Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: CW id after node idle

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
      Likely. But there always seems to be a special application.

      Either way, I have made a script especially for this application, and
      posted it to the irlp ftp site. I have heavily commented it, almost so
      much that it is hard to read the actual commands.

      Here is how you would get it onto your embedded node:

      1) Log in as repeater (or root and su - repeater)
      2) cd /home/irlp/custom
      3) wget ftp.irlp.net/pub/interval_id
      4) chmod +x interval_id

      Now try to run it from the command line in debug mode (so you can see
      what it is doing)

      /home/irlp/custom/interval_id debug

      I would suggest setting the interval inside the script to something less
      that 600 seconds, or you will be waiting for a while....

      Then, once you think it meets your needs, you can add it to the startup
      script, by adding the following lines to the bottom of the
      /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp file: (this will need to be done as root)

      killall interval_ID >dev/null 2>&1
      /home/irlp/custom/interval_ID >/dev/null 2>&1 &

      You will also want to turn off the current morse_id system, by changing
      the /home/irlp/features/features.env file, and setting the value to NO.
      Otherwise, the IDs will battle each other.

      export USE_MORSEID=NO

      And finally, once you have set everything the way you want it, I would
      run the flash_sync script and reboot the node.

      Dave Cameron

      David McAnally wrote:

      > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php
      > <http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php> already do this?
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      > David McAnally, WD5M
      >
      > On 7/9/08, *David Cameron (IRLP)* <dcameron@irlp. net
      > <mailto:dcameron@...>> wrote:
      >
      > So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
      > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
      > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
      > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
      >
      > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
      > currently, and build one from scratch.
      >
      > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
      > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
      > have no way to test it.
      >

      > Dave Cameron

    • JIM and LYN HALL
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
        Great, much more than I hoped for. I thought what I wanted was pretty much standard repeater ID'ing not having a repeater and just having the node. No rush, but it seems this would be useful to all nodes (luv to keep the FCC happy :).  Jim WH7CD node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
          On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:47 AM, David McAnally wrote:

          > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
          > already do this?

          Yup, and more. It tries to be as unobtrusive as possible but keep
          things completely legal. It has a undocumented feature that when an
          IRLP call is finished, you can set a flag in the custom_off script
          that will cause the ID to play when the call has ended rather than
          wait for a a seemingly ambiguous ID when the 10 minute timer kicks it
          off. It will attempt to ID at the start of a call but only if it has
          been more than 10 minutes since the last ID. If the node stays busy
          after connecting, it will wait for a 3 second break in talking before
          trying to ID or the 10 minute timer expires causing a forced ID,
          whichever happens first.
          > --
          > Regards,
          > David McAnally, WD5M
          >
          > On 7/9/08, David Cameron (IRLP) <dcameron@...> wrote:So in this
          > case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
          > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID,
          > then ID
          > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
          > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
          >
          > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
          > currently, and build one from scratch.
          >
          > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and
          > post
          > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
          > have no way to test it.

          Randy Hammock KC6HUR
          http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
          http://irlp.kc6hur.net/
          If there are no horses in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
          they went.
        • Steven Passmore
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
            I haven't looked at it in about a year but I don't think it does. It
            only monitors the node PTT activity which works fine for a simplex node.
            But if you are trying to ID a repeater it needs to monitor COS as well
            since local users can activate the TX thereby requiring it to ID.

            David McAnally wrote:
            > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
            > already do this?
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            > David McAnally, WD5M

          • JIM and LYN HALL
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
              Dave, when I tried the below instuctions, at 3) we connect, awaiting response, but then an error 404 Not Found comes up. Did I wait too long to run this?  I was out of town and could not get to this update until today.  Jim node 3024 WH7CD

              David McAnally wrote:

              > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php
              > <http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php> already do this?
              >
              > --
              > Regards,
              > David McAnally, WD5M
              >
              > On 7/9/08, *David Cameron (IRLP)* <dcameron@irlp. net
              > <mailto:dcameron@irlp. net>> wrote:
              >
              > So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
              > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
              > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
              > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
              >
              > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
              > currently, and build one from scratch.
              >
              > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
              > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
              > have no way to test it.
              >

              > Dave Cameron

            • Matthew Sybrant
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 21, 2009
                I tired to download this script and also received the same
                error...(file not found). Is this no longer available?

                regards

                kb0jwr
                node 3833

                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "JIM and LYN HALL"