RE: [irlp-embedded] Re: Some changes to the Embedded IRLP systems

  • Mike Mullarkey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2008

      Hi Dave,

      You always have been Johnny on the spot when it comes to the support of the embedded machines and have been very happy with the one I purchased. Since were on the topic of changes to the embedded nodes. If I had a wish list. First, I wish I knew more about Linux but I won’t bother you with my lack of knowledge of Linux.

      #1 my wish list I would want to have a web browser based GUI that we could implement features sets and add options. The people that have the software for the Micro Node are cool but never used it before. I think I could speak for all of us that have a limited knowledge about Linux would be willing to pay hardware upgrade’s etc to see this feature added.

      #2 many of us now have Ethernet available at the hilltop now and speaking for myself, I would like to change the guts of my machine into a 1U rack mount case.

      #3 Figure out a way to implement a Weather alert SAME type system that could pull the information from some remote server not adjacent to the embedded node on the hilltop. If the is Memory or a bigger flash I would be all in on that as well.

      Mike Mullarkey (K7PFJ)

      Node 3003

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2008
        The problems I have with your requests are:

        1) I am not a web programmer. I built the framework required to add
        to the web interface, but have not done so myself. If some people
        want to help build a nice framed control page for the embedded nodes,
        I will build the backend to make sure it works. This could include
        features like initial setup, passwords, logfile viewing, etc. It will
        continue to run using PHP.

        The node control interface used by the micronode is a proprieatary
        piece, and it can not be implemented on the embedded node without
        permission. Also perl and other plug ins are required to run that
        interface, which are not part of the OS on the embedded nodes.

        Options can be added as a default set, and then turned off/on as
        required. Most scripts are easy add-ons in the shell, but adding them
        from the web interface is risky.

        2) I can send you a rack case and a list of directions if you supply
        me with the exact parts you have in your node currently. The problem
        I may have is that the rack cases I have are all matched for the
        latest embedded node boards, and I may not have the proper IO panels
        to make it work.

        3) Can you explain this more? I may be able to make a system wherby
        you send me the text, and I send back the MP3 within seconds, using
        cepstral or one of the other text-to-speech engines. That way the
        node does not need the storage (or should have lots of room).

        Thanks

        Dave Cameron

        --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mullarkey" <k7pfj@...>

        embedded@yahoogroups.com]