RE: [irlp-embedded] Node 3833 Embedded Audio a bit low

  • Nate Duehr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2009
      It's also HIGHLY recommended that you use a good procedure to set audio
      levels to a known standard.

      See the right-hand side bar on Randy KC6HUR's site for three good ways to do
      it, one "poor-man's" method, one that utilizes an SSB receiver, and the
      full-blown "borrow an FM Service Monitor and do it right" version.

      See "Setting Audio Levels" on the right side of this page:

      http://irlp.kc6hur.net/

      People who really care about their levels will appreciate it if you take the
      time to set your levels to the network's standards via one of these methods.
      Anything else, so called "setting by ear" is usually close, but it often
      gets lost that there IS a network standard in IRLP, making it far more clear
      and usable by users than other systems, when done right.

      I regularly tell users of nodes that HAVEN'T done it right, that their audio
      sounds like crap, in hopes that their node owners will someday get a clue...
      It usually doesn't work, but I guess it makes me feel better that at least I
      said something and TRIED to keep up the good work people started years
      ago... (GRIN!!!)

      73,

      Nate WY0X

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2009
        Thanks for all the help. I have adj the pcm and it's now the same
        level as all local repeaters when listening to them.

        regards
        kb0wjr
        node 3833

        embedded@yahoogroups.com]
        > On Behalf Of David Cameron (IRLP)
        > Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:46 PM
        > To: irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [irlp-embedded] Node 3833 Embedded Audio a bit low
        >
        > The details of all of the aumix sliders are covered on page 14 in
        the
        > embedded information document at:
        >
        > http://www.irlp.net/embedded/embedded_info.pdf
        >
        > Generally, the Vol and PCM would be used to boost the audio from the
        > node to the radio. You can also try the ogain slider (if equipped).
        >
        > If this is being used as a full duplex repeater controller, be aware
        > that adjusting the Vol slider will increase the audio repeat loop as
        well.

        > Matthew Sybrant wrote:
        > >

        > > I have noticed the audio level I hear when speaking with others is
        > > that the audio level I hear is a bit low. I have reports that the
        > > audio level on the other end (i.e. my voice) is OK.
        > >
        > > Using the (aumix) script, which slider is used to adjust the
        volume of
        > > audio I hear on my end?
        > >
        > > regards
        > > kb0jwr
        > > node 3833

      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2009
          That covers your audio you're hearing, but not the audio you're sending to
          us. The only way to know the audio you're sending to us is correct, is by
          following Randy's instructions.

          :-)

          Nate

          Thanks for all the help. I have adj the pcm and it's now the same
          level as all local repeaters when listening to them.

          regards
          kb0wjr
          node 3833

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Nate Duehr" <nate@...> wrote:

          > It's also HIGHLY recommended that you use a good procedure to set
          audio
          > levels to a known standard.
          >
          > See the right-hand side bar on Randy KC6HUR's site for three good
          ways to do
          > it, one "poor-man's" method, one that utilizes an SSB receiver, and
          the
          > full-blown "borrow an FM Service Monitor and do it right" version.
          >
          > See "Setting Audio Levels" on the right side of this page:
          >
          > http://irlp.kc6hur.net/
          >
          > People who really care about their levels will appreciate it if you
          take the
          > time to set your levels to the network's standards via one of these
          methods.
          > Anything else, so called "setting by ear" is usually close, but it
          often
          > gets lost that there IS a network standard in IRLP, making it far
          more clear
          > and usable by users than other systems, when done right.
          >
          > I regularly tell users of nodes that HAVEN'T done it right, that
          their audio
          > sounds like crap, in hopes that their node owners will someday get a
          clue...
          > It usually doesn't work, but I guess it makes me feel better that at
          least I
          > said something and TRIED to keep up the good work people started
          years
          > ago... (GRIN!!!)
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Nate WY0X

        • Matthew Sybrant
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2009
            All reports I'm getting are that the audio I'm sending to "you" (other
            nodes) is "very good/clear"