Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: @ nodes on same IP

  • David Cameron IRLP
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
      Your Telus connection will support more that one IP with the package you
      have, but you have to get them to send you a Thomson Modem, and then you
      have to do some fancy network playing to get it to work.

      You will then require a switch and a new wireless router (since Telus
      will want the one you have back).

      k9dc wrote:

      > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:
      > > A second address
      > > (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
      >
      > For example, my ISP (Comcast) charges me an extra $10/month
      > for six addresses instead of a single address. Static too.

    • James Nessen
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
        Just to add, I have fount it fairly inexpensive to add IP addresses, the only place where I ran into a snag was good 'ole Charter Communications (which is only available in the town I live in).  My DSL provider currently gives me 8 ip addresses and I am paying around 45.00/month.  I currently have 4 nodes running on it.

        But yes, as Dave said, it depends.  I have found ISPS that will only allow you to have a singe IP address (requires an updgrade to a 'business' account), and others that have no issues having more.

        Jim / K6JWN
        Nodes 3598, 3633, 3229 and one other one.

        On Dec 25, 2008, at 11:42 AM, k9dc wrote:

        --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

        > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
        > connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
        > one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
        > a private (open) RP.

        The answer is: It Depends...

        Most residential Internet connections are limited to a single public
        IP address. If your ISP will deliver additional IP addresses to your
        account, you could place a second node on it. A second address
        (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
        But if you only have a single public address, you can only run one
        IRLP node.

        The cable connection at my house provides six public addresses,
        as does the DSL connection at my repeater site. I have two nodes
        on my cable connection at home (may soon have a third)

        -Dave k9dc