Weather Script for

  • Mike Mullarkey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2008

      David,

      Has anyone added a sever weather script into there embedded node. Out here in Colorado , we sure could use such a feature since we do occasionally get tornados and other odd weather out here. There are several weather spotter groups that would like to use the repeater and had asked if there was such a feature. Would I need to upgrade the node or add something to it to accomplish such a feature?

      Sincerely,

      Mike Mullarkey (K7PFJ)

      Node 3003

      6886 Sage Ave

      Firestone, CO 80504

      303-954-9693 Home Office

      303-718-8052 Cellular

    • Randy Hammock
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2008
        the weather script requires that perl be installed on the node . The
        embedded nodes do not have the capacity to support such operation.
        Sorry.

        --
        Randy Hammock KC6HUR
        http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2008

          HI Randy,

          Is there a way to upgrade the node to allow the changes

          Mike Mullarkey (K7PFJ)

          6886 Sage Ave

          Firestone, CO 80504

          303-954-9693 Home Office

          303-718-8052 Cellular

          --
          Randy Hammock KC6HUR
          http://kc6hur. net/~rhammock/
          http://irlp. kc6hur.net/
          If there are no horses in heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
          they went.

        • Nate Duehr
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2008
            On May 23, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Mike Mullarkey wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > Has anyone added a sever weather script into there embedded node.
            > Out here in Colorado, we sure could use such a feature since we do
            > occasionally get tornados and other odd weather out here. There are
            > several weather spotter groups that would like to use the repeater
            > and had asked if there was such a feature. Would I need to upgrade
            > the node or add something to it to accomplish such a feature?

            I've added someone's weather script to 3291 and 3990 that will pull
            down weather data and speak it, Mike. But there's no good source
            (text, reliable, easy to parse) of either NOAA alerts or Amber Alerts
            that I could find for Colorado -- or I would have written something to
            do those.

            What we need NOAA and CBI to do is provide a reliable place to get
            such alerts from the web that isn't all Flash-enabled and browser
            silliness. Just the alerts in text format. Even an FTP directory
            with alerts stored by date/time stamp would work excellently.

            --
            Nate Duehr, WY0X
            nate@...
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2008
              For the embedded nodes, you would be best to have a separate server
              obtain the weather info, create the wave/mp3 files, and then download
              them to the node on demand and play them.

              Dave Cameron