is there a second serial port on the embedded node?

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2008
      > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
      > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
      > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??

      I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer's info it says:

      "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"

      "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
      for a second com port"

      Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?

      And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
      or is it ready to go as com3?
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2008
        Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS. There is a 10 pin header on the
        motherboard as a second serial port.

        Dave

        Craig wrote:

        > > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
        > > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
        > > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??
        > >

        > I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer' s info it says:
        >
        > "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"
        >
        > "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
        > for a second com port"
        >
        > Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?
        >
        > And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
        > or is it ready to go as com3?

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2008
          David Cameron wrote:

          > Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS.
          > There is a 10 pin header on the
          > motherboard as a second serial port.

          Thanks Dave! I also just found the same info in users manual which can
          be downloaded from this link:

          http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?
          motherboard_id=301
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2008
            The newer embedded nodes are being shipped with a new motherboard that
            only have one serial port.

            Dave Cameron