IRLP APRS status script changes...

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2008
      This was also posted on the regular IRLP list.

      In an earlier message I posted a suggestion (actually echoed from a
      comment originally from Ken G7VJA) about changing the server used in the
      IRLP APRS status scripts from rotate.aprs2.net to one of the ones listed
      at www.aprs2.net. The reason for that request was that some IRLP nodes
      were apparently staying connected to the APRS server, and because they
      were using rotate.aprs2.net, they ended up staying connected to many
      APRS servers instead of to just one.

      Separate from that, some changes are needed to update the actual payload
      of the APRS object that the status script creates. Individuals can edit
      the file $CUSTOM/aprs_status, but I'm hoping that Randy KC6HUR will
      update the script that he has available at
      http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php to make it easier for existing
      users to upgrade, as well as being available for new installations. This
      message is BCCd to Randy.

      Changes to the script...

      *** Note the hyphen after "IRLP" and the removal of a space after
      {NODE_NUM}. The hyphen makes it more readable and the removal of the
      space keeps the length at the required 9 characters.

      # Make the APRS Object Name
      OBJ_NAME="IRLP-${NODE_NUM}" # MUST be 9 character long

      *** Edit script so it sends the frequency in MHz instead of KHz.

      # Format Message Fragments

      Comment out the following line by inserting # ahead of it.

      # FREQ_TXT=${FREQ%"."*[0-9]}${FREQ#[0-9]*"."} # Convert MHz to KHz

      or remove it and in its place insert...

      FREQ_TXT=${FREQ} # Don't Convert MHz to KHz

      *** Removed a $ ahead of MHz... not sure if that was in the original or
      if I inadvertently entered it some time in the past. If your script
      doesn't have MHz, you can add it. Added T for tone. Added a space ahead
      of T for tone. Added a space before the node status. Added the range.
      The "R15K" is for range 15 km. If you are still using "miles" instead
      use e.g. "R15M" or whatever. Removed the offset label ${OFFSET_LBL} as
      it isn't needed. Don't use PHG as it confuses the D700s.

      # Assemble the COMMENT
      COMMENT="${FREQ_TXT}MHz T${PL_LBL} R15K ${NODE_STATUS}"

      *** No changes here, but apparently some nodes are connecting to an APRS
      server and never disconnecting. In tests on my node, it was NOT staying
      connected after sending the IRLP APRS object. I did one trial and
      removing the "-w" caused it to stay connected. Obviously, that went
      right back in!

      # Send the Beacon to the APRS-IS network

      echo -e "${LOGIN}\n${BTEXT}" | $NC -w 10 $APRS_SERVER $APRS_PORT
      &>/dev/null