Astronaut training session linked to reflector 9010 tomorrow morning

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      We are going to try an experiment of patching the astronaut
      demonstration described below to IRLP Reflector 9010 tomorrow morning
      while its in listen only mode.

      There may also be an audio stream available at the following link:

      http://www.discoveryreflector.ca/events.htm

      Please pass this message along to anyone else that may be interested
      and feel free to connect to 9010 tomorrow if you are interested.

      Craig
      wd5bdx
      IRLP Node 3770

      ********************************

      QST,

      On Thursday, Dec 13 sometime between 8:30 and 9:30 AM central time on
      the W5RRR repeater (146.64) at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) in
      Houston Texas, astronaut Mike Fincke - KE5AIT will be conducting a
      practice session making general contacts via ham radio using a newly
      installed radio in the Space Station service module mockup facility.
      If you are available and in range of the JSC repeater then you are
      welcome to try and contact him during the 10-15 minute training
      period.

      The intent is to give astronauts a feel for the protocols used while
      making general contacts and to get a sense of what a pile up may ound
      like so the more participants the better. Keep in mind that we will
      also be simulating LOS (the space station passing over the horizon
      and out of view) at some point. The crewmember will just stop calling
      or sign off to begin other training duties.

      With good support on this initial trial, we can look forward to more
      opportunities to talk with the astronauts in the future. Hope you can
      participate and look forward to your help in providing a great
      practice session.

      Kenneth - N5VHO