Re: Problem with voice_id and speaktime

  • va6xg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
      wrote:

      > Mike VE6XUK/VA6XG wrote...
      >
      > > I have two emedded nodes. One has voice_id and time
      > > announcements in the crontbs and correctly transmits these
      > > when the node is idle or busy. The other used to do this.
      > > I am not aware of changng anythng but now it only transmits
      > > voice id and time during a QSO (which it does normally).
      > > Otherwise silence! I have run both voice_id and speaktime
      > > from the command line and it seems to function normally
      > > with a delay before the prompt line comes back but nothing
      > > over the radio which does not go into transmit. No error
      > > messages. I have looked at the appropriate directories and
      > > to the best of my ability the scripts (I am not very good with
      > > Linux) and see no difference between the two nodes. Both
      > > nodes are functioning quite normally as far as IRLP
      > > connectivity etc, is concerned. Anybody help?
      >
      > If you run "crontab -l" it should list what is in crontab. If you
      have
      > run them from the command line and they don't produce the expected
      > results, the problem is probably not in the cron file. It will come
      down
      > to troubleshooting "voice_id" and "speaktime" independently. I
      don't
      > (think I) have "voice_id" but I do have "speaktime" installed.
      >
      > It makes use of "playwav" so you could test it and see if that
      works...
      > e.g.
      >
      > cd /home/irlp/audio
      > key
      > playwav 0 1 2 3 4 5
      > unkey
      >
      > The actual files are 0.ul, 1.ul etc. but leave the extension off.
      Same
      > for WAV files (it appears) as it would work for "timeout" but not
      > "timeout.wav". Of course, if this still functions properly, you
      would
      > have to continue the troubleshooting process.
      >
      > Keith VE7GDH
      > Node 1148

      Thanks, Keith. 'playwav' runs normally and I can fix my problem by
      inserting -key -unkey commands in the speaktime or voice_id files.
      Problem is that if I am in QSO and the unkey command goes off, I am
      gone. I think there is a line somewhere that queries the COSSTATE
      file and exits if it finds a value. Problem is I have no idea if this
      is in playwav or what. Sorry about my ignorance.
      Mike
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
        In this case, you should use aux1on and aux1off to key the radio. This
        is suggested in the manual, and requires that PIN 2 and PIN 3 on the
        DB-9 be bridged. This will allow independent keying of the node through
        the AUX pin, and will leave the PTT alone.

        Dave Cameron

        va6xg wrote:

        > --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com
        > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Mike VE6XUK/VA6XG wrote...
        > >
        > > > I have two emedded nodes. One has voice_id and time
        > > > announcements in the crontbs and correctly transmits these
        > > > when the node is idle or busy. The other used to do this.
        > > > I am not aware of changng anythng but now it only transmits
        > > > voice id and time during a QSO (which it does normally).
        > > > Otherwise silence! I have run both voice_id and speaktime
        > > > from the command line and it seems to function normally
        > > > with a delay before the prompt line comes back but nothing
        > > > over the radio which does not go into transmit. No error
        > > > messages. I have looked at the appropriate directories and
        > > > to the best of my ability the scripts (I am not very good with
        > > > Linux) and see no difference between the two nodes. Both
        > > > nodes are functioning quite normally as far as IRLP
        > > > connectivity etc, is concerned. Anybody help?
        > >
        > > If you run "crontab -l" it should list what is in crontab. If you
        > have
        > > run them from the command line and they don't produce the expected
        > > results, the problem is probably not in the cron file. It will come
        > down
        > > to troubleshooting "voice_id" and "speaktime" independently. I
        > don't
        > > (think I) have "voice_id" but I do have "speaktime" installed.
        > >
        > > It makes use of "playwav" so you could test it and see if that
        > works...
        > > e.g.
        > >
        > > cd /home/irlp/audio
        > > key
        > > playwav 0 1 2 3 4 5
        > > unkey
        > >
        > > The actual files are 0.ul, 1.ul etc. but leave the extension off.
        > Same
        > > for WAV files (it appears) as it would work for "timeout" but not
        > > "timeout.wav" . Of course, if this still functions properly, you
        > would
        > > have to continue the troubleshooting process.
        > >
        > > Keith VE7GDH
        > > Node 1148
        > >
        > Thanks, Keith. 'playwav' runs normally and I can fix my problem by
        > inserting -key -unkey commands in the speaktime or voice_id files.
        > Problem is that if I am in QSO and the unkey command goes off, I am
        > gone. I think there is a line somewhere that queries the COSSTATE
        > file and exits if it finds a value. Problem is I have no idea if this
        > is in playwav or what. Sorry about my ignorance.
        > Mike

      • va6xg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
          <dcameron@...> wrote:

          > In this case, you should use aux1on and aux1off to key the radio.
          This
          > is suggested in the manual, and requires that PIN 2 and PIN 3 on the
          > DB-9 be bridged. This will allow independent keying of the node
          through
          > the AUX pin, and will leave the PTT alone.
          >
          > Dave Cameron

          Thanks, Dave. I had completely forgotten that I had switched radios
          when my trusty Motorola gave out. And of course I switched cables and
          the new (old) one did not have the bridge.
          Mike