@ nodes on same IP

  • Stephen Johnston
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 24, 2008
      Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
      connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
      one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
      a private (open) RP.

      IRLP Node 1300
      EchoLink Node 74852
      Steve Johnston
      VE6CYR

      http://www.flickr.com/gift/
    • AG0N-3055
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
        On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 01:48:24 -0500 (EST), Stephen Johnston wrote:

        > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
        > connection?

        Not really. One node per public address.

        Gary
        --
        http: //garymcduffie .com
        3055: http: // garymcduffie.com /irlp/ 3055
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
          Couple years back, I tried to set up a second node at my home qth and
          ended up having Dave (VE7LTD) removing both nodes from the database
          and then re hooking up the one for that address.
          Not worth the hassle.

          Don VE7EDA
          Node 1811

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

          > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
          > connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
          > one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
          > a private (open) RP.
          >
          > IRLP Node 1300
          > EchoLink Node 74852
          > Steve Johnston
          > VE6CYR

          > http://www.flickr.com/gift/

        • k9dc
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

            > Can you have two nodes running on the same internet
            > connection? Reason, private node and the club node ,
            > one connects to the club RP and the other connects to
            > a private (open) RP.

            The answer is: It Depends...

            Most residential Internet connections are limited to a single public
            IP address. If your ISP will deliver additional IP addresses to your
            account, you could place a second node on it. A second address
            (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
            But if you only have a single public address, you can only run one
            IRLP node.

            The cable connection at my house provides six public addresses,
            as does the DSL connection at my repeater site. I have two nodes
            on my cable connection at home (may soon have a third)

            -Dave k9dc
          • k9dc
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:
              > A second address
              > (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.

              For example, my ISP (Comcast) charges me an extra $10/month
              for six addresses instead of a single address. Static too.
            • David Cameron IRLP
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008
                Your Telus connection will support more that one IP with the package you
                have, but you have to get them to send you a Thomson Modem, and then you
                have to do some fancy network playing to get it to work.

                You will then require a switch and a new wireless router (since Telus
                will want the one you have back).

                k9dc wrote:

                > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "k9dc" <Dave@...> wrote:
                > > A second address
                > > (if available) sharing the same bandwidth, should be pretty cheap.
                >
                > For example, my ISP (Comcast) charges me an extra $10/month
                > for six addresses instead of a single address. Static too.

              • James Nessen
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
                  Just to add, I have fount it fairly inexpensive to add IP addresses, the only place where I ran into a snag was good 'ole Charter Communications (which is only available in the town I live in).  My DSL provider currently gives me 8 ip addresses and I am paying around 45.00/month.  I currently have 4 nodes running on it.

                  But yes, as Dave said, it depends.  I have found ISPS that will only allow you to have a singe IP address (requires an updgrade to a 'business' account), and others that have no issues having more.

                  Jim / K6JWN
                  Nodes 3598, 3633, 3229 and one other one.