RE: [irlp-embedded] Re: Is the flash optimized IRLP generally available?

  • Rick Bates
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008

      With the cost of computer memory so darn cheap (2 gig sticks for $24 lately even in the laptop flavor) wouldn’t it make sense to use the flash device as a boot only device and then not worry about it (no external swap space)?  Am I missing the point?

      The only time you’d have to write to the flash chip is when you updated the kernel and/or support software.  That can’t be all THAT often, even with nightly updates.  While I wouldn’t want to trust it on a hilltop with known lightning activity (Murhpy’s law says they’re still fragile for that environment) it should be fine where there is quick access (closet, RV, garage).

      Is there a control that can be tripped so that if you want to shut down a hard drive (if you used that for booting) you could to save the energy (and bearings)?  Potential risks with that?

      Rick

      www.HappyMoosePhoto.com

      Wildlife and scenic images

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008
        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "n8vjp" <n8vjp@...> wrote:

        > Since you have created you own two, how did you address the issue of
        > limiting read/writes to the flash device?

        I built a node for my mobile repeater based upon the VIA LN series
        motherboard, using a 2 GB IDE flash drive. I customized the Linux
        installation using no swap partition. The machine has 1 GB of RAM
        (was only $8 more than 512M) The only other thing I did was
        create another small ramdisk partition for /home/irlp/run where the
        audio files are ground up. but in the grand scheme of things I doubt
        that makes much difference.

        I found that IRLP CentOS, had some strange audio artifacts on some
        wav files. So I went back to FC3, which works perfect.

        -k9dc