Re: [irlp-embedded] Re: Flash Drive vs. CF Adapter

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2006
      The cost is about $40US for 128 megs... Here the CF-IDE adapter costs
      $20, and you can not buy a 128M CF for $20... For larger sizes, yes, CF
      is the way to go, price wise only.

      I am thinking of selling an OS loaded IDE-flash for $100 US. It did take
      me 4 months of 3-4 hours a night to build it :) This will work in any
      mini-ITX machine that uses the VT1616 audio chipset.

      The embedded IRLP OS is only 34 megs with IRLP and Echolink installed.
      That size will come down a bit once I am able to get the audio files to be
      streamed across the connection.

      This loads into 256 megs of ram, as a 120 meg flash drive (so you can not
      exceed the amount of the drive when you mirror it back), and then with 16
      megs shared for video (as small as it goes), the OS just flies in the
      remaining RAM. There is NO RAM DRIVE, which is important to note, as if
      you use a RAM drive on a CF, your 100K writes will be dead, or really
      crippled, in less than 6 months.

      The way these embedded nodes run, I estimate a MTBF (mean time between
      failures) of something like 100000 hours, at which time the mobo or RAM
      will need to be replaced as well (12 years or so). I have similar Redhat
      6.2 based embedded machines that have not had a hiccup in 5 years.