Re: routing data from the serial port to a server on the Internet

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2008

      Nate Duehr wrote:
      > There's a package for "normal" IRLP nodes
      > that sends APRS "connected/disconnected"
      > messages to the APRS servers...

      Hi Nate.

      I thought that package was for only reporting the status of your IRLP
      node and not for collecting APRS data from a TNC via the serial port
      on the embedded node?

      > 1. I don't know if it will fit in
      > the limited drive space of an embedded
      > system.

      The shipplotter data uploading tool seems to be only 25 Kilobytes in
      size. I don't yet know how much ram it consumes in the process of
      receiving the data over the serial port and shipping it off to the
      server. It seems to me that I should be able to do the same thing
      with APRS data via the serial port with a a piece of code of similar
      size.

      > 2. It doesn't sound like that's what you're
      > trying to do? What APRS data would be heard
      > on your voice repeater or simplex node that
      > would need to be forwarded?

      The general idea is that I don't want to have three computers running
      24 hours a day for IRLP, APRS, and AIS. I would like to do all three
      functions in the embedded node because it doesn't consume much power
      and it already has to be running 24 hours a day.

      There would be one amateur transceiver for IRLP simplex node, another
      receiver on 144.39 MHz and a TNC collecting APRS data over the serial
      port and a third receiver on Marine VHF channel 88 to collect the gps
      data from ships via the serial port.
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 11 , May 16, 2008
        Here is the current status of my little project.

        I downloaded to my windows xp machine the "spu.tar.gz" file from
        www.coaa.co.uk

        Then I copied it over to the embedded node using WINscp. I put the
        file in the directory "/home/irlp/shipplotter"

        This directory is owned by "repeater"

        Then I performed these two commands on the file:

        "gunzip spu.tar.gz"

        "tar -xf spu.tar"

        Now I have a file (that I assume is a binary) called "spuploader" in
        the directory

        To make it executable I used the following command:

        "chmod u+x spuploader"

        When I ran the file with nothing hooked up to the serial port I got a
        floating point exception error. I forwarded my results back to Bev
        to see what he wanted to do next.

        If any of you in this group have any ideas or suggestions please let
        me know.

        Thanks

        Craig
        wd5bdx
        IRLP node 3770

        -------------------
        From: Bev M Ewen-Smith <info@...>

        Hi Craig,

        SP-Uploader for Linux

        I wonder if you would care to try :
        www.coaa.co.uk/spu.tar.gz

        If you "gunzip spu.tar.gz" it in Linux, you will find "spu.tar".
        If you "tar -xf spu.tar" it, you will find two files :

        spuploader_doc is a document file that describes the use of the
        utility.
        spuploader is the executable file.

        You need to start it in a terminal window. There are up to four
        command line arguments that define the serial port, data rate etc.
        You also need to make sure that it has read/write access to the
        selected port. The method of doing this is specific to your flavour
        of Linux.

        When you run it, it automatically registers for uploading data to the
        SP sharing server.

        It is very much a test version and I am still feeling my way with
        Linux so expect the unexepected.

        Regards
        Bev
        COAA

        --------------------

        SpUploader instructions

        SpUploader is a Linux utility to read NMEA AIS formatted data from a
        serial comms port and to consolidate the received data and upload it
        to the COAA ShipPlotter sharing server. See www.shipplotter.com for
        more details on ShipPlotter.

        Requirements

        A serial AIS receiver connected to a serial comms port.
        User permissions for the current user to have read/write access to
        that comms port.
        Internet access.

        Command line

        ./spuploader [-c.][-b.....][-v][-i.]

        Command line flags

        -c followed immediately by the comm port number. Note that
        comms port numbers start with '1' not '0'. "COM1"
        corresponds to "/dev/ttyS0".
        -b followed immediately by the data rate in bits per second.
        -v verbose mode. The program describes its settings and
        gives a precis of the ship data received. Error messages
        are output regardless of the -v flag
        -i followed immediately by a single character specifies the
        second sharing code identifier.

        Example

        ./spuploader -c1 -b38400 -v -iz

        The default values are -c1 -b38400 -i0 with verbose mode off. Only
        error messages are displayed in the default state.

        Distribution

        A gzipped tarball containing the executable and this document.

        (C) COAA 2008
        info@...
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2008
          Craig WD5BDX wrote...

          > Where (what folder) would be the best place to put this executable
          > file...

          The best place to place "add-ons" would be in /home/irlp/custom.

          > and do I need to worry about it conflicting with the linux tty console
          > that is also talking on the serial port?

          It is? As far as I know, the serial port isn't being used.

          > I assume that if I get the process running and forked to the
          > background and there are problems I can kill it or worst case I can
          > reboot the embedded node and that should get me back to normal
          > IRLP operations.

          That sounds reasonable.

          > If this works out I would next like to try routing APRS data from a
          > TNC to an IGate using the embedded node.

          The existing IRLP APRS script creates an APRS object, connects to an
          APRS server and sends it. The newly generated object should be sent
          again when the node status changes or every X minutes based on a user
          configured cron job... created in custom.crons in the last step of the
          installation. You can edit custom.crons to alter it. Just remember to do
          an "update files" afterwards.

          http://irlp.kc6hur.net/irlp_scripts.php
          http://irlp.kc6hur.net/downloads/aprs_status-4.0.tgz

          It sounds like (one of the things) you are trying to do is get an IGate
          running on the embedded node... i.e. a radio & TNC connected to the
          serial port and gate any UI frames that it hears to an APRS server. Keep
          us informed of your progress!

          Going by your callsign, you are in the US, so APRS would be on 144.390.
          If your IRLP node is on VHF, you might want to put it as close to the
          top of the band as you can to get a bit of separation from between it
          and 144.390. Putting some vertical separation between the antennas will
          help. Adding some filters wouldn't hurt either... perhaps a combination
          of band pass / band reject filters as needed e.g. reject the node
          frequency on the feedline going to the APRS radio if the IRLP node is
          desensing the APRS radio, or reject the APRS frequency if it's desensing
          the IRLP radio, or bandpass on either one of them in combination with
          reject filters for the other frequency. I'm running an IRLP node here as
          well as an APRS digi and an IGate. I'm not using any filters, but APRS
          is down at 144.390 and my node is up at 147.570 SX.

        • Craig
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2008

            Keith VE7GDH wrote:
            > It is? As far as I know, the serial port
            > isn't being used.

            I forgot for a moment that the embedded node has a keyboard, mouse
            and VGA port. I actually haven't used the serial port for the
            console. This brings up the next question. Is the keyboard and VGA
            monitor considered to be "com1" by the linux operating system? If
            that's the case then is the serial port "com2" ??

            > Going by your callsign, you are in the US, so
            > APRS would be on 144.390

            I'm in Hoston Texas. Yes the APRS receiver needs to be on 144.39 and
            the AIS ship receiver is on 161.975 Mhz which is VHF marine channel
            87.

            Here is the ship receiver I want to use:

            http://www.milltechmarine.com/SR161.htm

            It sells for $189 in the USA.

            Here is a link showing some of the data you can pick up with this
            receiver

            http://hd-sf.com/index.html
          • Craig
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2008
              > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
              > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
              > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??

              I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer's info it says:

              "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"

              "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
              for a second com port"

              Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?

              And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
              or is it ready to go as com3?
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS. There is a 10 pin header on the
                motherboard as a second serial port.

                Dave

                Craig wrote:

                > > Is the keyboard and VGA monitor considered
                > > to be "com1" by the linux operating system?
                > > If that's the case then is the serial port "com2"??
                > >

                > I also noticed in the motherboard manufacturer' s info it says:
                >
                > "Back panel I/O - 1 serial port"
                >
                > "Onboard I/O connectors - one serial port connector
                > for a second com port"
                >
                > Does this mean there are two serial ports on the motherboard?
                >
                > And if so, does the second serial port need to have a driver loaded
                > or is it ready to go as com3?

              • Craig
                Message 7 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                  David Cameron wrote:

                  > Com2 I think, it can be set in the BIOS.
                  > There is a 10 pin header on the
                  > motherboard as a second serial port.

                  Thanks Dave! I also just found the same info in users manual which can
                  be downloaded from this link:

                  http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?
                  motherboard_id=301
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18, 2008
                    The newer embedded nodes are being shipped with a new motherboard that
                    only have one serial port.

                    Dave Cameron