Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: @ nodes on same IP

  • James Nessen
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
      Just to add, I have fount it fairly inexpensive to add IP addresses, the only place where I ran into a snag was good 'ole Charter Communications (which is only available in the town I live in).  My DSL provider currently gives me 8 ip addresses and I am paying around 45.00/month.  I currently have 4 nodes running on it.

      But yes, as Dave said, it depends.  I have found ISPS that will only allow you to have a singe IP address (requires an updgrade to a 'business' account), and others that have no issues having more.

      Jim / K6JWN
      Nodes 3598, 3633, 3229 and one other one.

      On Dec 25, 2008, at 11:42 AM, k9dc wrote:

      --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

      > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
      > connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
      > one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
      > a private (open) RP.

      The answer is: It Depends...

      Most residential Internet connections are limited to a single public
      IP address. If your ISP will deliver additional IP addresses to your
      account, you could place a second node on it. A second address
      (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
      But if you only have a single public address, you can only run one
      IRLP node.

      The cable connection at my house provides six public addresses,
      as does the DSL connection at my repeater site. I have two nodes
      on my cable connection at home (may soon have a third)

      -Dave k9dc