DTMF

  • Mike Mullarkey
    Message 1 of 13 , May 12, 2008

      Is there a way to allow the DTMF to pass through the to another node to control another part of a system. Is there a special script that will make this work.

      Thanks,

      Mike Mullarkey (K7PFJ)

      NODE 3003

      Firestone,CO

      Denver Metro

    • Nate Duehr
      Message 2 of 13 , May 12, 2008
        On May 12, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Mike Mullarkey wrote:

        > Is there a way to allow the DTMF to pass through the to another node
        > to control another part of a system. Is there a special script that
        > will make this work.

        Hi Mike,

        DTMF_REGENERATION=YES in the /home/irlp/custom/environment file
        (default it's set to no) on the remote IRLP node will cause IRLP to
        regenerate any DTMF it hears from a connected node (including voice
        falsing of DTMF) to the far-end.

        The problem with it is... IRLP takes a small amount of time to mute
        the locally received DTMF audio, which gets passed through also... so
        what it sounds like on the far-end is a tiny short blip of the first
        digit, and then a muted (no audio) key up, and then regenerated DTMF
        created in software in the node.

        If you have a way to teach the remote device to ignore that first
        "blip" of the first digit (many decoders are so fast, they'd detect
        it) then it's usable. Otherwise, it doesn't work well.

        Example: You call my node that has DTMF_REGENERATION turned on from
        your node.

        1.You punch "12345" into your rig.
        2. On my end, I get...
        A little audio blip of "1", and then a few seconds of silence (muted)
        while you punch "2345" on your end, then you unkey.

        3. And then I get "12345" regenerated from my node and then it unkeys.

        So... if something were being controlled from my node by you, it MIGHT
        receive:

        "112345".

        That make sense?

        I know some guys in California are successfully doing remote control
        with it, and maybe they've added digital audio delay boards to "cut
        off" that early DTMF digit or something... not sure.

        I've always wanted Dave Cameron to add a "unkey timer" prior to the
        DTMF being regenerated. That way whatever is decoding on the far end
        gets this:

        <Key>
        "1" (the audio blip)
        <Unkey>

        <Pause>

        <Key>
        "12345"
        <Unkey>

        That would work better.

        Dave's probably reading along, and we can poke at him to add something
        like that. The unkey delay would have to be adjustable since
        different radios turn around faster or slower than others.

        Or maybe he's already added it, and it's a "hidden" function? Dave???

        --
        Nate Duehr, WY0X
        nate@...
        Message 3 of 13 , May 13, 2008
          On May 12, 2008, at 11:35 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

          > On May 12, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Mike Mullarkey wrote:
          >
          >> Is there a way to allow the DTMF to pass through the to another node
          >> to control another part of a system. Is there a special script that
          >> will make this work.
          >
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > DTMF_REGENERATION=YES in the /home/irlp/custom/environment file
          > (default it's set to no) on the remote IRLP node will cause IRLP to
          > regenerate any DTMF it hears from a connected node (including voice
          > falsing of DTMF) to the far-end.
          >
          > The problem with it is... IRLP takes a small amount of time to mute
          > the locally received DTMF audio, which gets passed through also... so
          > what it sounds like on the far-end is a tiny short blip of the first
          > digit, and then a muted (no audio) key up, and then regenerated DTMF
          > created in software in the node.
          >
          > If you have a way to teach the remote device to ignore that first
          > "blip" of the first digit (many decoders are so fast, they'd detect
          > it) then it's usable. Otherwise, it doesn't work well.
          >
          > Example: You call my node that has DTMF_REGENERATION turned on from
          > your node.
          >
          > 1.You punch "12345" into your rig.
          > 2. On my end, I get...
          > A little audio blip of "1", and then a few seconds of silence (muted)
          > while you punch "2345" on your end, then you unkey.
          >
          > 3. And then I get "12345" regenerated from my node and then it unkeys.
          >
          > So... if something were being controlled from my node by you, it MIGHT
          > receive:
          >
          > "112345".
          >
          > That make sense?
          >
          > I know some guys in California are successfully doing remote control
          > with it, and maybe they've added digital audio delay boards to "cut
          > off" that early DTMF digit or something... not sure.
          >
          > I've always wanted Dave Cameron to add a "unkey timer" prior to the
          > DTMF being regenerated. That way whatever is decoding on the far end
          > gets this:
          >
          > <Key>
          > "1" (the audio blip)
          > <Unkey>
          >
          > <Pause>
          >
          > <Key>
          > "12345"
          > <Unkey>
          >
          > That would work better.
          >
          > Dave's probably reading along, and we can poke at him to add something
          > like that. The unkey delay would have to be adjustable since
          > different radios turn around faster or slower than others.
          >
          > Or maybe he's already added it, and it's a "hidden" function? Dave???

          When configured for _FD operation, I recall there being a way to
          disable regeneration and allow DTMF pass-through if both nodes agreed
          on the method. I forget the settings.

          --
          Randy Hammock KC6HUR
          http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
          Message 4 of 13 , May 14, 2008
            Actually, there is (or should be) and unkey between the initial send and
            the regen. If not, you can always add delay into the dtmfregen script.

            Nate Duehr wrote:

            > On May 12, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Mike Mullarkey wrote:
            >
            > > Is there a way to allow the DTMF to pass through the to another node
            > > to control another part of a system. Is there a special script that
            > > will make this work.
            >
            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > DTMF_REGENERATION= YES in the /home/irlp/custom/ environment file
            > (default it's set to no) on the remote IRLP node will cause IRLP to
            > regenerate any DTMF it hears from a connected node (including voice
            > falsing of DTMF) to the far-end.
            >
            > The problem with it is... IRLP takes a small amount of time to mute
            > the locally received DTMF audio, which gets passed through also... so
            > what it sounds like on the far-end is a tiny short blip of the first
            > digit, and then a muted (no audio) key up, and then regenerated DTMF
            > created in software in the node.
            >
            > If you have a way to teach the remote device to ignore that first
            > "blip" of the first digit (many decoders are so fast, they'd detect
            > it) then it's usable. Otherwise, it doesn't work well.
            >
            > Example: You call my node that has DTMF_REGENERATION turned on from
            > your node.
            >
            > 1.You punch "12345" into your rig.
            > 2. On my end, I get...
            > A little audio blip of "1", and then a few seconds of silence (muted)
            > while you punch "2345" on your end, then you unkey.
            >
            > 3. And then I get "12345" regenerated from my node and then it unkeys.
            >
            > So... if something were being controlled from my node by you, it MIGHT
            > receive:
            >
            > "112345".
            >
            > That make sense?
            >
            > I know some guys in California are successfully doing remote control
            > with it, and maybe they've added digital audio delay boards to "cut
            > off" that early DTMF digit or something... not sure.
            >
            > I've always wanted Dave Cameron to add a "unkey timer" prior to the
            > DTMF being regenerated. That way whatever is decoding on the far end
            > gets this:
            >
            > <Key>
            > "1" (the audio blip)
            > <Unkey>
            >
            > <Pause>
            >
            > <Key>
            > "12345"
            > <Unkey>
            >
            > That would work better.
            >
            > Dave's probably reading along, and we can poke at him to add something
            > like that. The unkey delay would have to be adjustable since
            > different radios turn around faster or slower than others.
            >
            > Or maybe he's already added it, and it's a "hidden" function? Dave???
            >
            > --
            > Nate Duehr, WY0X
            > nate@natetech. com <mailto:nate%40natetech.com>

          • Nate Duehr
            Message 5 of 13 , May 14, 2008
              On May 14, 2008, at 2:17 PM, David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:

              > Actually, there is (or should be) and unkey between the initial send
              > and
              > the regen. If not, you can always add delay into the dtmfregen script.

              Hmm.... if it's there, I've never heard it, but I wasn't listening all
              that closely either. :-)

              That would "fix" it, just fine. Cool.

              --
              Nate Duehr, WY0X
              nate@...
              Message 6 of 13 , May 14, 2008

                Hi David,

                I think that if the audio is lowered the DTMF will work but the voice audio cant be herd. I have my embedded node hooked to my RLC-4controller with the jumper taken out of the controller for flat or spkr audio. The audio is great and balanced so not sure why it wont work. I know Shorty K6JSI controls his network and has no issues. Must be something im doing here or Chris K7UND on his node 3153.

                Mike Mullarkey (K7PFJ)

                Message 7 of 13 , May 14, 2008
                  On May 14, 2008, at 6:06 PM, Mike Mullarkey wrote:

                  > Hi David,
                  >
                  > I think that if the audio is lowered the DTMF will work but the
                  > voice audio cant be herd. I have my embedded node hooked to my
                  > RLC-4controller with the jumper taken out of the controller for flat
                  > or spkr audio. The audio is great and balanced so not sure why it
                  > wont work. I know Shorty K6JSI controls his network and has no
                  > issues. Must be something im doing here or Chris K7UND on his node
                  > 3153.

                  The DTMF_REGEN dtmf comes out at "100%" I think by default, or it's
                  settable somewhere...

                  Dave may have added that later on, I can't remember...

                  50% of full PCM audio is more than plenty on a properly set up node
                  that was set up with a Service Monitor... so if REGEN doesn't have a
                  way to turn that DTMF down digitally when it's generated Dave, it
                  needs it...

                  But I think it's already in there as a setting somewhere, Mike. I'll
                  have to go look... got a Net to get on in 15 minutes first, though...
                  (GRIN).

                  --
                  Nate Duehr
                  nate@...
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 15, 2008
                    BCC'd Steve @ Link Communications

                    Hello Everyone,

                    Mike and I have been doing a BUNCH of testing and we have it narrowed down to this as our issue.  The first part of the digit that is being heard at the far end (here in Oregon) is screwing up the repeater controller because it hears it and hangs on to it.  So, if Mike enters 12345, because the "1" is shortly played, my controller hears 112345.  So, if there is a way to get the script for DTMFREGEN to do an unkey before it keys up again to do the DTMF regen that would work because an unkey will clear the buffer on the controller.  It sounds like it is supposed to do this but it is not.  When Mike in Colorado keys up and enters 12345, here in Oregon I hear 1....12345 with NO unkeys between the first blip of the digit and the string to be entered.

                    Does this make sense?  Can the DTMF Regen script be modified to first UNKEY after DTMF is heard and then Re-key to generate the DTMF?  I would think for people like myself that have to use the IRLP machine on the repeater frequency pair would be having this issue and a simple unkey of the node before a re-key to generate the DTMF would fix it.  Unfortunately I know nothing about scripts or writing them.

                    Please help....

                    Thanks!

                    Chris Underwood
                    christopher.underwood@...
                    (541) 510-9895 - Cell

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15, 2008
                      A 2 second delay was added earlier today. Perform a update files or
                      reset your nodes, and try the system again.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2008

                        HI David,

                        I just spoke with Chris K7UND in Oregon and he is resetting his node. I belive the problem is with his side since he can control my embedded node just fine but when I try to control his controller that is where things get dicey.

                        Mike Mullarkey (K7PFJ)

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 15, 2008
                          YEA!!!!!!

                          That did it Dave!  Now, there is an unkey before a re-key and now the DTMF is working GREAT!  Thank you so much for your attention to this.

                          Chris Underwood
                          christopher.underwood@...
                          (541) 510-9895 - Cell