Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: Provider change

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2008
      Funny enough I will be in Fort McMurray tomorrow :) Drop me an email and
      maybe I can swing by and give you the ultimate in mobile support.

      Tell us about how you are connecting your system to the internet. Do you
      go from a DSL modem to a router to the node? Are you using a hub or
      switch anywhere in the system?

      Don is right though. If the IP of your node is not static, there is a
      chance that the node is not getting the right ports forwarded.

      Does the node dial out but not get any audio back in?

      Check the IP of the node by typing

      ifconfig eth0

      The internal IP is listed as inet or something similar.

      Then make sure your router is forwarding the IRLP ports to that IP.

      Don wrote:

      > In most cases, the problem will be in the router port forwarding settings.
      > Try www.portforward.com , locate your router and follow the link to
      > IRLP. Should give a pictorial of the settings and how to enter them.
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Don VE7EDA
      > Node 1811
      >
      > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I have changed my internet provider from Shaw to
      > > Telus. The system is not connecting or at least there
      > > is no audio going thro. Is there something I have to
      > > setup for the Telus provider to make the IRLP node work?
      > >
      > > IRLP Node 1300
      > > EchoLink Node 74852
      > > Steve Johnston
      > > VE6CYR

      > > Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark
      > your favourite sites. Download it now at
      > > http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com <http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com>

    • Stephen Johnston
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
        --- "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...> wrote:

        > Tell us about how you are connecting your system to
        > the internet. Do you
        > go from a DSL modem to a router to the node? Are you
        > using a hub or
        > switch anywhere in the system?

        I am using the dsl as a modem only and have my router
        connected to the "wan" This is a new telus modem that
        has 4 ports and wireless in it but have turded this
        option off.

        > Don is right though. If the IP of your node is not
        > static, there is a
        > chance that the node is not getting the right ports
        > forwarded.

        Ran "ifconfig eth0" and ip is as it should be. Router
        has all ports forwarded. Nothing has been change since
        the last provider.

        > Does the node dial out but not get any audio back
        > in?

        This seems to be what it is doing, I can make a
        connection but no audio goes thro.

        We have to remember that the node has run with out a
        problem since the day it got here and has only
        developed this problem since changing from shaw to
        telus as provider.

        Steve
        VE6CYR

        IRLP Node 1300
        EchoLink Node 74852
        Steve Johnston
        VE6CYR

        http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
          Stephen, your telus modem also contains a router. So you are going to
          have to log in to that device, and forward the ports on it.

          Or, you have to ask Telus to send you a "Thomson modem" which will allow
          you to not only make this work without playing around with it, but will
          also allow you to access both routable IP addresses.