail. com
              > <mailto:donmor46@gmail. com>> wrote:
              >

              >> It should reboot and choose an ip from the router but you will most
              >> likely have to reset the portforwarding in your router unless you are
              >> lucky and have it choose the one it was on before.
              >>
              >> Don VE7EDA
              >>
              >> --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com
              >> <mailto:irlp- embedded% 40yahoogroups. com>, "garyp609" <gary.paul@. ..>
              >> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Hello,
              >> > I rebooted my Embedded Node tonight remotely through Putty with the
              >> > reboot command. When the node booted back up the router and internet
              >> > connection were down. The node booted back up without getting assigned
              >> > an IP address. I am not using a static IP. The internet connection is
              >> > now back up. Will my node recover and grab an IP address from the
              >> > router or do I have to go to the repeater site and reboot the node
              >> > manually now that the router and internet connection are back up?
              >> > Thanks & 73's
              >> > Gary K2ACY

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                Gary K2ACY wrote...

                > Thanks to all that helped. I went to the site this morning and reset
                > the computer.

                But did you set it up on a fixed IP address so it won't happen again?