FT 8100R CONNECTIONS

  • James Hall
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
      We plan to use a FT8100R which has the standard mini Din connector as
      the TM V-71 and others. I just want to make sure that the pin 1 data
      input with a max 40mv pp is good for audio input to the FT8100R and
      that the pin 5 data out with 300mv pp max will drive the embedded for
      its audio input requirement. I just want to make sure I don't have to
      pick up the ext spr output for audio out from rcvr and pick up the mic
      input for xmt. I have verified pin 2 ground, pin 3 PTT, and pin 6 SQL
      (COS) on the FT8100R. 73 Jim WH7CD
    • Marshall Oldham
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
        James,

        > We plan to use a FT8100R which has the standard mini Din connector as
        > the TM V-71 and others. I just want to make sure that the pin 1 data
        > input with a max 40mv pp is good for audio input to the FT8100R

        Pin 1 on the FT-8100R mini din connector does not add pre-emphasis to the transmit audio.
        (It is set up to 9600 baud packet) All IRLP traffic audio coming from the internet will sound muddy.

        I suggest that you use the mic input for transmit audio so that pre-emphasis is
        correctly added to your IRLP transmit audio.

        > and
        > that the pin 5 data out with 300mv pp max will drive the embedded for
        > its audio input requirement. I just want to make sure I don't have to
        > pick up the ext spr output for audio out from rcvr and pick up the mic
        > input for xmt. I have verified pin 2 ground, pin 3 PTT, and pin 6 SQL
        > (COS) on the FT8100R. 73 Jim WH7CD

        All other connections can be used from the mini din connector on the back of the
        radio.

        73

        Marshall - ke6pcv
        www.irlpcables.com
      • Klaus Rung
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
          The pin 5 data output audio at 300mv is most likely
          not deemphasized audio so will not be the proper audio
          to use into the irlp sound card as it will sound like
          you are talking into a tin can. Normally speaker audio
          quality is what you want.

          You could however build a deemphasis network and pass
          that audio through it to bring it back to deemhasized
          audio quality.

          --- James Hall <thecoldduck@...> wrote:

          > We plan to use a FT8100R which has the standard mini
          > Din connector as
          > the TM V-71 and others. I just want to make sure
          > that the pin 1 data
          > input with a max 40mv pp is good for audio input to
          > the FT8100R and
          > that the pin 5 data out with 300mv pp max will drive
          > the embedded for
          > its audio input requirement. I just want to make
          > sure I don't have to
          > pick up the ext spr output for audio out from rcvr
          > and pick up the mic
          > input for xmt. I have verified pin 2 ground, pin 3
          > PTT, and pin 6 SQL
          > (COS) on the FT8100R. 73 Jim WH7CD

          Best regards,
          Klaus Rung, VE3KR

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
            Dont you want to run the MIC and PTT from the microphone connector? On
            other Yaesus I have worked with, the mic is muted when the rear
            connector PTT is used.

            Dave Cameron

            Marshall Oldham wrote:
            > James,
            >
            >> We plan to use a FT8100R which has the standard mini Din connector as
            >> the TM V-71 and others. I just want to make sure that the pin 1 data
            >> input with a max 40mv pp is good for audio input to the FT8100R
            >
            > Pin 1 on the FT-8100R mini din connector does not add pre-emphasis to the transmit audio.
            > (It is set up to 9600 baud packet) All IRLP traffic audio coming from the internet will sound muddy.
            >
            > I suggest that you use the mic input for transmit audio so that pre-emphasis is
            > correctly added to your IRLP transmit audio.
            >

            >> and
            >> that the pin 5 data out with 300mv pp max will drive the embedded for
            >> its audio input requirement. I just want to make sure I don't have to
            >> pick up the ext spr output for audio out from rcvr and pick up the mic
            >> input for xmt. I have verified pin 2 ground, pin 3 PTT, and pin 6 SQL
            >> (COS) on the FT8100R. 73 Jim WH7CD
            >>

            > All other connections can be used from the mini din connector on the back of the
            > radio.
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Marshall - ke6pcv
            > www.irlpcables.com

          • James Hall
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, Klaus Rung <k_rung@...> wrote:
              >Thanks for all the input I was afraid I would have to use all three
              connections to get waht we wanted. Jim WH7CD>
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Marshall Oldham
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
                Dave,

                Good catch!

                On the newer Yaesu radios there is a menu setting option that you can toggle on an off to enable/disable the mic during packet
                operation.

                I just looked through the FT8100R manual and it does say that "During packet operation using the rear data jack, the microphone does
                not need to be disconnected, as PTT activation via the data jack does NOT enable the microphone."

                For the 8100R radio you would want to use the PTT mic input on the front of the radio so that transmit audio will work.

                I guess it would be easier (safer) to use the Mic Input PTT line on the front of the radio for all the cables that I make. Don't
                think I have made one of these cables for an FT-8100R before.

                Marshall - ke6pcv