Re: [irlp-embedded] EchoIRLP

  • David McAnally
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 20, 2006
      On 9/19/06, Sjaak van Dam <PA3GVR@...> wrote:
      > Hi List,
      >
      > I don't know if this belong here or on the EchoIRLP list. This list is
      > my first try.
      >
      > I am in the process of configuring our embedded IRLP node (4999).
      > I have never played with EchoIRLP.
      >
      > I just signed up and we were validated (within 4 hours!).
      > Besideds the first time to set us up I have not run the EchoLink M$
      > Windoze program.
      > I edited the apropiate files and entered our info.
      >
      > When I try to connect to EchoLink node 273061 (and others) I hear the
      > message "Connecting to PE1BUK repeater" immediately followed by "The
      > node number you have dailed does not exist ...."
      > What am I doing wrong?

      I'm not familiar with Dave's embedded setup. But we always recommend
      you get EchoLink working with the intended callsign on Windows first.
      Be sure you enter the EchoLink password in uppercase letters in
      tbd.conf. EchoLink windows does the uppercase for you. TBD does not.
      The "node number does not exist" message is indicative of a mismatched
      password.

      --
      Regards,
      David McAnally, WD5M
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 20, 2006
        Thanks David,

        I entered the password in lowercase.

        Sjaak.

        > I'm not familiar with Dave's embedded setup. But we always recommend
        > you get EchoLink working with the intended callsign on Windows first.
        > Be sure you enter the EchoLink password in uppercase letters in
        > tbd.conf. EchoLink windows does the uppercase for you. TBD does not.
        > The "node number does not exist" message is indicative of a mismatched
        > password.
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        > David McAnally, WD5M
      • Don Morehouse
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
          Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
          node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
          it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
          not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.

          Thanks
          Don VE7EDA
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
            Hmmm, you should ask this question in the EchoIRLP group. They would be
            best to answer.

            Dave Cameron

            On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Don Morehouse wrote:

            > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
            > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
            > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
            > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Don VE7EDA

          • James Nessen
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006

              Did you restart tbd after you made the change?

              Jim

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:

                > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.

                This limit is determined by the "MaxConferenceClients =" setting in
                the file "/home/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf". You must restart thebridge
                after making any changes to tbd.conf. Either restart IRLP via
                rc.irlp, or as root, run "service tbd restart". You may also run
                "service tbd stop", followed by "service tbd start".

                --
                Regards,
                David McAnally, WD5M
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                  That is where I made the change from 1 to 5
                  MaxConferenceClients = 5
                  I did restart the node "/home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp"
                  There are three other settings that I may play with.
                  UserCountEnable = 0
                  MaxCountEnable = 0
                  UserCountinLocation = 0
                  Not sure what they are for exactly.

                  Thanks all.

                  Don VE7EDA

                  --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David McAnally"
                  <David.McAnally@...> wrote:

                  > On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                  > > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                  > > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                  > > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.
                  >
                  > This limit is determined by the "MaxConferenceClients =" setting in
                  > the file "/home/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf". You must restart thebridge
                  > after making any changes to tbd.conf. Either restart IRLP via
                  > rc.irlp, or as root, run "service tbd restart". You may also run
                  > "service tbd stop", followed by "service tbd start".
                  >
                  > --
                  > Regards,
                  > David McAnally, WD5M

                • James Nessen
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006

                    UserCountEnable will append the number of connected users to your location, for example, when I see my repeater in echolink, I see

                    KD6HWC-R   Dixon, CA [0] (or 1 if I have someone connected)

                    MaxCountEnable will do the same as above, but add the value you have set in MaxConferenceClients, example:

                    KD6HWC-R   Dixon, CA [0/5] (the left is the number of connected users and the right is the max number of users that can connect)

                    UserCountInLocation will enable the counts above to be disaplayed.  (if this is set to 0 and the ones above are set to 1, they wont be displayed until this variable is set to 1)

                    Hope that helps.

                    Jim / KD6HWC

                    IRLP Node 3598

                    EchoIRLP Node 83598

                    <David.McAnally@...> wrote:

                    > On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                    > > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                    > > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                    > > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.
                    >
                    > This limit is determined by the "MaxConferenceClients =" setting
                    in
                    > the file "/home/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf". You must restart
                    thebridge
                    > after making any changes to tbd.conf. Either restart IRLP via
                    > rc.irlp, or as root, run "service tbd restart". You may also run
                    > "service tbd stop", followed by "service tbd start".
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    > David McAnally, WD5M

                  • David McAnally
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                      On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:

                      > That is where I made the change from 1 to 5
                      > MaxConferenceClients = 5
                      > I did restart the node "/home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp"
                      > There are three other settings that I may play with.
                      > UserCountEnable = 0
                      > MaxCountEnable = 0
                      > UserCountinLocation = 0
                      > Not sure what they are for exactly.

                      The MaxConferenceClients must be at least 2. One for the EchoLink
                      node, one for the IRLP node.

                      The other settings determine conference node details listed on the
                      EchoLink client and web site status pages.

                      I almost always use "service tbd stop", and "service tbd start" just
                      to be sure I see the service stop myself. I have seen instances where
                      "service tbd restart" was not sufficient. You can use pgrep -l tbd to
                      see if the service is still running after stopping it. I believe the
                      modified rc.irlp does a "service tbd restart", so maybe that is an
                      issue we need to resolve or ask Skip about.

                      --
                      Regards,
                      David McAnally, WD5M
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                        Also, please do not forget to run the flash_sync script as root after you
                        make any changes. This saves the changes to the flash drive.

                        You should also always try to power cycle the node after you do
                        configuration changes. You can safely pull the power from a node as long
                        as the flash_sync script is not running.

                        Dave Cameron

                        On Fri, 15 Dec
                        2006, David McAnally wrote:

                        > On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> That is where I made the change from 1 to 5
                        >> MaxConferenceClients = 5
                        >> I did restart the node "/home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp"
                        >> There are three other settings that I may play with.
                        >> UserCountEnable = 0
                        >> MaxCountEnable = 0
                        >> UserCountinLocation = 0
                        >> Not sure what they are for exactly.
                        >
                        > The MaxConferenceClients must be at least 2. One for the EchoLink
                        > node, one for the IRLP node.
                        >
                        > The other settings determine conference node details listed on the
                        > EchoLink client and web site status pages.
                        >
                        > I almost always use "service tbd stop", and "service tbd start" just
                        > to be sure I see the service stop myself. I have seen instances where
                        > "service tbd restart" was not sufficient. You can use pgrep -l tbd to
                        > see if the service is still running after stopping it. I believe the
                        > modified rc.irlp does a "service tbd restart", so maybe that is an
                        > issue we need to resolve or ask Skip about.

                      • Craig
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 28, 2007
                          I want to disable Echolink on one of my nodes until further notice.
                          I have searched the archives and found this post from Dave Cameron.
                          It looks like I can disable the echolink portion of my embedded node
                          by going into the "/home/irlp/features/features.env" file and
                          changing:

                          "export USE_ECHOIRLP=YES"

                          "export USE_ECHOIRLP=NO"

                          and then flash_sync from root and then reboot

                          Can any of you confirm that this is all I need to do to disable
                          echolink?

                        • dcameron@irlp.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 28, 2007
                            That's all. It was designed to be that easy.

                            --- In irlp-embedded@ <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

                            > EchoIRLP is configured using four files:
                            >
                            > /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf
                            > /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/echo_environment
                            > /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/userdata.txt
                            >
                            > and must be enabled in
                            > /home/irlp/features/features.env
                            >
                            > The echolink "prefix" in configured in
                            > /home/irlp/custom/custom_decode
                            >
                            > Hope that helps.
                            >
                            > Dave Cameron
                          • Keith VE7GDH
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 13, 2009
                              It was mentioned over on the regular IRLP list...

                              > ...my embedded node will do both IRLP (preferred) and Echo link.

                              If someone were to try EchoIRLP on an embedded node, is disabling it
                              (going back to IRLP only) as simple as editing features/features.env to
                              change $USE_ECHOIRLP from YES back to NO again? Also, does it "just
                              work" by enabling it, or is EchoLink registration needed ahead of time?

                              I take it that the EchoLink and IRLP side of things are kept separate...
                              i.e. no inter-connection?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 13, 2009
                                You have to configure the EchoIRLP portion, in that you require a -R
                                (repeater) or -L (link) Echolink account. All of the information
                                required to configure your EchoIRLP portion of the node is located in
                                the embedded info document that is available on the Embedded ordering page.

                                It is as easy as changing the features file to YES, configuring the
                                tbd.conf/userdata.txt/echo_environment files, flash_sync, reboot.

                                Turning it off is as easy as changing the features.env, syncing, and
                                rebooting.

                                The new filesystem that I will make available in a few days is the same,
                                except you don't have to flash_sync :)

                                Dave Cameron

                                Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                                > It was mentioned over on the regular IRLP list...
                                >
                                > > ...my embedded node will do both IRLP (preferred) and Echo link.
                                >
                                > If someone were to try EchoIRLP on an embedded node, is disabling it
                                > (going back to IRLP only) as simple as editing features/features.env to
                                > change $USE_ECHOIRLP from YES back to NO again? Also, does it "just
                                > work" by enabling it, or is EchoLink registration needed ahead of time?
                                >
                                > I take it that the EchoLink and IRLP side of things are kept separate...
                                > i.e. no inter-connection?
                                >
                                > Keith VE7GDH
                                > Node 1148

                              • Keith VE7GDH
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 13, 2009
                                  Dave VE7LTD wrote...

                                  > Turning it off is as easy as changing the features.env, syncing,
                                  > and rebooting. The new filesystem that I will make available
                                  > in a few days is the same, except you don't have to flash_sync :)

                                  Thanks for the info. Put me down for a files system upgrade
                                  when available!