USB Ports

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
      Just wondering if the USB ports can be used and would that use
      additional resources in terms of memory etc.

      Dennis
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
        The drivers are there for the usb ports themselves.... It should handle
        keyboard and mouse with no problem. The USB storage module is there, but
        I have had troubles with the USB stick I have.

        Dave

        On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dennis
        wrote:

        > Just wondering if the USB ports can be used and would that use
        > additional resources in terms of memory etc.
        >
        > Dennis

      • ak5z
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
          I have just upgraded my systems and, since I don't have a monitor for
          each computer in the radio room, I installed KVM switches with USB
          ports for use with USB keyboards and mouse. The mouse and Keyboard
          are working fine on the Windows computers, but when I switch to the
          Embedded-IRLP box, it doesn't recognize the USB keyboard. If I plug
          a PS2 keyboard directly into the Embedded-IRLP box, it works fine.
          If I plug the USB keyboard directly into one of the USB ports on the
          Embedded-IRLP box, the keyboard doesn't work. Dave said that the
          drivers for USB keyboard and mouse are in the Embedded-IRLP box, but
          it doesn't work. I down't want to have separate keyboards for the
          Embedded-IRLP box and the other computer. Does anyone know what I
          need to do to get the Embedded-IRLP box to recognize my USB keyboard?
          John, AK5Z
          Node 3600

          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, David Cameron - IRLP
          <dcameron@...> wrote:

          > The drivers are there for the usb ports themselves.... It should
          handle
          > keyboard and mouse with no problem. The USB storage module is
          there, but
          > I have had troubles with the USB stick I have.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dennis
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Just wondering if the USB ports can be used and would that use
          > > additional resources in terms of memory etc.
          > >
          > > Dennis

        • Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
            John AK5Z wrote...

            > I installed KVM switches with USB ports for use with USB keyboard
            > and mouse... but when I switch to the Embedded-IRLP box, it doesn't
            > recognize the USB keyboard....

            I hope you can find a solution for getting the USB keyboard going via the
            KVM switch, but don't forget that you can log in by SSH from one of your
            other computers. It's just as if the keyboard is directly connected to the
            embedded node. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do is watch the screen
            while it's booting up.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
              Sorry for the delayed response on this.

              Since the "hotplug" system is not properly working, you would have to
              manually add the drivers for the USB keyboard.

              That being said, I think you can also "simulate" a PS2 keyboard in the
              BIOS by changing the USB keyboard support to YES.

              Otherwise, try this:

              Once the computer is booted, login as root (obviously using a PS2
              keyboard or SSH). Then (like the USB key), load the modules by hand.

              modprobe usbkbd
              modprobe usbmouse

              Tell me what happens... I dont have one operaing here right now, and I
              dont own a usb keyboard.

              If this works, you can add those lines to the
              /etc/rc.d/rc.local file

              Dave Cameron