LOSS OF CUSTOM ON ID

  • James Hall
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
      All custom on/off wav files have been operating correctly for over 6
      months since we initially installed them on both nodes. We suddenly
      lost the custom connect id when connecting the 2 embedded nodes
      together, but only on one way. That is, when 3024 connects to 3212 it
      has reverted to the generic node connect wav file played on the 3212.
      But, if we connect 3212 to 3024 then the custom 3024on.wav plays at
      the 3212 site correctly. However we connect, the 3024 plays the custom
      3212on.wav correctly. Both sites play the custom off.wav files
      correctly. When either node connects to non embedded nodes, all custom
      wav files play as before ot both connected nodes. We just uploaded the
      custom on/off wav files again for both nodes and no change. Both nodes
      have PLAY_CUSTOM_IDS=YES in /environment. Any help or pointers as where
      to look would be appreciated. Jim WH7CD nodes 3024,3212
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2009
        The new system I built about 4 months ago allows embedded nodes to play
        custom id files, but it downloads them fresh every connection.

        If the connection is slow, or the server is not available, it will not
        be able to download it in time to play it, and it reverts back to the
        generic on/off files.

        You should see the following in the /home/irlp/log/messages file:

        DEBUG - Waited 1 x 0.5 second intervals for stn3212on.wav to finish
        downloading

        It will loop 4 times before failing. If it does not download in time, it
        will play the default files.

        James Hall wrote:

        > All custom on/off wav files have been operating correctly for over 6
        > months since we initially installed them on both nodes. We suddenly
        > lost the custom connect id when connecting the 2 embedded nodes
        > together, but only on one way. That is, when 3024 connects to 3212 it
        > has reverted to the generic node connect wav file played on the 3212.
        > But, if we connect 3212 to 3024 then the custom 3024on.wav plays at
        > the 3212 site correctly. However we connect, the 3024 plays the custom
        > 3212on.wav correctly. Both sites play the custom off.wav files
        > correctly. When either node connects to non embedded nodes, all custom
        > wav files play as before ot both connected nodes. We just uploaded the
        > custom on/off wav files again for both nodes and no change. Both nodes
        > have PLAY_CUSTOM_IDS=YES in /environment. Any help or pointers as where
        > to look would be appreciated. Jim WH7CD nodes 3024,3212

      • JIM and LYN HALL
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          This accounts for what we are seeing. On one node 3024, we occassionally see the generic on id, but do not see the DEBUG log statement. The other node 3212 is mostly now playing the generic id but does sometimes play the custom.wav on file.  Is there anything we can do  to help this out?  There are only a few nodes we routinely connect to, can these custom.wav files reside in the embedded and be played in lieu of the download if it is late or is there anything we might do to adjust the timing?  We looked at the following:
          what do you think about this item in the environment file that neither one of us has uncommented so it will get exported:

          # This sets a user-defined delay to be used between key up and recorded
          # audio files. This is in microseconds! EX:500000 = 0.5 seconds
          # To activate, remove hash in front of the next line.
          #export TXDELAY=500000

          maybe even make the delay a full second instead of half second and remove the comment?????????  What you think????

          I know this is not a major problem, but it is a challenge to make it work correctly.