Problem with voice_id and speaktime

  • va6xg
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
      I have two emedded nodes. One has voice_id and time announcemnts in the
      crontbs and correctly transmits these when the node is idle or busy.
      The other used to do this I am not aware of changng anythng but now it
      only transmits voice id and time during a QSO (which it does normally).
      Otherwise silence! I have run both voice_id and speaktime from the
      command line and it seems to function normally with a delay before the
      prompt line comes back but nothing over the radio which does not go
      into transmit. No error messages. I have looked at the appropriate
      directories and to the best of my ability the scripts (I am not very
      good with Linux) and see no difference between the two nodes. Both
      nodes are functioning quite normally as far as IRLP connectivity etc,
      is concerned.
      Anybody help?
      Mike VE6XUK/VA6XG
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
        Mike VE6XUK/VA6XG wrote...

        > I have two emedded nodes. One has voice_id and time
        > announcements in the crontbs and correctly transmits these
        > when the node is idle or busy. The other used to do this.
        > I am not aware of changng anythng but now it only transmits
        > voice id and time during a QSO (which it does normally).
        > Otherwise silence! I have run both voice_id and speaktime
        > from the command line and it seems to function normally
        > with a delay before the prompt line comes back but nothing
        > over the radio which does not go into transmit. No error
        > messages. I have looked at the appropriate directories and
        > to the best of my ability the scripts (I am not very good with
        > Linux) and see no difference between the two nodes. Both
        > nodes are functioning quite normally as far as IRLP
        > connectivity etc, is concerned. Anybody help?

        If you run "crontab -l" it should list what is in crontab. If you have
        run them from the command line and they don't produce the expected
        results, the problem is probably not in the cron file. It will come down
        to troubleshooting "voice_id" and "speaktime" independently. I don't
        (think I) have "voice_id" but I do have "speaktime" installed.

        It makes use of "playwav" so you could test it and see if that works...
        e.g.

        cd /home/irlp/audio
        key
        playwav 0 1 2 3 4 5
        unkey

        The actual files are 0.ul, 1.ul etc. but leave the extension off. Same
        for WAV files (it appears) as it would work for "timeout" but not
        "timeout.wav". Of course, if this still functions properly, you would
        have to continue the troubleshooting process.

      • va6xg
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
          --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
          wrote:

          > Mike VE6XUK/VA6XG wrote...
          >
          > > I have two emedded nodes. One has voice_id and time
          > > announcements in the crontbs and correctly transmits these
          > > when the node is idle or busy. The other used to do this.
          > > I am not aware of changng anythng but now it only transmits
          > > voice id and time during a QSO (which it does normally).
          > > Otherwise silence! I have run both voice_id and speaktime
          > > from the command line and it seems to function normally
          > > with a delay before the prompt line comes back but nothing
          > > over the radio which does not go into transmit. No error
          > > messages. I have looked at the appropriate directories and
          > > to the best of my ability the scripts (I am not very good with
          > > Linux) and see no difference between the two nodes. Both
          > > nodes are functioning quite normally as far as IRLP
          > > connectivity etc, is concerned. Anybody help?
          >
          > If you run "crontab -l" it should list what is in crontab. If you
          have
          > run them from the command line and they don't produce the expected
          > results, the problem is probably not in the cron file. It will come
          down
          > to troubleshooting "voice_id" and "speaktime" independently. I
          don't
          > (think I) have "voice_id" but I do have "speaktime" installed.
          >
          > It makes use of "playwav" so you could test it and see if that
          works...
          > e.g.
          >
          > cd /home/irlp/audio
          > key
          > playwav 0 1 2 3 4 5
          > unkey
          >
          > The actual files are 0.ul, 1.ul etc. but leave the extension off.
          Same
          > for WAV files (it appears) as it would work for "timeout" but not
          > "timeout.wav". Of course, if this still functions properly, you
          would
          > have to continue the troubleshooting process.
          >
          > Keith VE7GDH
          > Node 1148

          Thanks, Keith. 'playwav' runs normally and I can fix my problem by
          inserting -key -unkey commands in the speaktime or voice_id files.
          Problem is that if I am in QSO and the unkey command goes off, I am
          gone. I think there is a line somewhere that queries the COSSTATE
          file and exits if it finds a value. Problem is I have no idea if this
          is in playwav or what. Sorry about my ignorance.
          Mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
            In this case, you should use aux1on and aux1off to key the radio. This
            is suggested in the manual, and requires that PIN 2 and PIN 3 on the
            DB-9 be bridged. This will allow independent keying of the node through
            the AUX pin, and will leave the PTT alone.

            Dave Cameron

            va6xg wrote:

            > --- In irlp-embedded@ yahoogroups. com
            > <mailto:irlp-embedded%40yahoogroups.com>, "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Mike VE6XUK/VA6XG wrote...
            > >
            > > > I have two emedded nodes. One has voice_id and time
            > > > announcements in the crontbs and correctly transmits these
            > > > when the node is idle or busy. The other used to do this.
            > > > I am not aware of changng anythng but now it only transmits
            > > > voice id and time during a QSO (which it does normally).
            > > > Otherwise silence! I have run both voice_id and speaktime
            > > > from the command line and it seems to function normally
            > > > with a delay before the prompt line comes back but nothing
            > > > over the radio which does not go into transmit. No error
            > > > messages. I have looked at the appropriate directories and
            > > > to the best of my ability the scripts (I am not very good with
            > > > Linux) and see no difference between the two nodes. Both
            > > > nodes are functioning quite normally as far as IRLP
            > > > connectivity etc, is concerned. Anybody help?
            > >
            > > If you run "crontab -l" it should list what is in crontab. If you
            > have
            > > run them from the command line and they don't produce the expected
            > > results, the problem is probably not in the cron file. It will come
            > down
            > > to troubleshooting "voice_id" and "speaktime" independently. I
            > don't
            > > (think I) have "voice_id" but I do have "speaktime" installed.
            > >
            > > It makes use of "playwav" so you could test it and see if that
            > works...
            > > e.g.
            > >
            > > cd /home/irlp/audio
            > > key
            > > playwav 0 1 2 3 4 5
            > > unkey
            > >
            > > The actual files are 0.ul, 1.ul etc. but leave the extension off.
            > Same
            > > for WAV files (it appears) as it would work for "timeout" but not
            > > "timeout.wav" . Of course, if this still functions properly, you
            > would
            > > have to continue the troubleshooting process.
            > >
            > > Keith VE7GDH
            > > Node 1148
            > >
            > Thanks, Keith. 'playwav' runs normally and I can fix my problem by
            > inserting -key -unkey commands in the speaktime or voice_id files.
            > Problem is that if I am in QSO and the unkey command goes off, I am
            > gone. I think there is a line somewhere that queries the COSSTATE
            > file and exits if it finds a value. Problem is I have no idea if this
            > is in playwav or what. Sorry about my ignorance.
            > Mike

          • va6xg
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "David Cameron (IRLP)"
              <dcameron@...> wrote:

              > In this case, you should use aux1on and aux1off to key the radio.
              This
              > is suggested in the manual, and requires that PIN 2 and PIN 3 on the
              > DB-9 be bridged. This will allow independent keying of the node
              through
              > the AUX pin, and will leave the PTT alone.
              >
              > Dave Cameron

              Thanks, Dave. I had completely forgotten that I had switched radios
              when my trusty Motorola gave out. And of course I switched cables and
              the new (old) one did not have the bridge.
              Mike