CW id after node idle

  • Don
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hi group.
      I use the embedded node to id the repeater. What I'd like to add is a
      line or script that would monitor the cos and if the node has not been
      used for a length of time (15 to 20 minutes)and is keyed, come on and
      send the cw id. From what I have read about the cw id scripts, they
      will not do what I want.
      Any suggestions?

      Don VE7EDA
      Node 1811
    • James Hall
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <donmor46@...> wrote:
        >Along these lines, how should the CW ID'er work on the "stock"
        embedded machine? Ours seems to only id when the node connection is
        terminated. I thought it should work say when you *69 the machine and
        no activity has been on the machine for over 10 minutes that it should
        id. Should it id while in use and active for over 10 miniutes? I am
        not hearing it. Do we have a problem or is the design to just id when a
        node is disconnected? Jim WH7CD node 3024

        > Hi group.
        > I use the embedded node to id the repeater. What I'd like to add is a
        > line or script that would monitor the cos and if the node has not been
        > used for a length of time (15 to 20 minutes)and is keyed, come on and
        > send the cw id. From what I have read about the cw id scripts, they
        > will not do what I want.
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Don VE7EDA
        > Node 1811

      • Don
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
          James.

          You might want to check that you have a jumper installed on the DB9
          plug between pins 2 and 3. Needed for the cw id and some other
          scripts. Check in the documentation from this yahoo group under files.

          Don VE7EDA
          Node 1811

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "James Hall" <thecoldduck@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <donmor46@> wrote:
          > >Along these lines, how should the CW ID'er work on the "stock"
          > embedded machine? Ours seems to only id when the node connection is
          > terminated. I thought it should work say when you *69 the machine and
          > no activity has been on the machine for over 10 minutes that it should
          > id. Should it id while in use and active for over 10 miniutes? I am
          > not hearing it. Do we have a problem or is the design to just id when a
          > node is disconnected? Jim WH7CD node 3024
          > >
          > > Hi group.
          > > I use the embedded node to id the repeater. What I'd like to add is a
          > > line or script that would monitor the cos and if the node has not been
          > > used for a length of time (15 to 20 minutes)and is keyed, come on and
          > > send the cw id. From what I have read about the cw id scripts, they
          > > will not do what I want.
          > > Any suggestions?
          > >
          > > Don VE7EDA
          > > Node 1811

        • JIM and LYN HALL
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
            Although I have not checked recently, Dave made up the cable and I remember the pins jumpered so that is most probably not the problem.  The IDer works at termination of node, but not at other times.  Jim WH7CD node 3024

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2008
              All you have to do is make a script to ID as you want. If you define
              exactly what you want, someone can help you make a script.

              For example, there are already scripts on the node (related to the IRLP
              controller) which will ID the node for you. For example, if you run

              /home/irlp/features/morseid/id_now

              it will ID the node. Combine this line with a script that wait for
              activity, etc.

              Dave Cameron

              JIM and LYN HALL wrote:

              > Although I have not checked recently, Dave made up the cable and I
              > remember the pins jumpered so that is most probably not the problem.
              > The IDer works at termination of node, but not at other times. Jim
              > WH7CD node 3024

            • Steven Passmore
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                I'm not sure what the ID script looks like on the embedded node but I
                modified an ID script for a standard node to do just that several years
                back and it's been ID'ing my repeater just fine since. Basically I
                took a line that looks like this:

                # Active pttstate triggers the id
                if ! $BIN/pttstate; then
                idstate="id"

                And added a check for cosstate as follows:

                # Active pttstate or cosstate triggers the id
                if ! $BIN/pttstate || ! $BIN/cosstate; then
                idstate="id"

                There also was a portion of the script that tried to prevent it from
                ID'ing on top of a user where I had to modify it from

                # Check ptt state for inactivity
                if $BIN/pttstate; then
                return 0
                fi

                I changed it to:

                # Check ptt and cos state for inactivity
                if $BIN/pttstate && $BIN/cosstate; then
                return 0
                fi

                It now works just as a hardware controller ID'er would.

                I've also done the same with one of the courtesy tone scripts only I
                changed it to only play a tone for local users which allows us to
                differentiate IRLP traffic from Local. I have the node tied to a Stock
                GE Repeater and the node scripts have been working so well I haven't
                bothered to install a hardware controller I bought for it several years
                back.

                Steve P.

              • JIM and LYN HALL
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                  OK, maybe we should work off line, but I would ideally like the IDer to announce when the node connects, disconnects, when a query illicits a response for the node (ie a *69 cmd is recv'd) and every 10 minutes while the node is connected.  I have been reluctant to modify the embedded system because it has been working so flawlessly (thanks Dave). I have programmed Fortran, Basic and some others ( I know that is like saying I had experience with spark-gap xmtr's so I should be able to work on IC's). Have played a little with the modification of Linux script, but would be happier with alot of step by step instruction in such a script writing and impementing process.  Thanks 73 Jim WH7CD node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                    So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                    then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
                    every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                    activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....

                    So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                    currently, and build one from scratch.

                    I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
                    the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                    have no way to test it.

                    Dave Cameron

                    JIM and LYN HALL wrote:

                    > OK, maybe we should work off line, but I would ideally like the IDer to
                    > announce when the node connects, disconnects, when a query illicits a
                    > response for the node (ie a *69 cmd is recv'd) and every 10 minutes
                    > while the node is connected. I have been reluctant to modify the
                    > embedded system because it has been working so flawlessly (thanks Dave).
                    > I have programmed Fortran, Basic and some others ( I know that is like
                    > saying I had experience with spark-gap xmtr's so I should be able to
                    > work on IC's). Have played a little with the modification of Linux
                    > script, but would be happier with alot of step by step instruction
                    > in such a script writing and impementing process. Thanks 73 Jim WH7CD
                    > node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

                  • David McAnally
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                      Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php already do this?

                      --
                      Regards,
                      David McAnally, WD5M

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                        Likely. But there always seems to be a special application.

                        Either way, I have made a script especially for this application, and
                        posted it to the irlp ftp site. I have heavily commented it, almost so
                        much that it is hard to read the actual commands.

                        Here is how you would get it onto your embedded node:

                        1) Log in as repeater (or root and su - repeater)
                        2) cd /home/irlp/custom
                        3) wget ftp.irlp.net/pub/interval_id
                        4) chmod +x interval_id

                        Now try to run it from the command line in debug mode (so you can see
                        what it is doing)

                        /home/irlp/custom/interval_id debug

                        I would suggest setting the interval inside the script to something less
                        that 600 seconds, or you will be waiting for a while....

                        Then, once you think it meets your needs, you can add it to the startup
                        script, by adding the following lines to the bottom of the
                        /home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp file: (this will need to be done as root)

                        killall interval_ID >dev/null 2>&1
                        /home/irlp/custom/interval_ID >/dev/null 2>&1 &

                        You will also want to turn off the current morse_id system, by changing
                        the /home/irlp/features/features.env file, and setting the value to NO.
                        Otherwise, the IDs will battle each other.

                        export USE_MORSEID=NO

                        And finally, once you have set everything the way you want it, I would
                        run the flash_sync script and reboot the node.

                        Dave Cameron

                        David McAnally wrote:

                        > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php
                        > <http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php> already do this?
                        >
                        > --
                        > Regards,
                        > David McAnally, WD5M
                        >
                        > On 7/9/08, *David Cameron (IRLP)* <dcameron@irlp. net
                        > <mailto:dcameron@...>> wrote:
                        >
                        > So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                        > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
                        > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                        > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
                        >
                        > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                        > currently, and build one from scratch.
                        >
                        > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
                        > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                        > have no way to test it.
                        >

                        > Dave Cameron

                      • JIM and LYN HALL
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                          Great, much more than I hoped for. I thought what I wanted was pretty much standard repeater ID'ing not having a repeater and just having the node. No rush, but it seems this would be useful to all nodes (luv to keep the FCC happy :).  Jim WH7CD node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

                          JIM and LYN HALL wrote:

                          > OK, maybe we should work off line, but I would ideally like the IDer to
                          > announce when the node connects, disconnects, when a query illicits a
                          > response for the node (ie a *69 cmd is recv'd) and every 10 minutes
                          > while the node is connected. I have been reluctant to modify the
                          > embedded system because it has been working so flawlessly (thanks Dave).
                          > I have programmed Fortran, Basic and some others ( I know that is like
                          > saying I had experience with spark-gap xmtr's so I should be able to
                          > work on IC's). Have played a little with the modification of Linux
                          > script, but would be happier with alot of step by step instruction
                          > in such a script writing and impementing process. Thanks 73 Jim WH7CD
                          > node 3024 Bethel Island, Ca.

                        • Randy Hammock
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                            On Jul 9, 2008, at 8:47 AM, David McAnally wrote:

                            > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
                            > already do this?

                            Yup, and more. It tries to be as unobtrusive as possible but keep
                            things completely legal. It has a undocumented feature that when an
                            IRLP call is finished, you can set a flag in the custom_off script
                            that will cause the ID to play when the call has ended rather than
                            wait for a a seemingly ambiguous ID when the 10 minute timer kicks it
                            off. It will attempt to ID at the start of a call but only if it has
                            been more than 10 minutes since the last ID. If the node stays busy
                            after connecting, it will wait for a 3 second break in talking before
                            trying to ID or the 10 minute timer expires causing a forced ID,
                            whichever happens first.
                            > --
                            > Regards,
                            > David McAnally, WD5M
                            >
                            > On 7/9/08, David Cameron (IRLP) <dcameron@...> wrote:So in this
                            > case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                            > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID,
                            > then ID
                            > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                            > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
                            >
                            > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                            > currently, and build one from scratch.
                            >
                            > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and
                            > post
                            > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                            > have no way to test it.

                            Randy Hammock KC6HUR
                            http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
                            http://irlp.kc6hur.net/
                            If there are no horses in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
                            they went.
                          • Steven Passmore
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 9, 2008
                              I haven't looked at it in about a year but I don't think it does. It
                              only monitors the node PTT activity which works fine for a simplex node.
                              But if you are trying to ID a repeater it needs to monitor COS as well
                              since local users can activate the TX thereby requiring it to ID.

                              David McAnally wrote:
                              > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
                              > already do this?
                              >
                              > --
                              > Regards,
                              > David McAnally, WD5M

                            • JIM and LYN HALL
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 25, 2008
                                Dave, when I tried the below instuctions, at 3) we connect, awaiting response, but then an error 404 Not Found comes up. Did I wait too long to run this?  I was out of town and could not get to this update until today.  Jim node 3024 WH7CD

                                David McAnally wrote:

                                > Doesn't the ID script from http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php
                                > <http://irlp. kc6hur.net/ irlp_scripts. php> already do this?
                                >
                                > --
                                > Regards,
                                > David McAnally, WD5M
                                >
                                > On 7/9/08, *David Cameron (IRLP)* <dcameron@irlp. net
                                > <mailto:dcameron@irlp. net>> wrote:
                                >
                                > So in this case, I would be looking for PTT activity from the node, and
                                > then set a number of timers. So the first time it transmits, ID, then ID
                                > every 10 minutes after that, until there is 10 minutes of no PTT
                                > activity, then go quiet, until the next PTT.....
                                >
                                > So for this, I would turn off the morseID system that IDs the node
                                > currently, and build one from scratch.
                                >
                                > I don't want to crowd the list with it, but I will do some work and post
                                > the script once I complete it. I will not be able to do it today, as I
                                > have no way to test it.
                                >

                                > Dave Cameron

                              • Matthew Sybrant
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 21, 2009
                                  I tired to download this script and also received the same
                                  error...(file not found). Is this no longer available?

                                  regards

                                  kb0jwr
                                  node 3833

                                  --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "JIM and LYN HALL"