Trying to load and run SpUploader

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2008
      Here is the current status of my little project.

      I downloaded to my windows xp machine the "spu.tar.gz" file from
      www.coaa.co.uk

      Then I copied it over to the embedded node using WINscp. I put the
      file in the directory "/home/irlp/shipplotter"

      This directory is owned by "repeater"

      Then I performed these two commands on the file:

      "gunzip spu.tar.gz"

      "tar -xf spu.tar"

      Now I have a file (that I assume is a binary) called "spuploader" in
      the directory

      To make it executable I used the following command:

      "chmod u+x spuploader"

      When I ran the file with nothing hooked up to the serial port I got a
      floating point exception error. I forwarded my results back to Bev
      to see what he wanted to do next.

      If any of you in this group have any ideas or suggestions please let
      me know.

      Thanks

      Craig
      wd5bdx
      IRLP node 3770

      -------------------
      From: Bev M Ewen-Smith <info@...>

      Hi Craig,

      SP-Uploader for Linux

      I wonder if you would care to try :
      www.coaa.co.uk/spu.tar.gz

      If you "gunzip spu.tar.gz" it in Linux, you will find "spu.tar".
      If you "tar -xf spu.tar" it, you will find two files :

      spuploader_doc is a document file that describes the use of the
      utility.
      spuploader is the executable file.

      You need to start it in a terminal window. There are up to four
      command line arguments that define the serial port, data rate etc.
      You also need to make sure that it has read/write access to the
      selected port. The method of doing this is specific to your flavour
      of Linux.

      When you run it, it automatically registers for uploading data to the
      SP sharing server.

      It is very much a test version and I am still feeling my way with
      Linux so expect the unexepected.

      Regards
      Bev
      COAA

      --------------------

      SpUploader instructions

      SpUploader is a Linux utility to read NMEA AIS formatted data from a
      serial comms port and to consolidate the received data and upload it
      to the COAA ShipPlotter sharing server. See www.shipplotter.com for
      more details on ShipPlotter.

      Requirements

      A serial AIS receiver connected to a serial comms port.
      User permissions for the current user to have read/write access to
      that comms port.
      Internet access.

      Command line

      ./spuploader [-c.][-b.....][-v][-i.]

      Command line flags

      -c followed immediately by the comm port number. Note that
      comms port numbers start with '1' not '0'. "COM1"
      corresponds to "/dev/ttyS0".
      -b followed immediately by the data rate in bits per second.
      -v verbose mode. The program describes its settings and
      gives a precis of the ship data received. Error messages
      are output regardless of the -v flag
      -i followed immediately by a single character specifies the
      second sharing code identifier.

      Example

      ./spuploader -c1 -b38400 -v -iz

      The default values are -c1 -b38400 -i0 with verbose mode off. Only
      error messages are displayed in the default state.

      Distribution

      A gzipped tarball containing the executable and this document.

      (C) COAA 2008
      info@...
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2008
        Craig WD5BDX wrote...

        > Where (what folder) would be the best place to put this executable
        > file...

        The best place to place "add-ons" would be in /home/irlp/custom.

        > and do I need to worry about it conflicting with the linux tty console
        > that is also talking on the serial port?

        It is? As far as I know, the serial port isn't being used.

        > I assume that if I get the process running and forked to the
        > background and there are problems I can kill it or worst case I can
        > reboot the embedded node and that should get me back to normal
        > IRLP operations.

        That sounds reasonable.

        > If this works out I would next like to try routing APRS data from a
        > TNC to an IGate using the embedded node.

        The existing IRLP APRS script creates an APRS object, connects to an
        APRS server and sends it. The newly generated object should be sent
        again when the node status changes or every X minutes based on a user
        configured cron job... created in custom.crons in the last step of the
        installation. You can edit custom.crons to alter it. Just remember to do
        an "update files" afterwards.

        http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
        http://irlp.kc6hur.net/downloads/aprs_status-4.0.tgz

        It sounds like (one of the things) you are trying to do is get an IGate
        running on the embedded node... i.e. a radio & TNC connected to the
        serial port and gate any UI frames that it hears to an APRS server. Keep
        us informed of your progress!

        Going by your callsign, you are in the US, so APRS would be on 144.390.
        If your IRLP node is on VHF, you might want to put it as close to the
        top of the band as you can to get a bit of separation from between it
        and 144.390. Putting some vertical separation between the antennas will
        help. Adding some filters wouldn't hurt either... perhaps a combination
        of band pass / band reject filters as needed e.g. reject the node
        frequency on the feedline going to the APRS radio if the IRLP node is
        desensing the APRS radio, or reject the APRS frequency if it's desensing
        the IRLP radio, or bandpass on either one of them in combination with
        reject filters for the other frequency. I'm running an IRLP node here as
        well as an APRS digi and an IGate. I'm not using any filters, but APRS
        is down at 144.390 and my node is up at 147.570 SX.

      • Craig
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2008

          Keith VE7GDH wrote:
          > It is? As far as I know, the serial port
          > isn't being used.

          I forgot for a moment that the embedded node has a keyboard, mouse
          and VGA port. I actually haven't used the serial port for the
          console. This brings up the next question. Is the keyboard and VGA
          monitor considered to be "com1" by the linux operating system? If
          that's the case then is the serial port "com2" ??

          > Going by your callsign, you are in the US, so
          > APRS would be on 144.390

          I'm in Hoston Texas. Yes the APRS receiver needs to be on 144.39 and
          the AIS ship receiver is on 161.975 Mhz which is VHF marine channel
          87.

          Here is the ship receiver I want to use:

          http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm

          It sells for $189 in the USA.

          Here is a link showing some of the data you can pick up with this
          receiver

          http://hd-sf.com/index.html
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2008
            > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
            > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
            > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??

            I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer's info it says:

            "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"

            "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
            for a second com port"

            Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?

            And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
            or is it ready to go as com3?
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2008
              Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS. There is a 10 pin header on the
              motherboard as a second serial port.

              Dave

              Craig wrote:

              > > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
              > > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
              > > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??
              > >

              > I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer' s info it says:
              >
              > "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"
              >
              > "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
              > for a second com port"
              >
              > Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?
              >
              > And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
              > or is it ready to go as com3?

            • Craig
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                David Cameron wrote:

                > Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS.
                > There is a 10 pin header on the
                > motherboard as a second serial port.

                Thanks Dave! I also just found the same info in users manual which can
                be downloaded from this link:

                http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?
                motherboard_id=301
                Message 7 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                  The newer embedded nodes are being shipped with a new motherboard that
                  only have one serial port.

                  Dave Cameron