Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: basic linux commands

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
      Most of the commands you will need to know are outlined in the embedded
      Info document, which is linked from the order page.

      http://www.irlp.net/embedded/embedded_info.pdf

      This file contains most of the files/commands you should need to operate
      your node. The embedded nodes come ready to run, all you really have to
      do is hook them up, run the set_static_ip script, and forward the
      required network ports through your router.

      Then once it is up and running, there is no need to access the linux
      again, as all of the access is performed through the radio.

      Craig wrote:

      > Matt, I see that your node is indeed up and running:
      >
      > http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833
      > <http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833>
      >
      > But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.
      >
      > I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
      > found as script files located in one of these subdirectories
      >
      > /home/irlp/scripts
      > /home/irlp/custom
      > /home/irlp/features
      >
      > the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you were
      > using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383" for
      > connecting to node 3383.
      >
      > you can disconnect the node with the "end" script
      >
      > you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
      > root to execute these scripts.
      >
      > If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater" by
      > sending this command "su - repeater"
      >
      > you get back to root by typing "exit"
      >
      > If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on the
      > irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
      > instead of root.

    • Gary Paul
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009

        Dave,

        I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is made for a standard no Embedded node setup.

        73’s

        Gary K2ACY

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
          The cable should work, he will just have to use the line input and line
          output lines instead of the wiring for the audio on the DB-9.

          It should still work fine.

          Gary Paul wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong
          > cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is made
          > for a standard no Embedded node setup.
          >
          > 73’s
          >
          > Gary K2ACY

        • Gary Paul
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
            When Matt connects to me on IRLP he gets the connected message and so
            do I but the carrier just hangs and no audio passes in either direction.
            Gary K2ACY

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
              Is the COS on the MVP high or low? If it is high, he will have to change
              the jumper on the IRLP board. To access the board, all he has to do is
              open the case by removing the three screws at the back, and then view
              the IRLP board as he is being called by your node.

              Also, the audio cables should be hooked up as follows:

              1) BLUE jack to line input cable (or leave disconnected, as it is fed
              through pin 8 of the IRLP board)
              2) GREEN jack to line output cable

              If the green LED stays on at all time, except when he is receiving a
              signal on his radio, then the COS jumper needs to be changed from LOW to
              HIGH.

              He can also see this effect by running the readinput script. You press
              CTRL-C to exit the readinput script.

              Gary Paul wrote:

              > When Matt connects to me on IRLP he gets the connected message and so
              > do I but the carrier just hangs and no audio passes in either direction.
              > Gary K2ACY
              >
              > On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:29 PM, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
              > <dcameron@... <mailto:dcameron%40irlp.net>> wrote:
              >
              > > The cable should work, he will just have to use the line input and
              > > line
              > > output lines instead of the wiring for the audio on the DB-9.
              > >
              > > It should still work fine.
              > >
              > > Dave Cameron
              > > VE7LTD
              > >
              > > Gary Paul wrote:
              > >>

              > >> Dave,
              > >>
              > >> I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong
              > >> cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is
              > >> made
              > >> for a standard no Embedded node setup.
              > >>
              > >> 73’s
              > >>
              > >> Gary K2ACY
              > >>

              > >> *From:* irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>

            • Marshall Oldham
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009

                The cable does not matter if it is for a standard node or an embedded node.

                If you read and follow the “Trouble Shooting your UHF GE MVS Radio directions that were included with the MVS radio, it should get him up a running with no problems.

                73

                Marshall – ke6pcv

                Craig wrote:

                > Matt , I see that your node is
                indeed up and running:

                > http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833
                > <http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833>
                >
                > But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.
                >
                > I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
                > found as script files located in one of these subdirectories
                >
                > /home/irlp/scripts
                > /home/irlp/custom
                > /home/irlp/features
                >
                > the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you
                were
                > using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383"
                for
                > connecting to node 3383.
                >
                > you can disconnect the node with the "end" script
                >
                > you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
                > root to execute these scripts.
                >
                > If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater"
                by
                > sending this command "su - repeater"
                >
                > you get back to root by typing "exit"
                >
                > If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on
                the
                > irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
                > instead of root.

              • Matthew Sybrant
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                  I just removed the cover from the node and powered up the station.
                  The COS light was on all the time except when it (the node) is
                  receiving via the node radio. After powering down the node, I then
                  changed the COS jumper setting from low to high. I then powered up
                  the node & now the COS only lights green when the node radio is
                  receiving a signal. I then connected to node 4883 and spoke with
                  k2acy. A call back to my node (3833) also worked.

                  I'd like to thanks all who helped me thru this and am very happy.

                  73
                  kb0jwr

                  --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
                  <dcameron@...> wrote:

                  > Is the COS on the MVP high or low? If it is high, he will have to
                  change
                  > the jumper on the IRLP board. To access the board, all he has to do
                  is
                  > open the case by removing the three screws at the back, and then
                  view
                  > the IRLP board as he is being called by your node.
                  >
                  > Also, the audio cables should be hooked up as follows:
                  >
                  > 1) BLUE jack to line input cable (or leave disconnected, as it is
                  fed
                  > through pin 8 of the IRLP board)
                  > 2) GREEN jack to line output cable
                  >
                  > If the green LED stays on at all time, except when he is receiving a
                  > signal on his radio, then the COS jumper needs to be changed from
                  LOW to
                  > HIGH.
                  >
                  > He can also see this effect by running the readinput script. You
                  press
                  > CTRL-C to exit the readinput script.

                • garyp609
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                    Thanks Marshall. It was the COS jumper that had to be changed. Matt
                    is up and running.
                    73's
                    Gary K2ACY

                    --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Marshall Oldham" <ke6pcv@...>