Embedded IRLP and rc210 Controller

  • Bernie McDonnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
      Greetings All:

      I have just installed one of Dave's Embedded-IRLP machines to our
      RC210. It is functioning and doing the basics. I am interested in
      locating other RC210 users who also have IRLP installed, and am
      particularly interested in anyone, like myself, using one of Dave's
      embedded machines.

      Some of the things I am interested in doing include:

      keeping the time current by setting it from the irlp box

      using the irlp box to run Ken's RCP software and program the RC210

      playing a Morse Code practice session from the irlp box over our rc210
      controlled repeater.

      other items too numerous to name

      So is there anyone else out there?

      Bernie McDonnell
    • k7iou
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
        Yes I am but also using a RLS1000b with other voip's
        Check the RC-210 site for photo's.
        Dave k7iou 3033

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
          Bernie McDonnell wrote:
          > Greetings All:
          >
          > I have just installed one of Dave's Embedded-IRLP machines to our
          > RC210. It is functioning and doing the basics. I am interested in
          > locating other RC210 users who also have IRLP installed, and am
          > particularly interested in anyone, like myself, using one of Dave's
          > embedded machines.
          >
          > Some of the things I am interested in doing include:
          >
          > keeping the time current by setting it from the irlp box

          Can be done with a cron script and dtmfdial command from IRLP if the
          PC's clock is accurately synched to something, like a public NTP
          server... to any repeater controller with a clock that can be set by
          DTMF commands.

          > using the irlp box to run Ken's RCP software and program the RC210

          Does Ken's software run under Linux? Sounds like a question for Ken.
          But there's no room to be loading much software on that embedded
          machine's flash disk, really. It's built specifically for the
          size/purpose of being an IRLP node.

          > playing a Morse Code practice session from the irlp box over our rc210
          > controlled repeater.

          Nothing really written for this, but what do you want it to send? If
          you had your morse session already in an mp3 or WAV file (of the right
          variety), copying it to the IRLP node and playing it out over the air is
          simple. That and again, if you don't run the machine out of RAM Disk.

          > other items too numerous to name

          Other ideas, too numerous to share. :-)

          Nate WY0X
        • James Nessen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
            Ahh, cross-posted. See my response over on the IRLP group.

            Jim / K6JWN

            > Greetings All:
            >
            > I have just installed one of Dave's Embedded-IRLP machines to our
            > RC210. It is functioning and doing the basics. I am interested in
            > locating other RC210 users who also have IRLP installed, and am
            > particularly interested in anyone, like myself, using one of Dave's
            > embedded machines.
            >
            > Some of the things I am interested in doing include:
            >
            > keeping the time current by setting it from the irlp box
            >
            > using the irlp box to run Ken's RCP software and program the RC210
            >
            > playing a Morse Code practice session from the irlp box over our rc210
            > controlled repeater.
            >
            > other items too numerous to name
            >
            > So is there anyone else out there?
            >
            > Bernie McDonnell

          • Bernie McDonnell
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
              Thanks Nate:

              Lets take the second item first.

              > Does Ken's software run under Linux? Sounds like a question for Ken.
              > But there's no room to be loading much software on that embedded
              > machine's flash disk, really. It's built specifically for the
              > size/purpose of being an IRLP node.

              The RCP software is a WinDoze product. It would require implementing
              wine on the linux machine. Also, would probably need a gui interface.
              I realize this might push the limits beyond its current RAM and
              FlashDrive limits, but the motherboard can handle 1GB and I could add
              a larger or a second FlashDrive. I don't want to put any more at the
              repeater site than I have to. I would like the ability to access the
              one pc and use it to program the rc210 remotely.

              > Can be done with a cron script and dtmfdial command from IRLP if the
              > PC's clock is accurately synched to something, like a public NTP
              > server... to any repeater controller with a clock that can be set by
              > DTMF commands.

              I thought the irlp box used an NTP server for time? Where do I put the
              script? How do I modify crontab? Do I need vi to do it like on some
              other linux boxes I have used? Yes the rc210 can use dtmf to set the
              clock. you unlock the port to allow programming, then send *5100HHMM
              in a 24 hour format, finally sending the lock command. Three dtmf
              strings total. Key the port, unlock, unkey the port, pause, key the
              port, time string, unkey the port, pause, key the port, lock, unkey
              the port.

              > > playing a Morse Code practice session

              > what do you want it to send? If you had your morse session already
              > in an mp3 or WAV file (of the right variety), copying it to the IRLP
              > node and playing it out over the air is simple.

              It would be an audio file. What would it need to be to be "the right
              variety"? I could scp tonite's lesson up to a usb drive I would leave
              plugged in if the process could access it there. I would have a couple
              of audio files that would announce the opening and closing of the
              session over the repeater and that would be about it. Three audio
              files to play one after the other. There would be some dtmf commands
              to the rc210 to prevent input on the repeater port during the session
              and restore it after.

              Bernie
              NP2W
            • Bernie McDonnell
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
                Jim,

                Yeah, I figured that some of the stuff I was asking about might have
                been done on the bigger machines before, but there were things
                specific about the embedded box too. So, I am off to the other group
                for your feedback. Thanks.

                Bernie
                NP2W