Embeded IRLP with Weather Station script

  • k7pfj
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2007
      Is there anybody running the embeded box with the weather script
      installed. If so how would you install the script and manage it.

      Mike K7PFJ
      Node 3003
      Firestone, CO
    • Randy Hammock
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2007
        Hard to say, probably not. Requires Perl and a number of libraries be
        installed as well as some sort of text-to-speach software. The Perl
        install can be quite large which is why Dave did not install it on the
        basic embedded system. Much the the same reason why embedded nodes are
        configured to not use custom id-on/off files. Too many, too big, and
        (IMHO pretty useless) no place to store them.

        --
        Randy Hammock KC6HUR
        http://kc6hur.net/~rhammock/
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2007
          Mike K7PFJ wrote...

          > Is there anybody running the embedded box with the weather script
          > installed? If so how would you install the script and manage it?

          Seeing as the weather script can't be installed on embedded nodes,
          how about a central server that could create the audio files? It would
          use the node number of the calling node to determine which weather
          report or forecast to play on demand.

          Along the same lines, how about a central "announce" server that could
          also play canned messages about...

          * IRLP technical announcements
          * lists of regular nets on reflectors
          * upcoming events like upcoming JOTA events
          * updates on shuttle launches / reflector number
          * info about national hamfests
          * info about "local" hamfests based on proximity to calling node
          * DX openings

          All of the above could even be on a single server. Each service would
          have a separate code. It could automatically disconnect after playing,
          but with a 3 second window for "press 1 to hear again..." or not. The
          caller could always just dial it up again.

          A script on your own node could even send out a beep or a short
          voice announcement when new announcements were available.