New node (3833)

  • Matthew Sybrant
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 18, 2009
      I just powered up my node and finally figured out how to log onto the
      root... I am not familure with this operating system and am having
      trouble finding information on how to make it work.

      regards

      kb0jwr
      matt
      mjs
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
        Welcome to Linux, Matt!

        I'm not quite sure what you mean by "make it work"

        I assume you have an embedded node.

        Are you having trouble getting your node up and running or do you want
        to learn more about linux now that your node is running?

        Have you looked here to get your node running?
        http://www.irlp.net/embedded/Embedded_Info.pdf

        After my nodes were running I quickly found out that logging into them
        over the internet with PuTTY and WinSCP were extremely handy.

        PuTTY lets you have access to your node's linux command line over the
        internet from any windows computer and winSCP logs into your node and
        displays the entire directory structure on your windows computer in a
        familiar windows format. You can copy files from your irlp node to
        your windows desktop and vice versa with the click of the mouse. You
        can also connect and disconnect your node remotely from any windows
        computer.

        I haven't had a keyboard or video monitor connected to my embedded
        nodes in over a year.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinSCP

        Also remember that on an embedded node your changes are not saved to
        the hard drive until you run the flash_sync command.

        Craig
        wd5bdx

        Matthew Sybrant KB0JWR wrote:

        > I just powered up my node and finally figured out how to log onto the
        > root... I am not familure with this operating system and am having
        > trouble finding information on how to make it work.
        >
        > regards
        >
        > kb0jwr
        > matt
        > mjs

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
          Matt, I see that your node is indeed up and running:

          http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833

          But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.

          I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
          found as script files located in one of these subdirectories

          /home/irlp/scripts
          /home/irlp/custom
          /home/irlp/features

          the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you were
          using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383" for
          connecting to node 3383.

          you can disconnect the node with the "end" script

          you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
          root to execute these scripts.

          If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater" by
          sending this command "su - repeater"

          you get back to root by typing "exit"

          If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on the
          irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
          instead of root.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
            Most of the commands you will need to know are outlined in the embedded
            Info document, which is linked from the order page.

            http://www.irlp.net/embedded/embedded_info.pdf

            This file contains most of the files/commands you should need to operate
            your node. The embedded nodes come ready to run, all you really have to
            do is hook them up, run the set_static_ip script, and forward the
            required network ports through your router.

            Then once it is up and running, there is no need to access the linux
            again, as all of the access is performed through the radio.

            Craig wrote:

            > Matt, I see that your node is indeed up and running:
            >
            > http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833
            > <http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833>
            >
            > But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.
            >
            > I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
            > found as script files located in one of these subdirectories
            >
            > /home/irlp/scripts
            > /home/irlp/custom
            > /home/irlp/features
            >
            > the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you were
            > using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383" for
            > connecting to node 3383.
            >
            > you can disconnect the node with the "end" script
            >
            > you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
            > root to execute these scripts.
            >
            > If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater" by
            > sending this command "su - repeater"
            >
            > you get back to root by typing "exit"
            >
            > If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on the
            > irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
            > instead of root.

          • Gary Paul
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009

              Dave,

              I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is made for a standard no Embedded node setup.

              73’s

              Gary K2ACY

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                The cable should work, he will just have to use the line input and line
                output lines instead of the wiring for the audio on the DB-9.

                It should still work fine.

                Gary Paul wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong
                > cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is made
                > for a standard no Embedded node setup.
                >
                > 73’s
                >
                > Gary K2ACY

              • Gary Paul
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                  When Matt connects to me on IRLP he gets the connected message and so
                  do I but the carrier just hangs and no audio passes in either direction.
                  Gary K2ACY

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                    Is the COS on the MVP high or low? If it is high, he will have to change
                    the jumper on the IRLP board. To access the board, all he has to do is
                    open the case by removing the three screws at the back, and then view
                    the IRLP board as he is being called by your node.

                    Also, the audio cables should be hooked up as follows:

                    1) BLUE jack to line input cable (or leave disconnected, as it is fed
                    through pin 8 of the IRLP board)
                    2) GREEN jack to line output cable

                    If the green LED stays on at all time, except when he is receiving a
                    signal on his radio, then the COS jumper needs to be changed from LOW to
                    HIGH.

                    He can also see this effect by running the readinput script. You press
                    CTRL-C to exit the readinput script.

                    Gary Paul wrote:

                    > When Matt connects to me on IRLP he gets the connected message and so
                    > do I but the carrier just hangs and no audio passes in either direction.
                    > Gary K2ACY
                    >
                    > On Jan 19, 2009, at 1:29 PM, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
                    > <dcameron@... <mailto:dcameron%40irlp.net>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > The cable should work, he will just have to use the line input and
                    > > line
                    > > output lines instead of the wiring for the audio on the DB-9.
                    > >
                    > > It should still work fine.
                    > >
                    > > Dave Cameron
                    > > VE7LTD
                    > >
                    > > Gary Paul wrote:
                    > >>

                    > >> Dave,
                    > >>
                    > >> I just got off the phone with Matt and it seems he may have the wrong
                    > >> cable from his MVP to Embedded Node. I believe the cable he has is
                    > >> made
                    > >> for a standard no Embedded node setup.
                    > >>
                    > >> 73’s
                    > >>
                    > >> Gary K2ACY
                    > >>

                    > >> *From:* irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>

                  • Marshall Oldham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009

                      The cable does not matter if it is for a standard node or an embedded node.

                      If you read and follow the “Trouble Shooting your UHF GE MVS Radio directions that were included with the MVS radio, it should get him up a running with no problems.

                      73

                      Marshall – ke6pcv

                      Craig wrote:

                      > Matt , I see that your node is
                      indeed up and running:

                      > http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833
                      > <http://status.irlp.net/IRLPnodedetail.php?nodeid=3833>
                      >
                      > But it appears you haven't put in your lattitude and longitude yet.
                      >
                      > I have found that most of the useful commands for your IRLP node are
                      > found as script files located in one of these subdirectories
                      >
                      > /home/irlp/scripts
                      > /home/irlp/custom
                      > /home/irlp/features
                      >
                      > the "decode" script lets you command the node just as if you
                      were
                      > using the dtmf pad on your radio. The format is "decode 3383"
                      for
                      > connecting to node 3383.
                      >
                      > you can disconnect the node with the "end" script
                      >
                      > you should log in to the irlp node as a repeater user and not the
                      > root to execute these scripts.
                      >
                      > If you logged in as root then you can change over to "repeater"
                      by
                      > sending this command "su - repeater"
                      >
                      > you get back to root by typing "exit"
                      >
                      > If you have set up the password for the "repeater" account on
                      the
                      > irlp node then you can also simply log into the node as repeater
                      > instead of root.

                    • Matthew Sybrant
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                        I just removed the cover from the node and powered up the station.
                        The COS light was on all the time except when it (the node) is
                        receiving via the node radio. After powering down the node, I then
                        changed the COS jumper setting from low to high. I then powered up
                        the node & now the COS only lights green when the node radio is
                        receiving a signal. I then connected to node 4883 and spoke with
                        k2acy. A call back to my node (3833) also worked.

                        I'd like to thanks all who helped me thru this and am very happy.

                        73
                        kb0jwr

                        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
                        <dcameron@...> wrote:

                        > Is the COS on the MVP high or low? If it is high, he will have to
                        change
                        > the jumper on the IRLP board. To access the board, all he has to do
                        is
                        > open the case by removing the three screws at the back, and then
                        view
                        > the IRLP board as he is being called by your node.
                        >
                        > Also, the audio cables should be hooked up as follows:
                        >
                        > 1) BLUE jack to line input cable (or leave disconnected, as it is
                        fed
                        > through pin 8 of the IRLP board)
                        > 2) GREEN jack to line output cable
                        >
                        > If the green LED stays on at all time, except when he is receiving a
                        > signal on his radio, then the COS jumper needs to be changed from
                        LOW to
                        > HIGH.
                        >
                        > He can also see this effect by running the readinput script. You
                        press
                        > CTRL-C to exit the readinput script.

                      • garyp609
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 19, 2009
                          Thanks Marshall. It was the COS jumper that had to be changed. Matt
                          is up and running.
                          73's
                          Gary K2ACY

                          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Marshall Oldham" <ke6pcv@...>