Re: Is the flash optimized IRLP generally available?

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
      The short answer is no. It is not packaged in such a way that it is
      customizable for any mini-ITX motherboard. To save drive space,
      everything from the ethernet and sound to the IDE chipset is compiled
      into the kernel, with absolutely no outlying modules to support any
      changes.

      This is why I use specific motherboards when building the system.

      I am not sure what the CL6000E is, or how it differs from an ML or ME
      6000, but I have sold a pre-loaded flash card to some people with
      "similar" boards. Unfortunately, several people have had problems with
      booting/support, and I have been unable to help them.

      To transform a full CentOS onto a small flash device is impossible.
      You would be better to start with a compressed system such as
      Slackware and cut out any extra pieces, like I did for the embedded
      OS. This process took me close to 30 hours of work, and several more
      hundred hours of testing.

      Of course you could use a 4GB flash device, and just load it onto the
      flash drive, and run it from there. The concept of read/write cycles
      (which is not the issue it used to be) led me to designing my systems
      they way I do.

      What results is an image that is 128megs large, complete with the
      allocated spare space. This is flashed onto the flash drive, the
      computer is booted and customized, saved, and shipped.

      The layout of the flash is as such:

      12MB is the OS
      12MB is the IRLP/Echolink setup
      4MB is reserved for logfiles etc.
      16MB is shared with the video card

      That leaves close to 65 megs that is unused for filesystem edits, IRLP
      logs, custom audio, etc. The newer systems going out use a 256M flash
      card and 512M of RAM, which allows another 128 Megs for customizations.

      So if you want to try a preloaded flash card, I sell a preloaded 256M
      flash device for $100. You will require at least 512M of RAM.

      Also included in the embedded nodes are all internal wiring, such that
      only a single DB-9 is required.

      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "n8vjp" <n8vjp@...> wrote:

      > I understand the need to compile the kernel with support for the
      > various hardware devices present. I guess I was hoping that one of
      > three responses would be given...
      >
      > 1) There was a CD iso build used to create the embedded install.
      > 2) The embedded build was compatible with my VIA EPIA CL6000E
      > 3) The scripts/programs needed to make a standard IRLP build run/sync
      > from/to RAM would be available.
      >
      > Since you have created you own two, how did you address the issue of
      > limiting read/writes to the flash device?
      >
      > -N8VJP
      > John

    • n8vjp
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
        > Of course you could use a 4GB flash device, and just load it onto the
        > flash drive, and run it from there. The concept of read/write cycles
        > (which is not the issue it used to be) led me to designing my systems
        > they way I do.

        Dave,

        Thanks for the reply. I do have it running from a 2GB compact flash
        right now (Sandisk Extreme IV, faster than most notebook HDD), but
        maybe I am just overly paranoid about the read/write cycles. While I
        appreciate the offer of the preloaded Flash drive, I have a total
        investment into this box (all New Old Stock) of under $100, doubling
        that to support the OS is a little beyond my current scope.

        I'll keep plugging along with what I've got. I also have the CF
        cloned to a 3GB Notebook HDD, which sits nearby in case the CF fails.

        Thanks again for the replies.

        -N8VJP
        John
      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
          n8vjp wrote:

          > Thanks for the reply. I do have it running from a 2GB compact flash
          > right now (Sandisk Extreme IV, faster than most notebook HDD), but
          > maybe I am just overly paranoid about the read/write cycles. While I
          > appreciate the offer of the preloaded Flash drive, I have a total
          > investment into this box (all New Old Stock) of under $100, doubling
          > that to support the OS is a little beyond my current scope.

          John,

          Most consumer grade flash stuff nowadays has "load leveling" to keep
          from burning out a group of flash before the rest. But it's in
          "blocks", and each manufacturer picks their size.

          So *in general* you don't have to worry about it as much anymore. Just
          watch for disk I/O errors, and have backups and be prepared to replace
          the flash device if it acts up at all.

          Also, if you have enough RAM in the machine to support everything, not
          running any SWAP space on the "disk", would mean read/writes are
          minimized. You could get crazy and turn off things like logging, etc...
          if you were really worried.

          As one person who is in our local Linux Users Group here put it... "With
          16GB flash sticks going for $19.95 this Christmas, I just don't care
          anymore... keep backups of important stuff, throw the flash away when it
          finally dies and reload."

          Your mileage may vary, of course... depending on who's flash devices and
          how smart they are... and sometimes the "name brand" doesn't even knkow,
          since they're relying on the chipset manufacturer... so finding specs on
          it all is nigh impossible, on most of the cheaper stuff. :-)

          Nate WY0X
        • Rick Bates
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008

            With the cost of computer memory so darn cheap (2 gig sticks for $24 lately even in the laptop flavor) wouldn’t it make sense to use the flash device as a boot only device and then not worry about it (no external swap space)?  Am I missing the point?

            The only time you’d have to write to the flash chip is when you updated the kernel and/or support software.  That can’t be all THAT often, even with nightly updates.  While I wouldn’t want to trust it on a hilltop with known lightning activity (Murhpy’s law says they’re still fragile for that environment) it should be fine where there is quick access (closet, RV, garage).

            Is there a control that can be tripped so that if you want to shut down a hard drive (if you used that for booting) you could to save the energy (and bearings)?  Potential risks with that?

            Rick

            www.HappyMoosePhoto.com

            Wildlife and scenic images

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2008
              On Dec 11, 2008, at 10:34 AM, n8vjp wrote:

              > I understand the need to compile the kernel with support for the
              > various hardware devices present. I guess I was hoping that one of
              > three responses would be given...
              >
              > 1) There was a CD iso build used to create the embedded install.
              > 2) The embedded build was compatible with my VIA EPIA CL6000E
              > 3) The scripts/programs needed to make a standard IRLP build run/sync
              > from/to RAM would be available.

              There is a utility that copies all updates from the RAM back onto the
              CF for later reboots. The OS is basically compiled and a directory
              tree is configured to look like the structure used to make a Hard
              Drive operate. That is then converted into an image file that is saved
              to the CF along with other utilities that will boot , configure the
              RAM, copy the image to RAM from the CF, start the image running, then
              the CF is unmounted, so that it cannot be accessed unless it is
              mounted. This keeps the CF from being used except when needed.

              Bear in mind, custom ID files are not used, no PERL, PHP, apache and
              other restrictions apply due to memory/CF storage limitations.

              > Since you have created you own two, how did you address the issue of
              > limiting read/writes to the flash device?

              Only special boot loaders run from the CF but these do not do any
              writing to the CF. As mentioned above, the OS image is copied from the
              CF into RAM and that is what gets run.

              Want to learn something about building an embedded system take a look
              at the Limey-Linux site: http://limeylinux.org

              --
              Randy Hammock KC6HUR
              http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 17, 2008
                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "n8vjp" <n8vjp@...> wrote:

                > Since you have created you own two, how did you address the issue of
                > limiting read/writes to the flash device?

                I built a node for my mobile repeater based upon the VIA LN series
                motherboard, using a 2 GB IDE flash drive. I customized the Linux
                installation using no swap partition. The machine has 1 GB of RAM
                (was only $8 more than 512M) The only other thing I did was
                create another small ramdisk partition for /home/irlp/run where the
                audio files are ground up. but in the grand scheme of things I doubt
                that makes much difference.

                I found that IRLP CentOS, had some strange audio artifacts on some
                wav files. So I went back to FC3, which works perfect.

                -k9dc