Provider change

  • Stephen Johnston
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2008
      I have changed my internet provider from Shaw to
      Telus. The system is not connecting or at least there
      is no audio going thro. Is there something I have to
      setup for the Telus provider to make the IRLP node work?

      IRLP Node 1300
      EchoLink Node 74852
      Steve Johnston
      VE6CYR

      http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2008
        In most cases, the problem will be in the router port forwarding settings.
        Try www.portforward.com , locate your router and follow the link to
        IRLP. Should give a pictorial of the settings and how to enter them.

        Hope this helps.

        Don VE7EDA
        Node 1811

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...> wrote:

        > I have changed my internet provider from Shaw to
        > Telus. The system is not connecting or at least there
        > is no audio going thro. Is there something I have to
        > setup for the Telus provider to make the IRLP node work?
        >
        > IRLP Node 1300
        > EchoLink Node 74852
        > Steve Johnston
        > VE6CYR

        > Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark
        your favourite sites. Download it now at

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23, 2008
          Funny enough I will be in Fort McMurray tomorrow :) Drop me an email and
          maybe I can swing by and give you the ultimate in mobile support.

          Tell us about how you are connecting your system to the internet. Do you
          go from a DSL modem to a router to the node? Are you using a hub or
          switch anywhere in the system?

          Don is right though. If the IP of your node is not static, there is a
          chance that the node is not getting the right ports forwarded.

          Does the node dial out but not get any audio back in?

          Check the IP of the node by typing

          ifconfig eth0

          The internal IP is listed as inet or something similar.

          Then make sure your router is forwarding the IRLP ports to that IP.

          Don wrote:

          > In most cases, the problem will be in the router port forwarding settings.
          > Try www.portforward.com , locate your router and follow the link to
          > IRLP. Should give a pictorial of the settings and how to enter them.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Don VE7EDA
          > Node 1811
          >
          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, Stephen Johnston <ve6cyr@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I have changed my internet provider from Shaw to
          > > Telus. The system is not connecting or at least there
          > > is no audio going thro. Is there something I have to
          > > setup for the Telus provider to make the IRLP node work?
          > >
          > > IRLP Node 1300
          > > EchoLink Node 74852
          > > Steve Johnston
          > > VE6CYR

          > > Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark
          > your favourite sites. Download it now at
          > > http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com <http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com>

        • Stephen Johnston
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
            --- "David Cameron (IRLP)" <dcameron@...> wrote:

            > Tell us about how you are connecting your system to
            > the internet. Do you
            > go from a DSL modem to a router to the node? Are you
            > using a hub or
            > switch anywhere in the system?

            I am using the dsl as a modem only and have my router
            connected to the "wan" This is a new telus modem that
            has 4 ports and wireless in it but have turded this
            option off.

            > Don is right though. If the IP of your node is not
            > static, there is a
            > chance that the node is not getting the right ports
            > forwarded.

            Ran "ifconfig eth0" and ip is as it should be. Router
            has all ports forwarded. Nothing has been change since
            the last provider.

            > Does the node dial out but not get any audio back
            > in?

            This seems to be what it is doing, I can make a
            connection but no audio goes thro.

            We have to remember that the node has run with out a
            problem since the day it got here and has only
            developed this problem since changing from shaw to
            telus as provider.

            Steve
            VE6CYR

            IRLP Node 1300
            EchoLink Node 74852
            Steve Johnston
            VE6CYR

            http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
              Stephen, your telus modem also contains a router. So you are going to
              have to log in to that device, and forward the ports on it.

              Or, you have to ask Telus to send you a "Thomson modem" which will allow
              you to not only make this work without playing around with it, but will
              also allow you to access both routable IP addresses.