Re: [SPAM][irlp-embedded] Re: CW id after node idle

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
      All you have to do is make a script to ID as you want. If you define
      exactly what you want, someone can help you make a script.

      For example, there are already scripts on the node (related to the IRLP
      controller) which will ID the node for you. For example, if you run

      /home/irlp/features/morseid/id_now

      it will ID the node. Combine this line with a script that wait for
      activity, etc.

      Dave Cameron

      JIM and LYN HALL wrote:

      > Although I have not checked recently, Dave made up the cable and I
      > remember the pins jumpered so that is most probably not the problem.
      > The IDer works at termination of node, but not at other times. Jim
      > WH7CD node 3024

    • Steven Passmore
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
        I'm not sure what the ID script looks like on the embedded node but I
        modified an ID script for a standard node to do just that several years
        back and it's been ID'ing my repeater just fine since. Basically I
        took a line that looks like this:

        # Active pttstate triggers the id
        if ! $BIN/pttstate; then
        idstate="id"

        And added a check for cosstate as follows:

        # Active pttstate or cosstate triggers the id
        if ! $BIN/pttstate || ! $BIN/cosstate; then
        idstate="id"

        There also was a portion of the script that tried to prevent it from
        ID'ing on top of a user where I had to modify it from

        # Check ptt state for inactivity
        if $BIN/pttstate; then
        return 0
        fi

        I changed it to:

        # Check ptt and cos state for inactivity
        if $BIN/pttstate && $BIN/cosstate; then
        return 0
        fi

        It now works just as a hardware controller ID'er would.

        I've also done the same with one of the courtesy tone scripts only I
        changed it to only play a tone for local users which allows us to
        differentiate IRLP traffic from Local. I have the node tied to a Stock
        GE Repeater and the node scripts have been working so well I haven't
        bothered to install a hardware controller I bought for it several years
        back.

        Steve P.

      • JIM and LYN HALL
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
          OK, maybe we should work off line, but I would ideally like the IDer to announce when the node connects, disconnects, when a query illicits a response for the node (ie a *69 cmd is recv'd) and every 10 minutes while the node is connected.  I have been reluctant to modify the embedded system because it has been working so flawlessly (thanks Dave). I have programmed Fortran, Basic and some others ( I know that is like saying I had experience with spark-gap xmtr's so I should be able to work on IC's). Have played a little with the modification of Linux script, but would be happier with alot of step by step instruction in such a script writing and impementing process.  Thanks 73 Jim WH7CD node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
            So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
            then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
            every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
            activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....

            So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
            currently, and build one from scratch.

            I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
            the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
            have no way to test it.

            Dave Cameron

            JIM and LYN HALL wrote:

            > OK, maybe we should work off line, but I would ideally like the IDer to
            > announce when the node connects, disconnects, when a query illicits a
            > response for the node (ie a *69 cmd is recv'd) and every 10 minutes
            > while the node is connected. I have been reluctant to modify the
            > embedded system because it has been working so flawlessly (thanks Dave).
            > I have programmed Fortran, Basic and some others ( I know that is like
            > saying I had experience with spark-gap xmtr's so I should be able to
            > work on IC's). Have played a little with the modification of Linux
            > script, but would be happier with alot of step by step instruction
            > in such a script writing and impementing process. Thanks 73 Jim WH7CD
            > node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

          • David McAnally
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
              Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php already do this?

              --
              Regards,
              David McAnally, WD5M

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                Likely. But there always seems to be a special application.

                Either way, I have made a script especially for this application, and
                posted it to the irlp ftp site. I have heavily commented it, almost so
                much that it is hard to read the actual commands.

                Here is how you would get it onto your embedded node:

                1) Log in as repeater (or root and su - repeater)
                2) cd /home/irlp/custom
                3) wget ftp.irlp.net/pub/interval_id
                4) chmod +x interval_id

                Now try to run it from the command line in debug mode (so you can see
                what it is doing)

                /home/irlp/custom/interval_id debug

                I would suggest setting the interval inside the script to something less
                that 600 seconds, or you will be waiting for a while....

                Then, once you think it meets your needs, you can add it to the startup
                script, by adding the following lines to the bottom of the
                /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp file: (this will need to be done as root)

                killall interval_ID >dev/null 2>&1
                /home/irlp/custom/interval_ID >/dev/null 2>&1 &

                You will also want to turn off the current morse_id system, by changing
                the /home/irlp/features/features.env file, and setting the value to NO.
                Otherwise, the IDs will battle each other.

                export USE_MORSEID=NO

                And finally, once you have set everything the way you want it, I would
                run the flash_sync script and reboot the node.

                Dave Cameron

                David McAnally wrote:

                > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php
                > <http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php> already do this?
                >
                > --
                > Regards,
                > David McAnally, WD5M
                >
                > On 7/9/08, *David Cameron (IRLP)* <dcameron@irlp. net
                > <mailto:dcameron@...>> wrote:
                >
                > So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
                > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
                >
                > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                > currently, and build one from scratch.
                >
                > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
                > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                > have no way to test it.
                >

                > Dave Cameron

              • JIM and LYN HALL
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                  Great, much more than I hoped for. I thought what I wanted was pretty much standard repeater ID'ing not having a repeater and just having the node. No rush, but it seems this would be useful to all nodes (luv to keep the FCC happy :).  Jim WH7CD node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

                  JIM and LYN HALL wrote:

                  > OK, maybe we should work off line, but I would ideally like the IDer to
                  > announce when the node connects, disconnects, when a query illicits a
                  > response for the node (ie a *69 cmd is recv'd) and every 10 minutes
                  > while the node is connected. I have been reluctant to modify the
                  > embedded system because it has been working so flawlessly (thanks Dave).
                  > I have programmed Fortran, Basic and some others ( I know that is like
                  > saying I had experience with spark-gap xmtr's so I should be able to
                  > work on IC's). Have played a little with the modification of Linux
                  > script, but would be happier with alot of step by step instruction
                  > in such a script writing and impementing process. Thanks 73 Jim WH7CD
                  > node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

                • Randy Hammock
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                    On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:47 AM, David McAnally wrote:

                    > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
                    > already do this?

                    Yup, and more. It tries to be as unobtrusive as possible but keep
                    things completely legal. It has a undocumented feature that when an
                    IRLP call is finished, you can set a flag in the custom_off script
                    that will cause the ID to play when the call has ended rather than
                    wait for a a seemingly ambiguous ID when the 10 minute timer kicks it
                    off. It will attempt to ID at the start of a call but only if it has
                    been more than 10 minutes since the last ID. If the node stays busy
                    after connecting, it will wait for a 3 second break in talking before
                    trying to ID or the 10 minute timer expires causing a forced ID,
                    whichever happens first.
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    > David McAnally, WD5M
                    >
                    > On 7/9/08, David Cameron (IRLP) <dcameron@...> wrote:So in this
                    > case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                    > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID,
                    > then ID
                    > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                    > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
                    >
                    > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                    > currently, and build one from scratch.
                    >
                    > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and
                    > post
                    > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                    > have no way to test it.

                    Randy Hammock KC6HUR
                    http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
                    http://irlp.kc6hur.net/
                    If there are no horses in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
                    they went.
                  • Steven Passmore
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                      I haven't looked at it in about a year but I don't think it does. It
                      only monitors the node PTT activity which works fine for a simplex node.
                      But if you are trying to ID a repeater it needs to monitor COS as well
                      since local users can activate the TX thereby requiring it to ID.

                      David McAnally wrote:
                      > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
                      > already do this?
                      >
                      > --
                      > Regards,
                      > David McAnally, WD5M

                    • JIM and LYN HALL
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
                        Dave, when I tried the below instuctions, at 3) we connect, awaiting response, but then an error 404 Not Found comes up. Did I wait too long to run this?  I was out of town and could not get to this update until today.  Jim node 3024 WH7CD

                        David McAnally wrote:

                        > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php
                        > <http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php> already do this?
                        >
                        > --
                        > Regards,
                        > David McAnally, WD5M
                        >
                        > On 7/9/08, *David Cameron (IRLP)* <dcameron@irlp. net
                        > <mailto:dcameron@irlp. net>> wrote:
                        >
                        > So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                        > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
                        > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                        > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
                        >
                        > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                        > currently, and build one from scratch.
                        >
                        > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
                        > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                        > have no way to test it.
                        >

                        > Dave Cameron

                      • Matthew Sybrant
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 21, 2009
                          I tired to download this script and also received the same
                          error...(file not found). Is this no longer available?

                          regards

                          kb0jwr
                          node 3833

                          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "JIM and LYN HALL"