Re: New node (3833)

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
      Welcome to Linux, Matt!

      I'm not quite sure what you mean by "make it work"

      I assume you have an embedded node.

      Are you having trouble getting your node up and running or do you want
      to learn more about linux now that your node is running?

      Have you looked here to get your node running?
      http://www.irlp.net/embedded/Embedded_Info.pdf

      After my nodes were running I quickly found out that logging into them
      over the internet with PuTTY and WinSCP were extremely handy.

      PuTTY lets you have access to your node's linux command line over the
      internet from any windows computer and winSCP logs into your node and
      displays the entire directory structure on your windows computer in a
      familiar windows format. You can copy files from your irlp node to
      your windows desktop and vice versa with the click of the mouse. You
      can also connect and disconnect your node remotely from any windows
      computer.

      I haven't had a keyboard or video monitor connected to my embedded
      nodes in over a year.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinSCP

      Also remember that on an embedded node your changes are not saved to
      the hard drive until you run the flash_sync command.

      Craig
      wd5bdx

      Matthew Sybrant KB0JWR wrote:

      > I just powered up my node and finally figured out how to log onto the
      > root... I am not familure with this operating system and am having
      > trouble finding information on how to make it work.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > kb0jwr
      > matt
      > mjs

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
        Matt, I see that your node is indeed up and running:

        http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833

        But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.

        I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
        found as script files located in one of these subdirectories

        /home/irlp/scripts
        /home/irlp/custom
        /home/irlp/features

        the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you were
        using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383" for
        connecting to node 3383.

        you can disconnect the node with the "end" script

        you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
        root to execute these scripts.

        If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater" by
        sending this command "su - repeater"

        you get back to root by typing "exit"

        If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on the
        irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
        instead of root.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
          Most of the commands you will need to know are outlined in the embedded
          Info document, which is linked from the order page.

          http://www.irlp.net/embedded/embedded_info.pdf

          This file contains most of the files/commands you should need to operate
          your node. The embedded nodes come ready to run, all you really have to
          do is hook them up, run the set_static_ip script, and forward the
          required network ports through your router.

          Then once it is up and running, there is no need to access the linux
          again, as all of the access is performed through the radio.

          Craig wrote:

          > Matt, I see that your node is indeed up and running:
          >
          > http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833
          > <http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833>
          >
          > But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.
          >
          > I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
          > found as script files located in one of these subdirectories
          >
          > /home/irlp/scripts
          > /home/irlp/custom
          > /home/irlp/features
          >
          > the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you were
          > using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383" for
          > connecting to node 3383.
          >
          > you can disconnect the node with the "end" script
          >
          > you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
          > root to execute these scripts.
          >
          > If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater" by
          > sending this command "su - repeater"
          >
          > you get back to root by typing "exit"
          >
          > If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on the
          > irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
          > instead of root.

        • Gary Paul
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009

            Dave,

            I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is made for a standard no Embedded node setup.

            73’s

            Gary K2ACY

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
              The cable should work, he will just have to use the line input and line
              output lines instead of the wiring for the audio on the DB-9.

              It should still work fine.

              Gary Paul wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong
              > cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is made
              > for a standard no Embedded node setup.
              >
              > 73’s
              >
              > Gary K2ACY

            • Gary Paul
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                When Matt connects to me on IRLP he gets the connected message and so
                do I but the carrier just hangs and no audio passes in either direction.
                Gary K2ACY

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                  Is the COS on the MVP high or low? If it is high, he will have to change
                  the jumper on the IRLP board. To access the board, all he has to do is
                  open the case by removing the three screws at the back, and then view
                  the IRLP board as he is being called by your node.

                  Also, the audio cables should be hooked up as follows:

                  1) BLUE jack to line input cable (or leave disconnected, as it is fed
                  through pin 8 of the IRLP board)
                  2) GREEN jack to line output cable

                  If the green LED stays on at all time, except when he is receiving a
                  signal on his radio, then the COS jumper needs to be changed from LOW to
                  HIGH.

                  He can also see this effect by running the readinput script. You press
                  CTRL-C to exit the readinput script.

                  Gary Paul wrote:

                  > When Matt connects to me on IRLP he gets the connected message and so
                  > do I but the carrier just hangs and no audio passes in either direction.
                  > Gary K2ACY
                  >
                  > On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:29 PM, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
                  > <dcameron@... <mailto:dcameron%40irlp.net>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > The cable should work, he will just have to use the line input and
                  > > line
                  > > output lines instead of the wiring for the audio on the DB-9.
                  > >
                  > > It should still work fine.
                  > >
                  > > Dave Cameron
                  > > VE7LTD
                  > >
                  > > Gary Paul wrote:
                  > >>

                  > >> Dave,
                  > >>
                  > >> I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong
                  > >> cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is
                  > >> made
                  > >> for a standard no Embedded node setup.
                  > >>
                  > >> 73’s
                  > >>
                  > >> Gary K2ACY
                  > >>

                  > >> *From:* irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>

                • Marshall Oldham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009

                    The cable does not matter if it is for a standard node or an embedded node.

                    If you read and follow the “Trouble Shooting your UHF GE MVS Radio directions that were included with the MVS radio, it should get him up a running with no problems.

                    73

                    Marshall – ke6pcv

                    Craig wrote:

                    > Matt , I see that your node is
                    indeed up and running:

                    > http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833
                    > <http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833>
                    >
                    > But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.
                    >
                    > I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
                    > found as script files located in one of these subdirectories
                    >
                    > /home/irlp/scripts
                    > /home/irlp/custom
                    > /home/irlp/features
                    >
                    > the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you
                    were
                    > using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383"
                    for
                    > connecting to node 3383.
                    >
                    > you can disconnect the node with the "end" script
                    >
                    > you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
                    > root to execute these scripts.
                    >
                    > If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater"
                    by
                    > sending this command "su - repeater"
                    >
                    > you get back to root by typing "exit"
                    >
                    > If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on
                    the
                    > irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
                    > instead of root.

                  • Matthew Sybrant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                      I just removed the cover from the node and powered up the station.
                      The COS light was on all the time except when it (the node) is
                      receiving via the node radio. After powering down the node, I then
                      changed the COS jumper setting from low to high. I then powered up
                      the node & now the COS only lights green when the node radio is
                      receiving a signal. I then connected to node 4883 and spoke with
                      k2acy. A call back to my node (3833) also worked.

                      I'd like to thanks all who helped me thru this and am very happy.

                      73
                      kb0jwr

                      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
                      <dcameron@...> wrote:

                      > Is the COS on the MVP high or low? If it is high, he will have to
                      change
                      > the jumper on the IRLP board. To access the board, all he has to do
                      is
                      > open the case by removing the three screws at the back, and then
                      view
                      > the IRLP board as he is being called by your node.
                      >
                      > Also, the audio cables should be hooked up as follows:
                      >
                      > 1) BLUE jack to line input cable (or leave disconnected, as it is
                      fed
                      > through pin 8 of the IRLP board)
                      > 2) GREEN jack to line output cable
                      >
                      > If the green LED stays on at all time, except when he is receiving a
                      > signal on his radio, then the COS jumper needs to be changed from
                      LOW to
                      > HIGH.
                      >
                      > He can also see this effect by running the readinput script. You
                      press
                      > CTRL-C to exit the readinput script.

                    • garyp609
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                        Thanks Marshall. It was the COS jumper that had to be changed. Matt
                        is up and running.
                        73's
                        Gary K2ACY

                        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Marshall Oldham" <ke6pcv@...>