EchoIRLP

  • donmor46
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 9, 2006
      If someone could give me a hand to set up the echolink portion of my
      node I would be greatful. I can't seem to get it to call out nor can
      anyone call into the node. It shows on echolink as being online as VE7ED-R

      Thanks
      Don VE7EDA
      Node 1946
    • donmor46
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 12, 2006
        Got it going
        Thanks
        Don

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 12, 2006
          I sent a nice long reply to your email to the group about the files to
          configure/etc... But for some reason it did not some through.

          I think Yahoo and IRLP are having a fight right now... It appears that my
          mail server is blocking incoming email, and the outgoing stuff isnt making
          it either...

          Sorry if I missed any other questions.

          I am goign to strive to support the features of the embedded nodes as much
          as I can.

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 12, 2006
            EchoIRLP is configured using four files:

            /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf
            /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/echo_environment
            /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/userdata.txt

            and must be enabled in
            /home/irlp/features/features.env

            The echolink "prefix" in configured in
            /home/irlp/custom/custom_decode

            Hope that helps.

            Dave Cameron

            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "donmor46" <donmor46@...> wrote:

            > If someone could give me a hand to set up the echolink portion of my
            > node I would be greatful. I can't seem to get it to call out nor
            can
            > anyone call into the node. It shows on echolink as being online as
            VE7ED-R

            > Thanks
            > Don VE7EDA
            > Node 1946

          • Sjaak van Dam
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 19, 2006
              Hi List,

              I don't know if this belong here or on the EchoIRLP list. This list is
              my first try.

              I am in the process of configuring our embedded IRLP node (4999).
              I have never played with EchoIRLP.

              I just signed up and we were validated (within 4 hours!).
              Besideds the first time to set us up I have not run the EchoLink M$
              Windoze program.
              I edited the apropiate files and entered our info.

              When I try to connect to EchoLink node 273061 (and others) I hear the
              message "Connecting to PE1BUK repeater" immediately followed by "The
              node number you have dailed does not exist ...."
              What am I doing wrong?

              Thanks,

              Sjaak, W4RIS
            • David McAnally
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 20, 2006
                On 9/19/06, Sjaak van Dam <PA3GVR@...> wrote:
                > Hi List,
                >
                > I don't know if this belong here or on the EchoIRLP list. This list is
                > my first try.
                >
                > I am in the process of configuring our embedded IRLP node (4999).
                > I have never played with EchoIRLP.
                >
                > I just signed up and we were validated (within 4 hours!).
                > Besideds the first time to set us up I have not run the EchoLink M$
                > Windoze program.
                > I edited the apropiate files and entered our info.
                >
                > When I try to connect to EchoLink node 273061 (and others) I hear the
                > message "Connecting to PE1BUK repeater" immediately followed by "The
                > node number you have dailed does not exist ...."
                > What am I doing wrong?

                I'm not familiar with Dave's embedded setup. But we always recommend
                you get EchoLink working with the intended callsign on Windows first.
                Be sure you enter the EchoLink password in uppercase letters in
                tbd.conf. EchoLink windows does the uppercase for you. TBD does not.
                The "node number does not exist" message is indicative of a mismatched
                password.

                --
                Regards,
                David McAnally, WD5M
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 20, 2006
                  Thanks David,

                  I entered the password in lowercase.

                  Sjaak.

                  > I'm not familiar with Dave's embedded setup. But we always recommend
                  > you get EchoLink working with the intended callsign on Windows first.
                  > Be sure you enter the EchoLink password in uppercase letters in
                  > tbd.conf. EchoLink windows does the uppercase for you. TBD does not.
                  > The "node number does not exist" message is indicative of a mismatched
                  > password.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Regards,
                  > David McAnally, WD5M
                • Don Morehouse
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                    Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                    node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                    it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                    not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.

                    Thanks
                    Don VE7EDA
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                      Hmmm, you should ask this question in the EchoIRLP group. They would be
                      best to answer.

                      Dave Cameron

                      On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Don Morehouse wrote:

                      > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                      > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                      > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                      > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Don VE7EDA

                    • James Nessen
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006

                        Did you restart tbd after you made the change?

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                          On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:

                          > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                          > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                          > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                          > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.

                          This limit is determined by the "MaxConferenceClients =" setting in
                          the file "/home/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf". You must restart thebridge
                          after making any changes to tbd.conf. Either restart IRLP via
                          rc.irlp, or as root, run "service tbd restart". You may also run
                          "service tbd stop", followed by "service tbd start".

                          --
                          Regards,
                          David McAnally, WD5M
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                            That is where I made the change from 1 to 5
                            MaxConferenceClients = 5
                            I did restart the node "/home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp"
                            There are three other settings that I may play with.
                            UserCountEnable = 0
                            MaxCountEnable = 0
                            UserCountinLocation = 0
                            Not sure what they are for exactly.

                            Thanks all.

                            Don VE7EDA

                            --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David McAnally"
                            <David.McAnally@...> wrote:

                            > On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                            > > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                            > > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                            > > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.
                            >
                            > This limit is determined by the "MaxConferenceClients =" setting in
                            > the file "/home/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf". You must restart thebridge
                            > after making any changes to tbd.conf. Either restart IRLP via
                            > rc.irlp, or as root, run "service tbd restart". You may also run
                            > "service tbd stop", followed by "service tbd start".
                            >
                            > --
                            > Regards,
                            > David McAnally, WD5M

                          • James Nessen
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006

                              UserCountEnable will append the number of connected users to your location, for example, when I see my repeater in echolink, I see

                              KD6HWC-R   Dixon, CA [0] (or 1 if I have someone connected)

                              MaxCountEnable will do the same as above, but add the value you have set in MaxConferenceClients, example:

                              KD6HWC-R   Dixon, CA [0/5] (the left is the number of connected users and the right is the max number of users that can connect)

                              UserCountInLocation will enable the counts above to be disaplayed.  (if this is set to 0 and the ones above are set to 1, they wont be displayed until this variable is set to 1)

                              Hope that helps.

                              Jim / KD6HWC

                              IRLP Node 3598

                              EchoIRLP Node 83598

                              <David.McAnally@...> wrote:

                              > On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Should more than one Echolink station be able to hook to my EchoIRLP
                              > > node? My setting is 5 but when the second Echolink tries to connect,
                              > > it says the node is busy. Being EchoIRLP, it may act this way, but if
                              > > not, then there must be something else to set that I'm missing.
                              >
                              > This limit is determined by the "MaxConferenceClients =" setting
                              in
                              > the file "/home/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf". You must restart
                              thebridge
                              > after making any changes to tbd.conf. Either restart IRLP via
                              > rc.irlp, or as root, run "service tbd restart". You may also run
                              > "service tbd stop", followed by "service tbd start".
                              >
                              > --
                              > Regards,
                              > David McAnally, WD5M

                            • David McAnally
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                                On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:

                                > That is where I made the change from 1 to 5
                                > MaxConferenceClients = 5
                                > I did restart the node "/home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp"
                                > There are three other settings that I may play with.
                                > UserCountEnable = 0
                                > MaxCountEnable = 0
                                > UserCountinLocation = 0
                                > Not sure what they are for exactly.

                                The MaxConferenceClients must be at least 2. One for the EchoLink
                                node, one for the IRLP node.

                                The other settings determine conference node details listed on the
                                EchoLink client and web site status pages.

                                I almost always use "service tbd stop", and "service tbd start" just
                                to be sure I see the service stop myself. I have seen instances where
                                "service tbd restart" was not sufficient. You can use pgrep -l tbd to
                                see if the service is still running after stopping it. I believe the
                                modified rc.irlp does a "service tbd restart", so maybe that is an
                                issue we need to resolve or ask Skip about.

                                --
                                Regards,
                                David McAnally, WD5M
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 15, 2006
                                  Also, please do not forget to run the flash_sync script as root after you
                                  make any changes. This saves the changes to the flash drive.

                                  You should also always try to power cycle the node after you do
                                  configuration changes. You can safely pull the power from a node as long
                                  as the flash_sync script is not running.

                                  Dave Cameron

                                  On Fri, 15 Dec
                                  2006, David McAnally wrote:

                                  > On 12/15/06, Don Morehouse <donmor46@...> wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> That is where I made the change from 1 to 5
                                  >> MaxConferenceClients = 5
                                  >> I did restart the node "/home/irlp/custom/rc.irlp"
                                  >> There are three other settings that I may play with.
                                  >> UserCountEnable = 0
                                  >> MaxCountEnable = 0
                                  >> UserCountinLocation = 0
                                  >> Not sure what they are for exactly.
                                  >
                                  > The MaxConferenceClients must be at least 2. One for the EchoLink
                                  > node, one for the IRLP node.
                                  >
                                  > The other settings determine conference node details listed on the
                                  > EchoLink client and web site status pages.
                                  >
                                  > I almost always use "service tbd stop", and "service tbd start" just
                                  > to be sure I see the service stop myself. I have seen instances where
                                  > "service tbd restart" was not sufficient. You can use pgrep -l tbd to
                                  > see if the service is still running after stopping it. I believe the
                                  > modified rc.irlp does a "service tbd restart", so maybe that is an
                                  > issue we need to resolve or ask Skip about.

                                • Craig
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 28, 2007
                                    I want to disable Echolink on one of my nodes until further notice.
                                    I have searched the archives and found this post from Dave Cameron.
                                    It looks like I can disable the echolink portion of my embedded node
                                    by going into the "/home/irlp/features/features.env" file and
                                    changing:

                                    "export USE_ECHOIRLP=YES"

                                    "export USE_ECHOIRLP=NO"

                                    and then flash_sync from root and then reboot

                                    Can any of you confirm that this is all I need to do to disable
                                    echolink?

                                  • dcameron@irlp.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 28, 2007
                                      That's all. It was designed to be that easy.

                                      --- In irlp-embedded@ <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "ve7ltd" <dcameron@...> wrote:

                                      > EchoIRLP is configured using four files:
                                      >
                                      > /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/tbd.conf
                                      > /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/echo_environment
                                      > /home/irlp/features/EchoIRLP/custom/userdata.txt
                                      >
                                      > and must be enabled in
                                      > /home/irlp/features/features.env
                                      >
                                      > The echolink "prefix" in configured in
                                      > /home/irlp/custom/custom_decode
                                      >
                                      > Hope that helps.
                                      >
                                      > Dave Cameron
                                    • Keith VE7GDH
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 13, 2009
                                        It was mentioned over on the regular IRLP list...

                                        > ...my embedded node will do both IRLP (preferred) and Echo link.

                                        If someone were to try EchoIRLP on an embedded node, is disabling it
                                        (going back to IRLP only) as simple as editing features/features.env to
                                        change $USE_ECHOIRLP from YES back to NO again? Also, does it "just
                                        work" by enabling it, or is EchoLink registration needed ahead of time?

                                        I take it that the EchoLink and IRLP side of things are kept separate...
                                        i.e. no inter-connection?

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 13, 2009
                                          You have to configure the EchoIRLP portion, in that you require a -R
                                          (repeater) or -L (link) Echolink account. All of the information
                                          required to configure your EchoIRLP portion of the node is located in
                                          the embedded info document that is available on the Embedded ordering page.

                                          It is as easy as changing the features file to YES, configuring the
                                          tbd.conf/userdata.txt/echo_environment files, flash_sync, reboot.

                                          Turning it off is as easy as changing the features.env, syncing, and
                                          rebooting.

                                          The new filesystem that I will make available in a few days is the same,
                                          except you don't have to flash_sync :)

                                          Dave Cameron

                                          Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                                          > It was mentioned over on the regular IRLP list...
                                          >
                                          > > ...my embedded node will do both IRLP (preferred) and Echo link.
                                          >
                                          > If someone were to try EchoIRLP on an embedded node, is disabling it
                                          > (going back to IRLP only) as simple as editing features/features.env to
                                          > change $USE_ECHOIRLP from YES back to NO again? Also, does it "just
                                          > work" by enabling it, or is EchoLink registration needed ahead of time?
                                          >
                                          > I take it that the EchoLink and IRLP side of things are kept separate...
                                          > i.e. no inter-connection?
                                          >
                                          > Keith VE7GDH
                                          > Node 1148

                                        • Keith VE7GDH
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 13, 2009
                                            Dave VE7LTD wrote...

                                            > Turning it off is as easy as changing the features.env, syncing,
                                            > and rebooting. The new filesystem that I will make available
                                            > in a few days is the same, except you don't have to flash_sync :)

                                            Thanks for the info. Put me down for a files system upgrade
                                            when available!