Re: [irlp-embedded] @ nodes on same IP

  • AG0N-3055
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
      On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:48:24 -0500 (EST), Stephen Johnston wrote:

      > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
      > connection?

      Not really. One node per public address.

      Gary
      --
      http: //garymcduffie .com
      3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
        Couple years back, I tried to set up a second node at my home qth and
        ended up having Dave (VE7LTD) removing both nodes from the database
        and then re hooking up the one for that address.
        Not worth the hassle.

        Don VE7EDA
        Node 1811

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

        > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
        > connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
        > one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
        > a private (open) RP.
        >
        > IRLP Node 1300
        > EchoLink Node 74852
        > Steve Johnston
        > VE6CYR

        > http://www.flickr.com/gift/

      • k9dc
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

          > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
          > connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
          > one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
          > a private (open) RP.

          The answer is: It Depends...

          Most residential Internet connections are limited to a single public
          IP address. If your ISP will deliver additional IP addresses to your
          account, you could place a second node on it. A second address
          (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
          But if you only have a single public address, you can only run one
          IRLP node.

          The cable connection at my house provides six public addresses,
          as does the DSL connection at my repeater site. I have two nodes
          on my cable connection at home (may soon have a third)

          -Dave k9dc
        • k9dc
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:
            > A second address
            > (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.

            For example, my ISP (Comcast) charges me an extra $10/month
            for six addresses instead of a single address. Static too.
          • David Cameron IRLP
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
              Your Telus connection will support more that one IP with the package you
              have, but you have to get them to send you a Thomson Modem, and then you
              have to do some fancy network playing to get it to work.

              You will then require a switch and a new wireless router (since Telus
              will want the one you have back).

              k9dc wrote:

              > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:
              > > A second address
              > > (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
              >
              > For example, my ISP (Comcast) charges me an extra $10/month
              > for six addresses instead of a single address. Static too.

            • James Nessen
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
                Just to add, I have fount it fairly inexpensive to add IP addresses, the only place where I ran into a snag was good 'ole Charter Communications (which is only available in the town I live in).  My DSL provider currently gives me 8 ip addresses and I am paying around 45.00/month.  I currently have 4 nodes running on it.

                But yes, as Dave said, it depends.  I have found ISPS that will only allow you to have a singe IP address (requires an updgrade to a 'business' account), and others that have no issues having more.

                Jim / K6JWN
                Nodes 3598, 3633, 3229 and one other one.