Re: [irlp-embedded] routing data from the serial port to a server on the Internet

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2008
      Craig WD5BDX wrote...

      > Where (what folder) would be the best place to put this executable
      > file...

      The best place to place "add-ons" would be in /home/irlp/custom.

      > and do I need to worry about it conflicting with the linux tty console
      > that is also talking on the serial port?

      It is? As far as I know, the serial port isn't being used.

      > I assume that if I get the process running and forked to the
      > background and there are problems I can kill it or worst case I can
      > reboot the embedded node and that should get me back to normal
      > IRLP operations.

      That sounds reasonable.

      > If this works out I would next like to try routing APRS data from a
      > TNC to an IGate using the embedded node.

      The existing IRLP APRS script creates an APRS object, connects to an
      APRS server and sends it. The newly generated object should be sent
      again when the node status changes or every X minutes based on a user
      configured cron job... created in custom.crons in the last step of the
      installation. You can edit custom.crons to alter it. Just remember to do
      an "update files" afterwards.

      http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
      http://irlp.kc6hur.net/downloads/aprs_status-4.0.tgz

      It sounds like (one of the things) you are trying to do is get an IGate
      running on the embedded node... i.e. a radio & TNC connected to the
      serial port and gate any UI frames that it hears to an APRS server. Keep
      us informed of your progress!

      Going by your callsign, you are in the US, so APRS would be on 144.390.
      If your IRLP node is on VHF, you might want to put it as close to the
      top of the band as you can to get a bit of separation from between it
      and 144.390. Putting some vertical separation between the antennas will
      help. Adding some filters wouldn't hurt either... perhaps a combination
      of band pass / band reject filters as needed e.g. reject the node
      frequency on the feedline going to the APRS radio if the IRLP node is
      desensing the APRS radio, or reject the APRS frequency if it's desensing
      the IRLP radio, or bandpass on either one of them in combination with
      reject filters for the other frequency. I'm running an IRLP node here as
      well as an APRS digi and an IGate. I'm not using any filters, but APRS
      is down at 144.390 and my node is up at 147.570 SX.

    • Craig
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2008

        Keith VE7GDH wrote:
        > It is? As far as I know, the serial port
        > isn't being used.

        I forgot for a moment that the embedded node has a keyboard, mouse
        and VGA port. I actually haven't used the serial port for the
        console. This brings up the next question. Is the keyboard and VGA
        monitor considered to be "com1" by the linux operating system? If
        that's the case then is the serial port "com2" ??

        > Going by your callsign, you are in the US, so
        > APRS would be on 144.390

        I'm in Hoston Texas. Yes the APRS receiver needs to be on 144.39 and
        the AIS ship receiver is on 161.975 Mhz which is VHF marine channel
        87.

        Here is the ship receiver I want to use:

        http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm

        It sells for $189 in the USA.

        Here is a link showing some of the data you can pick up with this
        receiver

        http://hd-sf.com/index.html
      • Craig
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2008
          > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
          > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
          > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??

          I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer's info it says:

          "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"

          "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
          for a second com port"

          Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?

          And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
          or is it ready to go as com3?
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2008
            Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS. There is a 10 pin header on the
            motherboard as a second serial port.

            Dave

            Craig wrote:

            > > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
            > > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
            > > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??
            > >

            > I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer' s info it says:
            >
            > "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"
            >
            > "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
            > for a second com port"
            >
            > Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?
            >
            > And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
            > or is it ready to go as com3?

          • Craig
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2008
              David Cameron wrote:

              > Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS.
              > There is a 10 pin header on the
              > motherboard as a second serial port.

              Thanks Dave! I also just found the same info in users manual which can
              be downloaded from this link:

              http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?
              motherboard_id=301
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                The newer embedded nodes are being shipped with a new motherboard that
                only have one serial port.

                Dave Cameron