Re: [irlp-embedded] DSP Squelch

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      The motherboard has tons of unused power. I just dont have the knowledge
      or time to program the DSP functions....

      There may be a way that you could split the left and right inputs of the
      sound card, one to feed pre-emp, one to feed de-emph, and process the two
      signals separately... In other words you would do DSP and PL detect on the
      pre-emp audio, and gate the de-emph audio.

      I dont know how one would write code to split the two channels into
      separate DSP streams in linux, but I am sure it could be done.

      Then you could control the audio mixing of the de-emph channel. The mixer
      is very versatile.

      Good ideas, but well out of the scope of what I can do now, sorry.

      Dave Cameron

      On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Tim Sawyer wrote:

      >> As for PL decode/squelch:
      >>
      >> 1) Yes it is possible, BUT, the problem is that the input audio would have
      >> to be send straight from the receiver (pre-emphasized and unsquelched).
      >>

      > Unsquelched rx audio is a given (else there'd be no noise) and very common on
      > radios in repeater service. Pre-emp/de-emp thing could be a problem as that
      > would effect how much noise gets to the DSP chip.
      >

      >> 2) Anything to do with software DSP decoding is processor intensive, and
      >> requires full access to the sound card.
      >>

      > Yeah, and I have no idea if the embedded motherboard has enough processor for
      > that sort of thing.
      >

      >> 3) Why replace a perfectly good squelch ciruit in the MASTR-II :)
      >>

      > Because not everybody has a MSTR II. Your embedded system could add that
      > much-sought-after motorola squelch to any japtrack. Plus you could do things
      > like tighten or loosen the squelch remotely, you could change the hysteresis
      > to 3, 6, or 10db, and the timing could be fine tuned. In short, you could
      > have better squelch than motorola.
      >
      > I'm just thinking that more the embedded node can do the more attractive and
      > cost-effective it becomes. As it is now it makes a pretty good basic repeater
      > controller. I'm seriously thinking about replacing one of my older
      > controllers with the node.
      >

      > :wq
      > Tim

    • Ted Maczulat
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Dave

        Not that I want to add to your overload.

        There is some stream splitting code in the listener package I use to record
        radio traffic for the volunteer fire department here.

        In the source file "lsp.c" is simple but effective code to split the left
        and right channels into separate streams.
        http://www.vanheusden.com/listener/listener-1.7.2.tgz

        Just FYI

        Keep up the good work...and thanks...
        Ted, VE7TFM