Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Kenwood TM-V71A Interface cable to Embedded System

Expand Messages
  • VK3FGRC
    ... THANKS VERY MUCH
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "VK3FGRC" <vk3fgrc@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi all,
      > I would like to know if the interface cable supplied is configured to
      > match the irlp embedded system, or does the cable need to be modified.
      > Thanks
      > Peter
      > VK3FGRC
      >
      THANKS VERY MUCH
    • Nate Duehr
      ... The manual shows both 9600 and 1200 baud packet pins on that data connector. Usually the 1200 is de-emphasized on most rigs. Did they not de-emphasize
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        dcameron@... wrote:
        > The only difference is that the tranmit mic audio needs to be connected to pin 9 of the connector.
        >
        > However, you can still use the audio connectors on the back of the motherboad (the headphone style ones).
        >
        > One note of caution: it appears that if you use the data jack to feed the transmitted audio, it will sound muddy, as it does not feed through the pre-emphasis filter.
        >
        > Dave

        The manual shows both 9600 and 1200 baud "packet" pins on that data
        connector.

        Usually the 1200 is de-emphasized on most rigs. Did they not
        de-emphasize the 1200 baud pin on the rig, Dave?

        Nate
      • David Cameron (IRLP)
        The problem is not the received audio, it is the transmitted audio (the mic side). The data jacks often are designed to feed the transmit audio from a TNC into
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          The problem is not the received audio, it is the transmitted audio (the
          mic side).

          The data jacks often are designed to feed the transmit audio from a TNC
          into the radio's exciter. The problem is that the line that feeds from
          the data jack often bypasses the microphone "pre-emphasis" circuit. This
          is actually proper, by design. It does not work for our setup though.

          Most radios I have seen need to have the transmit audio (and PTT) fed
          into the modular mic connector for proper audio.

          Dave Cameron


          Nate Duehr wrote:
          >
          >
          > dcameron@... <mailto:dcameron%40irlp.net> wrote:
          > > The only difference is that the tranmit mic audio needs to be
          > connected to pin 9 of the connector.
          > >
          > > However, you can still use the audio connectors on the back of the
          > motherboad (the headphone style ones).
          > >
          > > One note of caution: it appears that if you use the data jack to feed
          > the transmitted audio, it will sound muddy, as it does not feed through
          > the pre-emphasis filter.
          > >
          > > Dave
          >
          > The manual shows both 9600 and 1200 baud "packet" pins on that data
          > connector.
          >
          > Usually the 1200 is de-emphasized on most rigs. Did they not
          > de-emphasize the 1200 baud pin on the rig, Dave?
          >
          > Nate
          >
          >
        • Nate Duehr
          ... Ahhh... yes, got it. Nate
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
            David Cameron (IRLP) wrote:
            > The problem is not the received audio, it is the transmitted audio (the
            > mic side).
            >
            > The data jacks often are designed to feed the transmit audio from a TNC
            > into the radio's exciter. The problem is that the line that feeds from
            > the data jack often bypasses the microphone "pre-emphasis" circuit. This
            > is actually proper, by design. It does not work for our setup though.
            >
            > Most radios I have seen need to have the transmit audio (and PTT) fed
            > into the modular mic connector for proper audio.
            >
            > Dave Cameron

            Ahhh... yes, got it.

            Nate
          • va3tem
            Does anyone know if the interface cable for the Kenwood TMD 710 A would be the same as the Kenwood TM-V71A interface cable pinout showen Thanks Tim VA3TEM /
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2007
              Does anyone know if the interface cable for the Kenwood TMD 710 A
              would be the same as the Kenwood TM-V71A interface cable pinout showen

              Thanks Tim
              VA3TEM / M0TEM

              --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "garyp609" <gary.paul@...>
              wrote:
              >
              > The cable needs to be modified. I just got done doing that. There
              is a photo of the
              > connections in this newsgroup showing the data connector and DB9
              connections.
              > Craiginhouston posted it and was very helpful to me.
              > 73's
              > Gary
              >
              >
              > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "VK3FGRC" <vk3fgrc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi all,
              > > I would like to know if the interface cable supplied is
              configured to
              > > match the irlp embedded system, or does the cable need to be
              modified.
              > > Thanks
              > > Peter
              > > VK3FGRC
              > >
              >
            • Craig
              It seems that Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu are moving to one common interface for packet radio centered around the same connector as the old PS2 computer mouse
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2007
                It seems that Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu are moving to one common
                interface for packet radio centered around the same connector as the
                old PS2 computer mouse connector. This makes it very handy since you
                can go to the computer store and buy a PS2 mouse extension cable for
                a few dollars and cut it in half for building an interface cable
                between your radio and your computer. I would assume that the V71
                radio is using the same interface as all the rest of the kenwood
                radios. A quick check of your radio's owner's manual to make sure
                the pins on the jack of your radio are the same as the pins described
                in the pinout diagrams in the photos area of this group would let you
                know for sure.


                --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "va3tem" <va3tem@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > Does anyone know if the interface cable for the Kenwood TMD 710 A
                > would be the same as the Kenwood TM-V71A interface cable pinout
                showen
                >
                > Thanks Tim
                > VA3TEM / M0TEM
                >
                > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "garyp609" <gary.paul@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > The cable needs to be modified. I just got done doing that. There
                > is a photo of the
                > > connections in this newsgroup showing the data connector and DB9
                > connections.
                > > Craiginhouston posted it and was very helpful to me.
                > > 73's
                > > Gary
                > >
                > >
                > > --- In irlp-embedded@yahoogroups.com, "VK3FGRC" <vk3fgrc@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi all,
                > > > I would like to know if the interface cable supplied is
                > configured to
                > > > match the irlp embedded system, or does the cable need to be
                > modified.
                > > > Thanks
                > > > Peter
                > > > VK3FGRC
                > > >
                > >
                >
              • Craig
                I m using the Alinco DR-135 with my two embedded nodes. Someone in this group recommended that radio and it works great. This radio has a very large head sink
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2007
                  I'm using the Alinco DR-135 with my two embedded nodes. Someone in
                  this group recommended that radio and it works great. This radio has
                  a very large head sink which with a couple of fans stays cool even
                  with 100 percent duty cycle. It also has PL decode properly wired to
                  the COS output to the embedded controller which is important for
                  keeping noise out of the IRLP network.

                  I have uploaded a wiring diagram to the photos area of this group for
                  the Alinco DR-135 two meter rig. I believe that same diagram also
                  applies to the Alinco DR-235 (220 MHz) and the DR-435 (440 MHz)


                  The two meter radio is available from Ham Radio Outlet for $169 with
                  free shipping inside the USA. Its also sales tax free if you don't
                  live in a state where an HRO store is located.

                  http://www.hamradio.com/


                  The owners manual can be found here:

                  http://www.alinco.com/usa.html



                  A few more links for the Alinco DR-135:

                  http://www.alinco.com/Products/DR-135/

                  http://www.alinco.com/faq.html

                  http://www.ham.dmz.ro/alinco/dr135mk2.php


                  Here is a link to many ham radio manufacturer's manuals

                  http://www.aesham.com/manuals.shtml
                • Nate Duehr
                  ... The only complaint I ve seen from Alinco radio owners with these is the relatively slow CTCSS decoder. It takes a long time to figure out that a valid
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 27, 2007
                    On Oct 27, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Craig wrote:

                    >
                    > I'm using the Alinco DR-135 with my two embedded nodes. Someone in
                    > this group recommended that radio and it works great. This radio has
                    > a very large head sink which with a couple of fans stays cool even
                    > with 100 percent duty cycle. It also has PL decode properly wired to
                    > the COS output to the embedded controller which is important for
                    > keeping noise out of the IRLP network.

                    The only complaint I've seen from Alinco radio owners with these is
                    the relatively slow CTCSS decoder. It takes a long time to figure out
                    that a valid CTCSS signal went away.

                    Here's a link to someone who fixed the problem by using an aftermarket
                    Communications Specialists TS-64 encode/decode board for a decoder:

                    http://www.irlpcables.com/AlincoTS64.html

                    > I have uploaded a wiring diagram to the photos area of this group for
                    > the Alinco DR-135 two meter rig. I believe that same diagram also
                    > applies to the Alinco DR-235 (220 MHz) and the DR-435 (440 MHz)

                    I believe you are correct. The only other thing to watch out for is
                    that these radios come now with the "optional" packet board installed
                    and wired to the rear DB-9 connector. That board typically has to be
                    removed/disconnected and the radio cable reconnected to the DB-9, I
                    believe.

                    > The two meter radio is available from Ham Radio Outlet for $169 with
                    > free shipping inside the USA. Its also sales tax free if you don't
                    > live in a state where an HRO store is located.

                    And with 2m as busy as it is in most metropolitan areas, 2m is a
                    really poor choice for a node that's going to get used a lot. 440 is
                    better and 220 is a wide-open playground that needs activity anyway.
                    Pay the few extra bucks for the higher bands.

                    --
                    Nate Duehr, WY0X
                    nate@...
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.