Re: [irlp-embedded] Embeded IRLP with Weather Station script

  • Randy Hammock
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2007
      Hard to say, probably not. Requires Perl and a number of libraries be
      installed as well as some sort of text-to-speach software. The Perl
      install can be quite large which is why Dave did not install it on the
      basic embedded system. Much the the same reason why embedded nodes are
      configured to not use custom id-on/off files. Too many, too big, and
      (IMHO pretty useless) no place to store them.

      --
      Randy Hammock KC6HUR
      http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2007
        Mike K7PFJ wrote...

        > Is there anybody running the embedded box with the weather script
        > installed? If so how would you install the script and manage it?

        Seeing as the weather script can't be installed on embedded nodes,
        how about a central server that could create the audio files? It would
        use the node number of the calling node to determine which weather
        report or forecast to play on demand.

        Along the same lines, how about a central "announce" server that could
        also play canned messages about...

        * IRLP technical announcements
        * lists of regular nets on reflectors
        * upcoming events like upcoming JOTA events
        * updates on shuttle launches / reflector number
        * info about national hamfests
        * info about "local" hamfests based on proximity to calling node
        * DX openings

        All of the above could even be on a single server. Each service would
        have a separate code. It could automatically disconnect after playing,
        but with a 3 second window for "press 1 to hear again..." or not. The
        caller could always just dial it up again.

        A script on your own node could even send out a beep or a short
        voice announcement when new announcements were available.